What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL season structure

POPEYE

Coach
Good luck in your own little world, Jamie Lyon would have made more than the difference for NSW years ago. F**k Origin if it interferes with what most of us want from the League season, especially when we could have our cake and eat it too

franklin2323

Immortal
Good luck in your own little world, Jamie Lyon would have made more than the difference for NSW years ago. F**k Origin if it interferes with what most of us want from the League season, especially when we could have our cake and eat it too

Why was the stand alone Origin dropped after 2001 season if it was such a success?

We have tried it before. It was dropped and returned to mid-week that is forgotten in this argument

Billythekid

First Grade
People that are for the games 3 weeks in arow. Tell me this: Would SOO be as good with players out?

Smith, Farah, Maloney, Gallen, Lewis probably others I have forgotten. Missed more then a week after an Origin game in the new structure they miss Origin instead of a bye or who ever they play.

I know I would rather watch full strength Origin rather then Full strength club sides.

There is no reason to assume that there would be more injured players if it was a standalone period. Right now the players have to back up from origin and play another regular game after that. If anything they are probably more like to get injured under the current set-up.

franklin2323

Immortal
There is no reason to assume that there would be more injured players if it was a standalone period. Right now the players have to back up from origin and play another regular game after that. If anything they are probably more like to get injured under the current set-up.

No one forces them to back up for their clubs.

Cameron Smith stitches in the eye.
Robbie Farah broken cheek
James Maloney cheekbone

All 2-3 week injuries. Yet all could play all 3 Origins. Play all 3 in a row they miss games weakened squads for starters.

We give the players 10 days off minimum pre Origin it gives us the quality we get now. Standalone weekends won't give us this.

Valheru

Coach
People that are for the games 3 weeks in arow. Tell me this: Would SOO be as good with players out?
Smith, Farah, Maloney, Gallen, Lewis probably others I have forgotten. Missed more then a week after an Origin game in the new structure they miss Origin instead of a bye or who ever they play.
I know I would rather watch full strength Origin rather then Full strength club sides.

It works both ways, going by that logic Hayne and Gallen would have played in all 3 games as they were injured more than 2 weeks after the first game.

In any event I guarantee Maloney, Smith and Farah would have backed up the following week for origin. Maloney for example missed the club game 5 days later but played the following one.

franklin2323

Immortal
It works both ways, going by that logic Hayne and Gallen would have played in all 3 games as they were injured more than 2 weeks after the first game.

In any event I guarantee Maloney, Smith and Farah would have backed up the following week for origin. Maloney for example missed the club game 5 days later but played the following one.

Of course it does. I am just pointing out flaws in Stand alone games. IF Maloney did backup he wouldn't of been 100% for the next Origin then we weaken that. Add to that Channel 9 would want compo for no other games and Origin moving nights. Keep it as is.

hutch

First Grade
I don't see how it could bite into the tv contract. There would still be the same amount of rounds, just spread out over a longer period. Origin could be played on Sunday nights which is the highest rating night of the week. There would be extra rep games to be played on fox sports in nz origin, island test matches and under 20's origin. It is a better result for the sport as a whole, not just Australian origin players.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't see how it could bite into the tv contract. There would still be the same amount of rounds, just spread out over a longer period. Origin could be played on Sunday nights which is the highest rating night of the week. There would be extra rep games to be played on fox sports in nz origin, island test matches and under 20's origin. It is a better result for the sport as a whole, not just Australian origin players.

Channel 9 showed with theie attitude towards the World Cup what they think of tests. SOO gives 9 an extra night. While that's still on there's no change to the games 9 broadcast. Hopefully next deal 9's gone and we can change this sort of stuff

Tommy Smith

Referee
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...lling-club-footy/story-fni3fbgz-1226675611108

I know its a telegraph article and there are some poorly veiled agendas in the article, but it does make a fair point.

Being spaced so far apart, the SOO series does lose some momentum. Plus no one cares about club footy (except when there club is losing players to the Origin teams)

So what do yous think about suspending the season for a few weeks?

Personally I would stop it for 5 weeks and have an Origin game every 2 weeks on a Sunday night and have a big Grand Final-type festival day like the one DSmith was talking about. They would be able to have the full 25 man squads together for the whole 5 weeks which would be great for promotional stuff.

And to fill in the gaps put this 9-a-side comp on in the lead up days and the off weeks (Im sure they could put together enough teams to make that work; intentional teams, under 20's players, ect.)

Edit: Oh and ..... after five weeks of no club footy it would be like coming from an off season. the club fans would be excited and i imagine the crowds would get a nice boost.

Aaaaand you would get rid of the uneven bye structure and those crappy bye weekend where there are only like three games
I could not agree more with this idea. I there even any NRL on last weekend? You could have fooled me.

The farcical Bulldogs-Storm game is surely the death knell for the current structure.

I HATE Origin for the way it destroys no less than one fourth of the competition. I don't mean ruin ... I mean turning it into a complete farce.