What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL season

ozjet1

what are thoughts regarding the current format of the NRL season.

imo, 26 rounds (or 24 matches per club) is too long a season for top grade rugby league. add to this finals & representative matches, we have our elite players lacing up for 30-odd matches. league isn't a contact sport, it is a crash sport putting enormous strain on its participants. we're shortening the careers of these guys.

i think 18 - 20 rounds should be an absolute maximum.

Mr Saab

Referee
cut down the season tooo much and some clubs will go broke as you will be restricting their home matches.
Best thing we can do is bring in the 16th team and have the draw like it was in 1994...the last yr of the 16 team comp.
OR.
You could cut down the clubs to 12 and have a 22 round home and away draw, but that will never happen and i dont want it to happen.

ozjet1 said:

imo, 26 rounds (or 24 matches per club) is too long a season for top grade rugby league. add to this finals & representative matches, we have our elite players lacing up for 30-odd matches. league isn't a contact sport, it is a crash sport putting enormous strain on its participants. we're shortening the careers of these guys.

I work 48 weeks a year in a job that I am not particularly enjoying, and get paid 30,000 a year for it.

They work a lot less then that and get paid on average between 100,000 - 200,000 minimum of 50,000 for doing something they love.

Leave it the way it is cause its guys/gals like me that bust our arses and look forward to the footy every week, cut the tri-nations a bit as even big league supporters I know couldnt care less but dont stop us from seeing our players and clubs.

As they bring a lot of joy into our rather mundane existances.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I dont care who the 16th team is, as long as there are no byes and the draw is exactly like 1994:

*(22 rounds) Play everyone once, then play the first seven teams again towards the end of the regular season. Instead of having it where you play a team once then play them again in a few weeks. Or play the same team twice in the back end of the season.
*Split rounds during Origin/rep matches

Also with less rounds, it can make way for more test matches or internationals. It's important to have more international games.

McLovin

Staff member
Knight82 said:
ozjet1 said:

I work 48 weeks a year in a job that I am not particularly enjoying, and get paid 30,000 a year for it.

They work a lot less then that and get paid on average between 100,000 - 200,000 minimum of 50,000 for doing something they love.

Leave it the way it is cause its guys/gals like me that bust our arses and look forward to the footy every week, cut the tri-nations a bit as even big league supporters I know couldnt care less but dont stop us from seeing our players and clubs.

Very well said. Im sick of hearing coaches and players whining about how long the season is and how much of a strain it puts on them. Id like to see them work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and getting payed around 1/4 of what they are getting payed now doing something that isnt very fulfilling. The best part of my week is watching the footy on the weekends, cut that down and ill go crazy...

dimitri

First Grade
if clubs want to shorten the season

cut out the ridiculous amount of trial matches they have

we need more rep games not less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dimitri said:
if clubs want to shorten the season

cut out the ridiculous amount of trial matches they have

we need more rep games not less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They only have two actually...... Dont know if thats a ridiculous amount though it was for my team sustained about bloody 6 injuries. But believe the two trials are an integral thing.

Shorten the preseason to about 3 months and not 5 to me thats the bit thats ridiculously long.

Manly Lad

Juniors
Back in 1983 didn't some of the players play 40+ games and this on the back of the 82 Kangaroo tour and many of them on other full-time jobs.

Leave things the way they are. These players are on massive amounts of money to train 5/6 days per week and play the game they love on the weekends, as well as endorse the game to the public through appearances, charity auctions and country junkets. Tell me anyone who doesn't want to do that for between $50k and $500k a year.

The Aussie cricketers complain of the same thing. They are too tired and drained out, and then the lure of a county cricket contract comes their way and they sign up without thinking.

The footy season is short enough. We all waited 7 months for it to start again,ay longer and people will go crazy!!! :D

ozjet1

Connell said:
Knight82 said:
ozjet1 said:

Very well said. Im sick of hearing coaches and players whining about how long the season is and how much of a strain it puts on them. Id like to see them work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and getting payed around 1/4 of what they are getting payed now doing something that isnt very fulfilling. The best part of my week is watching the footy on the weekends, cut that down and ill go crazy...
a shortening of the season does not imply players will get more time off. if you've done any sort of footy training, you'd realise that off/pre-season training is much more intense than in-season work.

imo, these guys will still only receive their 4-6 weeks off at the end of the season but, they'll be back into training in November for the upcoming season.

but, the wear & tear of 30-odd games of football season after season is extreme. no matter how fit or strong a player is, this extreme match stress will take its toll.

& international football should be encouraged. not only is it reward for the best players but, it another method of growing the game.

Latest posts