What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL slaps Politis with $20,000 fine

nqboy

First Grade
From smh.com.au
October 1, 2004 - 11:24AM

Sydney Roosters chairman Nick Politis has been hit with a $20,000 fine by the NRL for comments he made about the judiciary.

The comments related to the failure of Roosters forward Luke Ricketson to have a grade three striking charge downgraded this week.

Ricketson will now miss this Sunday's grand final clash against the Bulldogs at Telstra Stadium.

"The passion of a grand final does not change what has been a basic principle of the NRL and the game over a long period," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

"We have a system that allows people a great deal of room in which to express opinions without attacking people's integrity.

"There are clear boundaries and clubs know that they will be fined if their representatives cross those boundaries," he said.

The Roosters have five working days in which to answer the breach notice.

aussielegend77

Juniors
this reaks of nazism.

Gallop runs NRL like he is hitler what he says goes, change the rules to suit ourselves attitude.

why cant people speak there minds about referee decisions, judiciary proceedings, the direction of the nrl without copping a $10,000 fine it is ridiculous.

in other words what the real rule is, if we dont like what you say on any topic we will slap you with a fine. If you dont do as i say we will cancel the Dally M 2003, If you wear unsuitable clothing to a police questioning session (even later to be acquitted of the allegation) we will fine you $10,000. If I (david Gallop) wish to change the rules in regards to external contracts in order to be able to keep Andrew Johns in rugby league and at newcastle i will do so, but if anyone does it without my knowledge they will be fined for salary cap breaches or in extreme cases (canterbury 2002) BE KICKED OUT OF THE COMP. If fans of anyteam cause riots or disrupt the safety of fans the team of the fans will be deducted competition points (cant wait to by an opposition teams juersey one way to gat the dragons in the semis). But all of the above will come under one heading.

BRINGING THE GAME INTO DISREPUTE!

what a joke if the game was a strong as it used to be it couldn't be brought into DISREPUTE.

BRING BACK THE OLD DAYS WHEN PEOPLE FOLLOWED THE GAME NOT THE PLAYERS.

troydodds

Juniors
This may shock you but the game IS better than it used to be. Look at crowds compared to 20 years ago. Considering what we've been through, we are in excellent shape.

I say fair enough in regards to the fines. We can't make it open slather.

El Diablo

Post Whore
You are a dead set idiot. People have been getting fined for years. It's not a Gallop thing. Brian Smith even copped fines commentating on games his team wasn't involved in.

If I'm not mistaken it was the Canterbury club itself that fined the players, not Gallop.

aussielegend77

Juniors
YEAH IM THE IDIOT
JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN GETTING FINED FOR YEARS MAKES IT ALRIGHT

ONLY SINCE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN GETTING FINED HAS THE DECLINE IN RUGBY LEAGUE BEEN STEADY.

RUGBY LEAGUE OVER THE LAST 10 YEARS HAS LOST MORE FANS THEN IT HAS GAINED AND YOU CANT DENY THAT. AND THE REASON IS THE ADMINISTRATION.

JUST CAUSE YOUR INTELLECT RESTRICTS YOU FROM THINKING DEEPLY INTO SUBJECT THERE IS NO NEED TO RESORT TO PERSONAL ATTACKS TOWARDS PEOPLE YOU DONT EVEN KNOW

Big Mick

Referee
Politis should shut his mouth. What he said in the paper today was just stupid. How did it not deserve that charge, with any other player it would have been refered to the judiciary and get done, but due to his clean record he only got 3 weeks and got it graded. He should be buying a lottery ticket.

aussielegend77

Juniors
LET ME TELL YOU HOW MR DEVIL WORSHIPPER FINES HAVE DECLINED RL.

back in the day coaches were interviewed after the game by the media and if they thought the referee stuffed up they would say so, the media would print it and every one would talk about it all week. the losing fans would feel they were hard done by and whinge and complain thinking they were robbed. all this sort of speculation whether a referee stuffed up or not, whether it impacted on the game etc would play on the teams and the fans minds until they played each other again, the next time you would be garanteed a great game the media would talk it up all week leading into the game, fans would get excited constantly reminded how they were robbed last time players fired up passion excitement ATTENDANCE ATMOSPHERE. NOT today once the whistle sound these days thats the last you hear of that match unless some one goes to the judiciary. there is no passion in the game anymore no rivalry's like the good old days (MANLY vs WESTS) when it didnt matter if it was the last round of the comp and they were second last and last on the table and game had no impact on the finals you were still garanteed and massive game cause they hated each other but still had a beer together afterwards.

by censoring coaches and players comment s about the game you give the fans nothing to build up passion about.

look at the passion in melbourne for the afl teams thats passion for the sport.

blackfriday

Juniors
yeah the NRL and also other sports fine people for really trivial things. i remember matt nicholson being suspended for saying he wasn't sure what state he was playing for next season.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Mr Devil Worshipper :lol:

Did you see the fines the AFL handed out to the players last night?

Idiot.