What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL State of Origin in 3D

Helen

Juniors
The 3D viewing experience is about to make the leap into lounge rooms for this year's State of Origin rugby league matches.
All three games between NSW and Queensland will be filmed in 3D format, the Nine Network said in a statement on Tuesday.
It will be the first time a sporting event has been broadcast live using 3D technology for free-to-air television.
Article

gronkathon

First Grade
You wouldn't want to get too much booze into you.

Imagine if you have a skin full and glance up at the TV to see 70calitre charging at you in 3D.

Depending on how drunk you are you may either sh*t yourself or get up and try and put a big hit on, thus ruining TV

Johns Magic

Referee
So without knowing the 3D-Technology specifics outside of the Avatar experience, is this saying that no glasses or special TV's or anything are needed but it will be 3D? If so, surely most sport will be in 3D in a couple of years' time...

Danish

Referee
You'll need a 3D television to view the broadcast, and all current 3D tv's require glasses of some sort to work.

So essentially this will only be available to the select few who purchase a 3D tv prior to origin.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I might be one of the only people I know of who'll be able to take advantage of this 3D broadcast... our old TV carked it recently and Samsung's 3D plasmas are actually cheaper than any equivalent LED on the market so we'll have a set that can watch this.

.... pity I'll be at the game watching it live then :lol:

The Plasmas are cheaper because they chew up to x4 the power LED sets do.

Not worth it imo

Danish

Referee
The Plasmas are cheaper because they chew up to x4 the power LED sets do.

Not worth it imo

My power bills for my whole house are $1200 per year. The LED equivalent of the plasma I'm getting is $1500 more expensive and 3" smaller.

Somehow I doubt my power bills will go up by enough to justify such a massive price difference in the 3-4 years before replacement.

forward pass

Coach
As a plain old 2d viewer, I can already see that Nine is going to drive us all f**king mad on Wednesday with this constant 3D crap. I am sick of it already but the whole coverage will be built around it - which is pretty silly given the number of 2d watchers to 3d!!

adamkungl

Immortal
But the different camera angles that get the best out of the 3D are different to your traditional viewing. More like taking a seat at the game and doesnt allow the benefits of watching a game on the box.

On this note - everyone take a look at the 9-3D channel. Currently it's just playing random music over the Newcastle v Wests game, and unless you're watching on a 3D TV it will display 2 separate pictures (the 3D TV interpolates them).

However note the camera angles. Gone are the irritating far-too-close ups of every ruck. It's a bit more pulled back. You can see the ruck AND the defensive line. You can see where the backline is set up, rather than an extreme close up of every single ruck.

I only watched 30 seconds or so, so hopefully it wasn't just a coincidence

petetheileet

First Grade
went to the samsung 3d demo in parra last week and sports look like it will be nuts!!!!!

they showed sprinting in the demo and even that was nuts

so clear and detailed as well! not like watching something at the cinemas!

Latest posts