What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL team for Christchurch??

Timbo

Staff member
ThrashViking said:
Hamilton should be considered as another option, they sold out a trial between the Warriors and Dragons with no first grade players in the side.

It's a bit close to Aukland though isn't it?

Having said that it's got one of the only true rectangular grounds of decent capacity in NZ.

ThrashViking

Juniors
Hamiltonians dont exactly get on with Aucklanders, they deserve a couple of nrl games (They've got one this year against the Eels I think)

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
In what?
The last game in Wellington started at 8.30pm and still managed over 13,000.

True. I was going to make that point but just couldn't bother typing any more.

nqboy

First Grade
Another vote for a Wellington/Christchurch split. They are the Southern Orcas after all.

The best plan I think would be for the Warriors and the "Orcas" to play two games a year at Christchurch that way the NRL could gauge if Christchurch could be the real deal and support a NRL team.

iggy plop

First Grade
Glen said:
I'm from Dunedin, now in Sydney, and I've gotta say, no one down there gives a crap about rugby league. The Bulldogs did pull a few good crowds with the Warriors in Christchurch but haven't they decreased every time since the first one? Maybe one day but not any time soon

You mean Wellington, not Christchurch.

Glen

Bench
bender said:
Glen said:
I'm from Dunedin, now in Sydney, and I've gotta say, no one down there gives a crap about rugby league. The Bulldogs did pull a few good crowds with the Warriors in Christchurch but haven't they decreased every time since the first one? Maybe one day but not any time soon

I could be wrong but i am 90% sure that the bulldogs games were all at Wellington and not Christchurch. I am also fairly certain that Christchurch has generally had roughly 1 game per year or so for a while now and this is the first time I can remember them getting a good crowd (ie in excess of 12000 to 15000). It was an excellent crowd to build on but they have a long way to go, before showing that they could sustain a team.
oops, yeah. Got mixed up, the Dogs games were in Wellington

NZ Warrior

First Grade
They did say that they would take games to other parts of the country and signalled they would take 2 games down South.

Something the Warriors have failed to do.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Don't make me give you 2 weeks on the OWN3D LIST!!!!

Are you going to tell me how you do that little TM thing? If you do, I'll consider removing you from the OWN3D List.

NZ Warrior said:
Don't make me give you 2 weeks on the OWN3D LIST!!!!

Are you going to tell me how you do that little TM thing? If you do, I'll consider removing you from the OWN3D List.

You list means nothing because you have now officially been Owned™. 8)

NZ Warrior

First Grade
You fool, you can't own the Master of OWN3RSHIP. I'm giving you another week for you insolence, pray I don't add any more.

mightybears

Bench
source:
http://stats.rleague.com/rl/rl_index.html

NRL matches in Wellington
27724 Canterbury v Warriors 07-Apr-2001
24251 Canterbury v Warriors 20-Apr-2002
21989 Canterbury v Warriors 02-May-2003
13772 Canterbury v Warriors 16-Apr-2004
13130 Canberra v Warriors 23-May-2003

NRL matches in Christchurch
18421 Wests_Tigers v Warriors 09-Apr-2005