What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL teams - Round 1

last year the teams were usually named every tuesday, If this year there is a team playing on monday, will their team be named the next day?

Brad Joyce

Juniors
jimmy_the_greek said:
last year the teams were usually named every tuesday, If this year there is a team playing on monday, will their team be named the next day?

Yep, we've had Monday games in recent years, and the teams are still named on the Tuesday.

Nugby

Juniors
Teams are only named on the Tuesday night so they can be printed in Big League, otherwise it'd be done later in the week. It's not as though the team named on Tuesday has to be anything like the team that's actually announced an hour before the game anyway, just ask Brian Smith.

Stagger eel

Staff member
can't wait till tomorrow afternoon...team selection days are always are always exciting during the season.

Eddie. said:
Sheens spilt the beans at the BLC Meeting apparently. OHara didn't make the 17, Harrison did. Gibbs will start and Galloway off the bench. According to someone at the meeting on Sunday anyway.

whats the bet ohara goes over here as the 18th man and still goes in ahead of bronson i saw it way too much last year

BrisVegas

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21370652-23214,00.html

Test fullback in shock reshuffle

By Matt Marshall
March 13, 2007

BRISBANE coach Wayne Bennett is poised to drop a selection bombshell, with Broncos and Australia fullback Karmichael Hunt set to play halfback against North Queensland on Friday night.

In a shock reshuffle, Hunt is likely to be given the task of shutting down Cowboys skipper Johnathan Thurston, with grand final playmaker Shane Perry becoming the first major casualty of Brisbane's indifferent trial form and World Club Challenge loss.

To accommodate the positional switch, grand final fullback Justin Hodges is expected to revert to the No.1 jumper after playing in the centres during both the World Club Challenge and Australia's successful Tri-Nations campaign late last year.

Hunt spent yesterday's training session at Red Hill attacking alongside Lockyer at first receiver.

He was responsible for generating fifth-tackle options and defending outside hard-hitting lock Tonie Carroll in the front line during a simulated session in oppressive heat.

Hunt also received running tips from assistant coach Ivan Henjak.

Perry had to be content to share playmaking duties with new signing Brent McConnell.

Bennett will lock the doors on his team's training session at Suncorp Stadium today, adding weight to speculation he is set to pull a selection shock.

Bennett, who has previously indicated a number of his grand final players spots were under pressure, refused to be drawn on selection matters yesterday.

But both Hunt and Hodges spoke of their desire to assume more significant attacking roles this season.

"I'm a person who enjoys getting the ball as much as I can," Hunt said.

"Not taking anything away from Locky and Shane and all those other players, but it's always good to get involved and put your own mark on the game.

"It's only natural, as you get older, you start to get more confidence around the senior players and tend to get more involved."

Hodges admitted, from a purely attacking standpoint, that fullback was his preferred spot, but with the club's season opener just three days away he is happy to fit anywhere into Brisbane's top 17.

"I like tackling so that's one downfall (at fullback) but hopefully I can save more energy and just do more attacking," Hodges said.

"There's only a couple of days to go and I can't wait to get back out there and get that feeling again."

Centre is proving Bennett's major headache, with boom youngster Joel Moon and Redcliffe signing Nick Emmett vying for one spot alongside Test star Brent Tate.

Darius Boyd and Steve Michaels are virtually assured wing spots.

Tigers fans this is the side:
1. Hodgson (fitness test)
2. Moodie
3. Collis
4. Whatuira
5. Lawrence
6. Lord
7. Morris
8. Payten
9. Benny Jr
10. Gibbs
11. Galea B