What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL to hunt down Mickey Rourke: Freddie Quagmire

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25857177-19742,00.html

NRL to hunt down Max Rooke: Eddie McGuire
Article from: Herald Sun

Eliza Sewell, MX

July 30, 2009 12:40pm

EDDIE McGuire says Max Rooke could be the first target in a "retaliatory strike" from the NRL after the poaching of Karmichael Hunt.

Hunt will switch codes at the end of the Brisbane Broncos’ season after signing a three-year
deal with the AFL’s new Gold Coast club.

While many are predicting further defections, McGuire said the AFL should be wary of an NRL retaliation.

"The last time they (the NRL) had something like this was when Super League came in and they went berserk," McGuire said on SEN.

"Max Rooke (Cats' hard man) has spoken in recent times about maybe wanting to play rugby league.

‘‘I reckon he’s going to get a cheque put in front of his manager by somebody in rugby league in a retaliatory strike in about 10 seconds.

"They will be going through everyone’s list and having a dip too, don’t think it’s going to be one-way traffic. The psyche in Sydney is not so much to think, but to just smash."

McGuire also said Hunt’s signing was an important step in trying to change the opinion of AFL in the northern states.

League stars Greg Inglis, Johnathan Thurston and Billy Slater head a list of dream signings for the AFL.

Inglis is signed with Storm until the end of 2012, but his manager Allan Gainey said a change wasn’t out of the question.

"Look, Greg is a rugby league player but who knows what the future holds? He will only be 25 when he comes off contract at the Storm,’’ Gainey said.

Slater’s manager, George Mimis, said AFL clubs were already interested in the Melbourne Storm fullback.

"He has re-signed with the Storm but you would never say never," Mimis said.

Tex_21

Juniors
lol at the managers trying to pump up their next contracts. Slater, Inglis etc won't come to AR.

Why the hell would anyone want an AFL player for an NRL team?

Does McChins know anything about the game which was Channel 9's flagship sport whilst he was the CEO?

I will piss myself laughing at any CEO stupid enough to chase this Mick Rorke bloke with a cheque with anything over 50 bucks on it.

maple_69

Bench
I wonder if this is how AFL fans responded to Hunt...who is Max Rooke?
I think while a lot of people seem to be getting their knickers in a knot (certainly the AFL see this as a bigger deal than it is), at the heart of it, Hunt is a little bitch and will fit in just fine.
I'd rather my club pick up a no name 19 year old Rockhampton league junior than some wanker superstar AFL show pony.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I'd rather my club pick up a no name 19 year old Rockhampton league junior than some wanker superstar AFL show pony.

exactly

why would they throw money at some nuffy nobody has ever heard of and he's probably never played a game in his life :?

these AFL fans are nutters

be better off throwing money at their best juniors

bulldog

Bench
If one of these AwFuL blokes manages to work his way up through the grades to 1st grade then good on him. I just can't see any RL team stupid enough to "retaliate" by signing an unco and expecting him to play NRL any time soon.

Spaghetti McFly said:
The psyche in Sydney is not so much to think, but to just smash.

Not sure what makes him think this, it's more like ignore when it comes to AwFuL.

Sir Biffo

Bench
Mickey Rooney's best days are behind him so I don't think we'll go chasing him.

He might find a home in the Sunshine Coast Reserve Grade or something running about with Noel Goldthorpe.

I wonder if this is how AFL fans responded to Hunt...who is Max Rooke?
I think while a lot of people seem to be getting their knickers in a knot (certainly the AFL see this as a bigger deal than it is), at the heart of it, Hunt is a little bitch and will fit in just fine.

1rooke.jpg

Give me one good reason you wouldn't want Max Rookes (pictured) to leave The Cats and join your Rugby League team.

maccattack

Juniors
This guy did say he would like to try his hand at league. He was attracted to the toughness of it.

If he did, he might work out he might not. Either way I wouldn't want my club, or any NRL club, to engage him or any other vic rules player, just to get even.

What I want to see is some integrity in the Australian media. A massive TV deal and some strong leadership.

Everything else would follow.

Latest posts