What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL to trial 11-a-side rugby league

supersoniceagle

Juniors
I can't really see it working to be honest. The last thing we need is the game to turn into touch football, but it's worth a trial I guess

Loudstrat

Coach
Radical.

May work best as a vehicle for developing nations. Could be great - free flowing football with more passing, stepping, running.

If coupled with a 5m rule - to prevent it becoming like touch footy, it would be great.

I'm guessing that the new positions would be

1. Fullback - (new name) - Fullback
2. Wing. - (new name) - Wing
3. Centre - (new name) - Threequarter (plays inside the wing, therefore 3/4 of width of field from middle)
4. Centre - (new name) - Threequarter (plays inside the wing, therefore 3/4 of width of field from middle)
5. Wing - (new name) - Wing
6. Half - (new name) - Distributor
7. Prop - (new name) - Mid forward (plays in the middle)
8. Hooker - (new name) - Playmaker
9. Prop - (new name) - Mid forward (plays in the middle)
10. Backrow - Wide forward
11. Backrow - Wide forward

Last edited:

Ryan

Juniors
Horrible idea IMO. Who goes? What positions dissappear?

------------------Fullback--------------------
Winger---------------------------------Winger
-------Half Back---------------Five Eight------
Backrow-----------LOck---------------Backrow
Prop--------------Hooker-----------------Prop

would be my guess. Anyone?

PJ

First Grade
I'd rather that they bought in bonus points for scoring x amount of tries, and more than half of them can't be from a kick.

AS to what would be the missing positions I really don't think it matters that much in the modern game. It is not like the old days where you could tell where a guy played from his body shape, nowadays we have wingers like second rowers, etc..

Loudstrat

Coach
i'd rather they made the ground wider then take players away

Just what we need. A field that needs stadia of it's own, so we can't share with soccer or Union. :roll:

You can pay to have grandstands moved at Parramatta, Lang Park, Robina, Dairy Farmers, SFS etc.

mave

Coach
16 teams lose 2 players each = 32 players all up. Enough for the Central Coast Bears to be readmitted. Too easy.

Copa

Bench
I wish they brought in "Summer 7s" ... it doesn't have to contain nrl players or be based on current teams ... but a summer 7s comp would be great for the off-season.

Special K

Coach
Just what we need. A field that needs stadia of it's own, so we can't share with soccer or Union. :roll:

You can pay to have grandstands moved at Parramatta, Lang Park, Robina, Dairy Farmers, SFS etc.
i said i would rather.

I don't want players being taken away. I'd rather they look at different options to "open up" the game then take players off the field.

I don`t like this at all. Would take all the skill out of the game. Have you guys ever seen rugby Sevens? Absolute crap. Just running, running, running, no thinking required at all. Pathetic game. If they bring this in, then you surely must reduce playing times cos even the fittest players would be spewing their guts after 40 minutes.