What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL to trial 11-a-side rugby league

Loudstrat

Coach
Raiders yet. Titans, Tigers, Dragons, Manly, Parra and Brisbane - yes. Storm - no. Makes Cronulla look like a Kiss concert in comparison.

Tommy, your interchange idea would make the same game - would love to see those days return

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Absolutely terrible idea. I can't even begin to describe the many things I hate about this idea. It wouldn't be league anymore. There are simple things that can be done to fix the game, and some of those things might take time to take effect. This is a desperate quick fix attempt that would destroy the game if it was implemented.

Copa

Bench
Absolutely terrible idea. I can't even begin to describe the many things I hate about this idea. It wouldn't be league anymore. There are simple things that can be done to fix the game, and some of those things might take time to take effect. This is a desperate quick fix attempt that would destroy the game if it was implemented.
how many top level 11-a-side rl games have you seen?

Copa

Bench
What a stupid arguement. I can see the point you're trying to make, it's just too ridiculous for me to bother with.
if you've seen a top level 11_a-side rl match let us know how it was... if you haven't seen one what's wrong with a trial so a real game can be seen before judgements are passed?

ucantseeme

Juniors
I assume Ricky Stuart is pushing this because he feels an 11 man game will lead to more tries, but it will mainly lead to more "soft" tries with players strolling through yawning gaps. You don't see too many soft tries at the moment because the defenses are quite good so teams have to work to score.

The degree of difficulty in scoring the try does not make it any more valuable than 4 points awarded but it does take away from the spectacle if things seem too simple, ie scoring with minimal effort repeatedly.

If you don't believe me just watch a UK Super League game between 2 of the teams outside their top 6, woeful defensive lapses.

1. if the problem is boring football, maybe a trial of the 5 m. rule is also needed

2. or its its to bring fatigue back into games as ryan said today on abc, reduce the interchange to 4 or 6 total.

3. the two players lost will be the wingers i think

peter jackson said the very same thing around 15 years ago.

if warren ryan thinks its a good idea, then i think we should try it.

nobody knows more about RL than the wok

Crippler

Juniors
there was a game this year where it was down to 11 on 11 i believe due to a couple of players being sin binned after a fight?

anyone remember the game, was Dragons i think. Watching that 10 minute period might give an idea of how 11 on 11 might work

*Paul*

Juniors
The percentage play would still be to cart it up and kick. Worth a try though if only to see what happens ( albeit for only one U20s game). Soft tries, as mentioned, would be the real worry - I absolutely hate them.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
This seems to have come out of nowhere and, while I'm not a fan of the idea at least they are still looking at ways to improve the game.

Lego_Man

First Grade
This would lead to even more of a "cookie cutter player" type game. You'd simply have 95% of your players the size and shape of a current NRL centre, with maybe a couple of slightly heavier guys (second row equivalents) as your props.

There's be no room for the big men in the game, as there'd be no way they could keep up.

It'd be boring in a different way - having players strolling through yawning gaps for most of the game and 50-40 scorelines being the norm.

Change the marker rules to discourage excessive dummy half running or change the interchange rules if you want, but 11 a side is ridiculous.

magpie_man

Juniors
I highly doubt this bullsh*t idea will go ahead but if it does then the sport that once was rugby league can go and get stuffed. I'll lose interest because the forward play will disappear and be replaced by a glutiny of giant athletes who cant pass or think but can run and run well.

sounds a lot like the game as it is atm.
if they got rid of 2 players (presumably the lock and 5/8th) they'd have to go back to 5m offsides to coincide with it. personally, i reckon it'd be great.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I have no problems with using the Toyota Cup like this. 11 men is probably not the answer, but without having seen it played like that, who knows? If it looks good in one game, then maybe they can trial it some more in another comp for a full season, to see how the play evolves over the course of a season (players will adapt, and new strategies employed). Better than dismissing the idea out of hand like plenty of you hear are, then turn around and cry that the NRL aren't doing anything.

ali

Bench
If it is combined with a 5m or 7m rule then I'm all for it. I want to see more lateral ball movement, not dummy half running with more space.

Latest posts