What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL to trial 11-a-side rugby league

t-ba

Post Whore
What exactly would a 5m rule do?

It would just let players run less

That's not fun

Yes. Because Dummy half running is just so entertaining.

I think we should implement a policy where fans have to flip flop between teams from season to season.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
i dont see the problem with trialling it.

My personal opinion though is that the 13 a side has been working a treat for 100 years- why change it now (on the back of one 'boring' season). Personally, i think people just love whinging. "2005 was to much like touch footy, 2008 is to slow".

The fact is there have always been sides who grind, and there will always be great attacking sides like canberra, the titans. In the 90's it was the broncos.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Yes. Because Dummy half running is just so entertaining

11 a side wouldn't eliminate dummy half running. If you wanted to do that you'd introduce a touch like rule that if the dummy half is caught with the ball its a turnover.

Dummy half running is a huge part of the game. Part of the arm wrestle. I dont see how its any different from a forward taking a hitup.. its about entertaining as it.

t-ba

Post Whore
11 a side wouldn't eliminate dummy half running. If you wanted to do that you'd introduce a touch like rule that if the dummy half is caught with the ball its a turnover.

Dummy half running is a huge part of the game. Part of the arm wrestle. I dont see how its any different from a forward taking a hitup.. its about entertaining as it.

I want you to actually read what I was saying before making a post.

Crippler

Juniors
well Rugby League since 1908 has been an Evolving game and will continue to evolve.

There have been massive changes to the game to keep it appealing to fans and the "greatest game of all"

- Change from Union rucks/Mauls to a Play the Ball

- Unlimited Tackles to 3 tackles and then 6 tackles a set.

- 3 metres rule to 5 metres and then 10 metres

Perhaps a reduction in playing numbers to 11 a side is the next step????

I am sure it will lead too alot more excitement.

Smaller and elusive players like Bowen, Marshall, Campbell will shine while big boppers will start to struggle.

Anything that stops the game turning into a Big Boys game I will agree with and more emphasis on skill and speed I am all for.

I like the Idea

Eels Dude

Coach
Not a big Stuart fan, but his reasoning makes sense and i'll be interested to see how this game goes.

JoeD

First Grade
I'd prefer other rule changes rather than this one. Whatever they are trying to achieve could be done in other ways

do they want less dummy half runs? change it so the markers can be floating, or allow a 3rd marker. Teams who opted for a 3 marker strategy will leave a gap in the defensive line, it would allow for different styles of defense.

do they want to open up the game? reduce the interchange

do they want to encourage different size players? make the scrum a contest again

lots of things to try before the more radical 11 a side

Noa

First Grade
Thgouh it sounds good in theory I doubt that its viable. What happens if GB and NZ dont like it, dose it become a different game then.

Id be looking more at things like:

- 6 and 8 point try's depending on where there scored from. Maybe make even make all trys worth 6 or 8 but make those scored from high-kicks worth only 4.
- dummy-half runner getting tackled means its makes next one the last, maybe restrict this to own-half where dh running seems to be the most prevalent.

meltiger

First Grade
^ If you are going to make the game faster, then the excuse for maintaining scrums in the game becomes even more prominent.

I think people should give it a try before knocking it. A few trials of 11 a side in the U20's isn't going to hurt anyone.

For me personally, anything that encourages more real RL tries is a great idea - There is nothing worse than watching the kinds of teams who do nothing but work their way into the 20 and bomb, every time they have the ball. Can anyone honestly say they would prefer to see Issy taking Aussie Rules like marks to score rather than the kind of individual brilliance Locky and the Broncos produced in ET on Friday night?

One of the great things about RL is the build up when a try is scored the right way - Through the hands, we need to find a way to bring more of that back rather than kick, catch, place the ball

Whether this idea would solve that issue remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Hanscholo

Bench
I dont see much happening there other than teams compressing more and sliding faster. The problem is the ruck and dominant tackles not how many people there are on the field. I find it haillarious that Anesely and Co would be going about making stupid changes to the game to fix something they caused, but in the same breath cant realise it was them that did it. Fkn fools.

Calixte

First Grade
I dont see much happening there other than teams compressing more and sliding faster. The problem is the ruck and dominant tackles not how many people there are on the field. I find it haillarious that Anesely and Co would be going about making stupid changes to the game to fix something they caused, but in the same breath cant realise it was them that did it. Fkn fools.

Agreed.

Get rid of the wrestle on the ground by making the players get off immediately. If 3 tacklers are getting off, that still gives the defence time to adjust.

We don't need the crap on the ground.

Also, get some coaches who are prepared to let the players chance their arms. Some of them do now. Others clearly don't.

Guess which ones are causing the dramas for Sydney fans?

Noa

First Grade
^

Cant do that though and keep the 10m rule. Just to far back to run, teams would resort to doing dh-run-after-dh -run looking for the offside penalty.

I prefer the wrestle to constant dummy-half running.

forward pass

Coach
Apart from the difference it would make to our game on the field , this could have real benefits for our game - off the field.

Clubs would not need 25 player squads - could reduce that to 20 or 21. That would mean the salary cap pool being spread over a smaller number of players - thus players get paid more and we could keep them in our game.

It would also mean better quality players across the board as clubs would choose only the best of the best - no more players making up the numbers.

Not to mention it would cost less to run our teams (less travel, accom, medical etc) which would result in increased profitability of our clubs.

This could be a very good move - of course dependant on it not screwing up our product too much.

meltiger

First Grade
Agreed.

Get rid of the wrestle on the ground by making the players get off immediately. If 3 tacklers are getting off, that still gives the defence time to adjust.

We don't need the crap on the ground.

Also, get some coaches who are prepared to let the players chance their arms. Some of them do now. Others clearly don't.

Guess which ones are causing the dramas for Sydney fans?

Agree with all of the above. Much simpler solutions too than making such a fundamental change as 11 man teams would.

Is still worth seeing it in operation in a decent standard comp which doesn't impact on the NRL though. As I said earlier, where is the pain in trialing it in TC for a few games?

Great. Rugby League sevens entering the big time :roll:

^ Mate, 11 a side is completely different to 7 a side. Those 4 extra men make for a much wider defensive line. Remember, it's essentially only a man on each side of the field you're losing.

yeah there might be other rule changes than going to 11.

the interchange is certainly one area that i think needs to come down by half.

and the 10 m. need to be shrunk.

the first change would bring in fatigue into the game and allow talented creative players room to run around a bit.

a shorter distance between teams will discourage dummy half runs.

it doesnt have to be a massive change just refs making teams stand closer

Noa

First Grade
^

And that might be the most simplest and best change of all. Reduce the interchange by 2 more and cut down on stoppages.