What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL turn to Eddie's magpies for advice

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Collingwood Storm said:
whats wrong with the NRL looking to the biggest sporting club in Australia for advice on how to help it grow?

the NRL would be derelect in the duties if they didn't get ideas from the most successful structures

Its a pretty easy job being marketing manager for "the biggest sporting club in Australia"

if the players took a crap, they'd sell more poo than Tom and Kate

Collingwood's following is something like 30% of the AFL fans in Melboure (I've heard it was a high as 40%), in any case, it seems every second person you speak to is a Pies fan.

Personally, I dont think it is such a great achievement, imo.

meltiger

First Grade
Kurt Angle said:
I suspect your playing devils advocate via sarcasm here.

FFS. Why even bother arguing with blinkered idiocy. Yes I support Aussie Rules, no that doesn't mean I don't support RL. Just because you are stupid enough to blind yourself to the positives about other codes doesn't mean everyone has to have the same, stupid, self defeating attitude.

I have maintained my membership at Balmain, both Football Club and Leagues Club for years now even though I live in Melbourne - Only last night I was whinging to my GF that I couldn't use any of the discounts in the birthday card Balmain sent me because they all expire the day before the GF... I attend almost every Storm game and I have spent a f**kload more on NRL merchandise this season than Richmond merchandise (Around a grand, not a bad outlay for someone who you and your other blinkered paranoid f**kwitted anal buddies believe doesn't support the game)

& for the record dickhead, the comment was genuine.

meltiger

First Grade
Twizzle said:
Collingwood's following is something like 30% of the AFL fans in Melboure (I've heard it was a high as 40%), in any case, it seems every second person you speak to is a Pies fan.

Absoloute crap. It is not even remotely close to being that high.

meltiger said:
FFS. Why even bother arguing with blinkered idiocy. Yes I support Aussie Rules, no that doesn't mean I don't support RL. Just because you are stupid enough to blind yourself to the positives about other codes doesn't mean everyone has to have the same, stupid, self defeating attitude.

I have maintained my membership at Balmain, both Football Club and Leagues Club for years now even though I live in Melbourne - Only last night I was whinging to my GF that I couldn't use any of the discounts in the birthday card Balmain sent me because they all expire the day before the GF... I attend almost every Storm game and I have spent a f**kload more on NRL merchandise this season than Richmond merchandise (Around a grand, not a bad outlay for someone who you and your other blinkered paranoid f**kwitted anal buddies believe doesn't support the game)

What a load of hot c**k....

You have a girlfriend?

Ice777

Bench
Twizzle said:
Its a pretty easy job being marketing manager for "the biggest sporting club in Australia"

if the players took a crap, they'd sell more poo than Tom and Kate

Personally, I dont think it is such a great achievement, imo.

I'm a Pies fan myself and while they do get the biggest crowds in the AFL and are more than likely the most supported club (and hated as well) to suggest they have a 30-40% share of support down here out of 10 Melbourne clubs including Geelong is just stupid. Even more so considering some of those other clubs are Essendon, Carlton, Richmond and Melbourne to an extent. While the first 3 teams mentioned never had the best year on the ground, the supporter base for each team is pretty large.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
meltiger said:
FFS. Why even bother arguing with blinkered idiocy.

How Have I entered into anything on the forum that is blinkered idiocy ?

Your comment was "everyone knows that the NRL is the biggest and best sport in the country".

For someone who is viewed as an AFL fan first and foremost, I wouldn't think that concession would come from you... and I certainly would expect it from over 9 million Australians in Vic, WA and SA.

It's a very logical conclusion, and the rest of my post was something full of praise for the way AFK runs its business.

Yes I support Aussie Rules, no that doesn't mean I don't support RL. Just because you are stupid enough to blind yourself to the positives about other codes doesn't mean everyone has to have the same, stupid, self defeating attitude.

When I say "Yes, it's a good idea that NRL teams run many of their business processes the same way AFL does... I'm blind to the way competitors run.

Nothing escpaes your sparky.

And who are my "blinkered paranoid f**kwitted anal buddies" ?

Good to see you have a genuine opinion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The WC Eagles were the most profitable Australian club last year. Maybe they should be talking to them as well!

Schillaci

Juniors
Footballer suggested this back in January. The only person to reply was meltiger.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=129715&highlight=membership

As somewhat of an outsider I've noticed that when the word 'membership' is used in Rugby League circles it can mean a number of things i.e. Leagues club membership, club membership etc In all other sports I've been involved with the term 'membership' just soley meant season ticket holders and all markerting and promotional engery was put into promoting that. A majority of the crowds at Rugby Leagues im certain would be walk up patrons.

What Im getting at is wouldn't it be in the interest of each Club to put more empathsis on season ticket holders rather than Leagues Club members etc If I paid for a season ticket at the start of the season I'd be more inclined to goto games rain, hail or shine.

From what I've seen there is just as much if not more promotion for Leagues Club membership rather than season passes. League Club memberships are cheap and wouldn't rasie that much revenue for the club and the Leages club may only donate a small percentage of this to the actual team.

Wouldn't it be better to encourage season ticket membership, get people through the gates. This will also increase the revenue from merchandise and food sales at the game etc.

This may be of particular interest in the future when Im sure, it's only a matter of time that the goverment will crack down on the use of pokies. Thats if they havent already.

AFL Members 2005
Adelaide 43,256
West Coast 42,406
Collingwood 38,612
Pt.Adelaide 36,834
Fremantle 34,178
Carlton 33,534
Essendon 32,734
St.Kilda 32,043
Geelong 30,821
Hawthorn 29,261
Brisbane 28,913
Richmond 28,029
Sydney 24,955
Melbourne 24,805
Kangaroos 24,154
West. Bulldogs 21,924

Another example of why I am the most valuable poster on LU.

t-ba

Post Whore
Perth Red said:
The WC Eagles were the most profitable Australian club last year. Maybe they should be talking to them as well!

I don't see the value of 'put team into market of nearly 2 million with no competition' to clubs in Sydney tbh. Maybe the Broncos could do it, but they've done a solid job of alienating alot of Brisbane's RL's hardcore supporter base, what with the death of three traditional BRL clubs capable of being partially attributable to them (The moral of the story: DO NOT become a Broncos feeder club!) and that whole superleague deal...

...But it's something that needs to pushed. Manly's Membership drive consists of a booth tucked away under the Southern Stand FFS! P*ss poor.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Hi Red I think something that also helps AFL in Perth is the fact that they also have a lot of Govt backing Footy commision ownership ect,they are if you draw a long bow AFL is semi Govt supported look at Fong and his two hats(sorry to those out side Perth).
Plus the saturation coverage given to AFL by Radio, TV and papers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not disagreeing but it took the Dockers until last year to break even so the Eagles must be doing something right even in an AFL supportive Govt state.

No competition? No just the Dockers who draw 40,000 a game, Force who draw 30,000, Glory who pull 10-15,000, Basketball and Netball pro teams. For a city with a third the population size you could argue that is more competition than the NRL teams have in Sydney!

JW

Coach
music_2000 said:
hey look mate I'm real sorry for saying that NRL will always be running second fiddle to the AFL. It's just that I'm a multi code supporter caught up in a world where everyone seems to worship only one code and where multi code supporters risk being burned on a stake for even the slightest utterance of anything related to a rival code.

Are you really that geniused?

You think we haven't seen many, many morons like you here before?

By the way, another gem on BigFooty. Apart from the extinction part, I particularly loved the bit in bold, lol.

music_2000 said:
again on the subject of NRL I have tried to preach the threat of AFL to many a league fan and tell them the truth which we all know is that NRL needs to expand or risk extinction.

NRL fans really don't realise the threat of AFL. also most NRL fans are arrogant. at least many AFL fans know the rules of rugby league whereas some NRL fans have no clue about whats going on in an AFL match.

Latest posts