What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL two conferences

yakstorm

First Grade
To say there are no benefits to the proposed Conference system wouldn't be fair.

Firstly, from a crowd and TV perspective, this conference structure definitely helps deliver more 'big' games than the current draw, especially as the likes of the Warriors and Storm are more popular in South East Queensland than pretty much ever Sydney club except the Dragons.

Secondly, it does arguably create more opportunities to try and create more 'event' games, as there is an opportunity to have Conference Finals, etc, plus under the guise of 'Conferences' you could arguably have more teams in the Finals (Two top 5s anyone?)

Thirdly, it does provide a better platform for expansion, as additional expansion clubs can be added, whilst the 'Sydney' conference grows to include Canberra & Newcastle.

Is it fair way of running the competition? Not really, but as others have pointed out, the current draw is far from fair. At least in Conferences, everyone in that Conference plays the same opponents an equal number of times, with the biggest disadvantage being whether they draw the inter-conference teams at home or away.

Does it eliminate some of the traditional GF match ups? It might, although again it depends on how the Finals are run, they may decide to cross-conferences from the get go.

What about different playing standards in the conferences? It will happen at times, but at the same time, if you're a good player currently playing for team 6 in the 'stronger' conference and have an opportunity to go to team '2' in the 'weaker', you're likely to do it, as you are more likely to play Finals Football. These 'opportunities' are likely to help even up the talent pools over time.

Personally, I'd rather an 18 team competition where everyone plays everyone once before the Finals, but IMO Conferences isn't the worst idea.

_Johnsy

Referee
Initially it’s a pass from me, but I’d be interested to see the finer details in how they’d structure the finals. That is the key IMO, as you want the 2 best teams in the GF. Although that premise in itself is flawed, you don’t often get teams 1 & 2 playing in the GF under the current system.

Saxon

Bench
Tell me has it disadvantaged The Melbourne Storm playing the Grand Finalin Sydney?
Just think how good we would have been if we could play it in Melbourne? :eek:

Seriously though, absolutely it's a disadvantage for non Sydney teams. Flights, unfamiliar training facilities, living in hotels etc. Unlike local teams where you get to go home at night, you don't get a moment out of the week to just relax.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
Imagine based on this they create a draft. Rookies in the Sydney basin are in the Sydney draft and those outside are in the regional draft and in the last round of the draft they switch. That would tear apart Panthers and Roosters recruitment and development strategies....

BunniesMan

Immortal
A conference system would be a logical and rational thing to do so. So I suspect whingers will kill it like most good ideas in the NRL.

It would work to sort a home and away season and maximise the benefit we get out of rivalries.

But I don't like the finals part. We should not have separate finals brackets and forever lose the possibility of a grand final with rivals.

Bottom line: Play in conferences for the regular season, but the top 8 overall teams should go through with the existing finals system that works well.

_Johnsy

Referee
I don't like it, it punishes and limits fans. It's not a utopian league where everyone in Brisbane goes for the Broncos and everyone in Parramatta is an Eels fan.
I understand your point, however it would give me an excuse to get to down to Sydney for 3 or so games per season from the GC.

Last Week

Bench
Initially it’s a pass from me, but I’d be interested to see the finer details in how they’d structure the finals. That is the key IMO, as you want the 2 best teams in the GF. Although that premise in itself is flawed, you don’t often get teams 1 & 2 playing in the GF under the current system.

And teams that finish 1 and 2 aren't necessarily the best two teams in the comp given the uneven draw and Origin period.

Pippen94

First Grade

Best two teams don't even make gf in current system. Sydney Championship game potentially as big as gf itself

Pippen94

First Grade
Conferences guarantee Sydney team in final along with club from another city like Brisbane or Melbourne potentially maximizing audience.
Stops Canberra vs gold coast fizzer

myrrh ken

First Grade
The winner of the "Grand Final" is announced as champion, and gets 15 consecutive weeks on the Friday night slot on Channel 9 the following year.

Thoughts?

And miss out watching the weekly installment of the Broncos winning the spoon live and free. No thanks

Perth Red

Post Whore
The more I hear about this "leak" the more I am convinced its a sweetener that will never happen and is designed to get Sydney clubs to back expansion of a Brisbane2 club.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
what do you think?

I think Australia cannot support 2 tiers, the quality of League would suffer. Our population is not big enough.

Perhaps if AFL was never invented and we were a Ruby League only nation it may work but right now I cant see it being sustainable