What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog Power

Juniors
I cant beleive anyone is bothering arguing with this guy

he thinks he is smart but its obvious he is dead set moron... simply the fact that he continues to profess that nfl players are fitter then nrl... he has a bazooka aimed at his foot

what a dead set thick as a brick- dopey as all f**k -fool ozborg66 is

I was thinking of generating some argument but theres no point... he is like a polynesian warrior and rugbynotsoccer homosexual love child

Mr Saab

Referee
why was this thread created???????????
all it will do is create stupid debate from people that have N F I.
why even compare the 2 sports? they are totally different.
Its like comparing basketball and netball.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Y2Eel said:
You cannot compare 18 year olds playing league here to 18 yo playing NFL over in the US... Over in the US an 18 year old has to prove themselves in college starting from freshmen to sofmore..... then you have to be drafted into a team after college which could be at the age of 20-21 so there's 3 years already....

But here after you finish school at 17-18 your signed to a NRL team giving you maybe 2 years to get into first grade but if your good enough at 18 your good enough to play....

That's my point exactly. The concept of letting 18 year old kids play in the NFL is a very foreign one. 18 may be good enough to play in the NRL, but it's a physical impossibility for an 18 year old to be considered in the NFL - They have a hard enough time trying to make it in college at those young ages, let alone the NFL.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Bomber said:
This debate about how far participants in each sport has lead me to do a bit of research. You can draw your own conclusions.

Apologies for not merely providing links, but I would prefer that the stats are posted in this thread and not conviently ignored.

I've taken statistics from Friday night's game between the Tigers and Sharks, and from this year's Super Bowl between New England and Philadelphia.

With forty seconds between each play, six touchdowns (a lengthy break), a field goal (ditto) as well as a welter of time-outs, two breaks at 1/4 and 3/4 time and a huge break at halftime, the Total Number of Stoppages amounts to 145.

When it comes to these sort of stats, we're getting into the apples and oranges. Real estate in American football is much harder to come by as every player is involved on every play, with every play starting off with a scrum - cept for kickoffs. And blocking is a main part of the game where this is not the case in rugby. Where more energy is expended by running in league, more energy is expended by either one-on-one contact or specifially gaurding a certain area on every play.

Now, this is where the comparison gets tricky, because unlike in league, NFL players only play on one side of the ball, offense or defense.

Very true, as I've stated that pro players used to play both sides of the ball. This is not the case now days as the injury rate would be MUCH higher than what it already is.

At risk of tempting fate, I'll assume that a player played both ways. Otherwise, a comparison is futile.

I do remember someone saying that a lot of running in NFL actually happens between plays i.e. players running into position and getting ready for the next play. I'm not going to factor that in, simply because if I do this for the NFL then I should be able to add 50m for every time a rugby league player runs back to halfway after a try has been scored (further if you're on the team that actually scored).

So, the end point, in this very unscientific debate?

Good night

The rugby player and American football player are basically doing the same thing between plays; getting ready/positioned for the next play. In rugby, this is where most of the players are pacing themselves during normal play of the ball, as most players are not involved on the play of the ball/tackle.

NPK

Bench
Charlie Saab said:
why was this thread created???????????
all it will do is create stupid debate from people that have N F I.
why even compare the 2 sports? they are totally different.
Its like comparing basketball and netball.

haha I have a theory that you could get a bunch of professional male basketballers together, give them a week to learn how to play netball, and they would beat any professional netball team in the world.

ozhawk66

Juniors
strewth_mate said:
There really is no comparison except to win some pride, which is really a childish debate. The games are obviously very different, and there is no legitimate argue that either NFL or NRL players are 'weaker' than their respective counterparts.
You don't question an accountant's ability to do his job. You don't question a plumber's ability to do his job. But you certainly can't compare them both by picking on the similarities between the jobs and arguing 'who is better' at them. Same as comparing typical gender 'roles'. It's stupid.

Does anyone agree with me, even slightly, or am I wasting my time too? As I said it's really a childish 'macho' debate in which there is nothing to prove but to assert your own dominance for the sake of pride. It's only a game.

I do try and keep the comparisons to comparable aspects of the two sports and or the comparable positions/athletes.

I've never questioned the toughness of NRL players, but have pointed out the differences in level in play and what is required to excel in each sport.

Mr Saab

Referee
NPK said:
haha I have a theory that you could get a bunch of professional male basketballers together, give them a week to learn how to play netball, and they would beat any professional netball team in the world.

i follow the NFL and the NRL very closely, but i would not compare the 2 sports. When i watch league i dont think "webcke would be crap at NFL" or "darren lockyer is much better than Tom Brady".

People who compare the 2 sports are crazy.
The people who play the sports are fit for THEIR sport....its that simple!

ozhawk66

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Spot on Dread.

I like NFL but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that their players wouldn't be able to handle NRL and vice versa, for different reason.

Still, pissing contests are fun....

There are a slew of 220-250 lb RB's and LB's trying to make it in the NFL each year who would almost revolutionize rugby/league, just by the fact that at this size, and with their talent, they still would be amongst the fastest players on the NRL playing field.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Like I said, why don't you do a comparison of current NFL body weights to pre-padding NFL body weights.

The player size and the size and bulk of the padding have moved upwards together. The players get bigger, more padding is needed. If they played without padding players weights would reduce dramatically otherwise players would die.

That's the reason the NFL has 300+ pound players in it. Lose the padding, lose the 300 pounders...

Good grief. The equipment/padding has actually become lighter over the years while players have become, bigger, faster and stronger. Players need to have this sort of size to absorb the punishment at the speed the game is played at.

Get what?

That in a country of 200 million people there are people who can run the 100 in even time?

What a stretch.........

Jesus you're dumb.

Don't be stupid in front of others. You can't compare the faster times of NRL players to those in the NFL for a reason: THEY AREN'T AS FAST!

And please, would you like me to help you work out how to use this forum correctly?

Try playing Superior with someone else.

Danish

Referee
You want a complete answer as to which sport it tougher/harder/better?

Sit an aussie in front of a tv and show him the superbowl. He'll laugh at their 40kg of "padding" (fibreglass and carbon fibre are NOT padding), then laugh even harder when a 200kg man puts on a so-called big hit on a 120kg quarterback while he isnt looking, and doesnt even force the ball loose.

Then sit an american down at an NRL game, and watch him cringe at every big hit, talk to his mates about how crazy these guys are, and generally sit there in awe as to how these guys can possibly do this.

(thats not an exaggeration. At the Roosters Knights game there were a bunch of yanks from a backpackers lodge sitting in front of us. It was priceless to hear them gasp with every tackle).

How the f**k did such a thread ever get created???

The "athletes" of the NFL.......... Yeh, 300 pound centres are great athletes. Taking a 1 min break for every 10 seconds of play. What stamina.

I'm sorry but there can be absolutely no argument about these 2 sports. One is a game played by men. The other, a business run by corporations where they take 5 hours to play 60mins of football, with breaks every 5 mins so the home viewers can watch their ads without missing a bit of alleged action.

Joe Montana, Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Jerry Rice. All greats of the NFL. All of them could only do one thing. Pass, Run, Tackle, Catch.

Chris walker, Justin Hodges, Shannon Hegarty. All laughing stocks of the NRL. All of them can only do one thing. Run, run, and run.

Brad Fittler, Wally Lewis, Andrew Johns. All greats of the NRL. All could/can pass, run AND tackle.Throw in the ability to kick the ball as far as the so-called NFL pros and you get the idea. As for catching, well that really isnt even considered a skill in our sport.

League > NFL

Bomber

Bench
Ozhawk66,

In future, why not post your musings on NFL in the NFL forum here? There are many posters who enjoy NFL (myself included, believe it or not) and would be more than happy to discuss the sport there with you.

Posting in the NRL forum is just inviting trouble

Cheers
Bomber

ozhawk66

Juniors
joshreading said:
I was in the US for the Superbowl this year and the poll on one of the TV stations (NBS I think) was - Are you watching the Superbowl for the game or the commercials? Don't you find that even the possibility is funny.

I watched the game as I have a couple times and the athletes themselves are good (although most would never handle the stamina fitness of League due to training - although with training that could be changed) - the game however aside from one or two minor sparks is useless compared to RL.

The fact that the San Diego Chargers thought that RL was a game for madmen - says alot.

The Stuper Bowl gets the sort of ratings they do because it has turned into an American holiday - which means a lot of the audience doesn't watch regular season games, but they will watch the commercials. LOL

ozhawk66

Juniors
Bulldog Power said:
I cant beleive anyone is bothering arguing with this guy

he thinks he is smart but its obvious he is dead set moron... simply the fact that he continues to profess that nfl players are fitter then nrl... he has a bazooka aimed at his foot

what a dead set thick as a brick- dopey as all f**k -fool ozborg66 is

I was thinking of generating some argument but theres no point... he is like a polynesian warrior and rugbynotsoccer homosexual love child

Nice.

And I never claimed NFL athletes were fitter than NRL players. It's just that short-sighted people like you think running somehow equates to more expelled energy than one-on-one, physical contact that is American football.

Danish

Referee
ozhawk66 said:
Nice.

And I never claimed NFL athletes were fitter than NRL players. It's just that short-sighted people like you think running somehow equates to more expelled energy than one-on-one, physical contact that is American football.

Is there some reason that you need to type in bold, as though it makes what your saying any less bullsh*t marketing dribble about the NFL??

I think you have our sport confused with Yawnion if you think there is no one on one physical contact in our game.

What physical contact are you talking about in the NFL? Fat bastards mashing into each other from 1m apart? Running backs high tailing it into touch when a couple of defenders are running at them? Or is it that weak as piss "i'm going to line up this guy cause he's not looking at me" bullsh*t you see put on QBs and receivers?

ozhawk66

Juniors
Danish said:
You want a complete answer as to which sport it tougher/harder/better?

Sit an aussie in front of a tv and show him the superbowl. He'll laugh at their 40kg of "padding" (fibreglass and carbon fibre are NOT padding), then laugh even harder when a 200kg man puts on a so-called big hit on a 120kg quarterback while he isnt looking, and doesnt even force the ball loose.

Then sit an american down at an NRL game, and watch him cringe at every big hit, talk to his mates about how crazy these guys are, and generally sit there in awe as to how these guys can possibly do this.

(thats not an exaggeration. At the Roosters Knights game there were a bunch of yanks from a backpackers lodge sitting in front of us. It was priceless to hear them gasp with every tackle).

How the f**k did such a thread ever get created???

The "athletes" of the NFL.......... Yeh, 300 pound centres are great athletes. Taking a 1 min break for every 10 seconds of play. What stamina.

I'm sorry but there can be absolutely no argument about these 2 sports. One is a game played by men. The other, a business run by corporations where they take 5 hours to play 60mins of football, with breaks every 5 mins so the home viewers can watch their ads without missing a bit of alleged action.

Joe Montana, Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas, Jerry Rice. All greats of the NFL. All of them could only do one thing. Pass, Run, Tackle, Catch.

Chris walker, Justin Hodges, Shannon Hegarty. All laughing stocks of the NRL. All of them can only do one thing. Run, run, and run.

Brad Fittler, Wally Lewis, Andrew Johns. All greats of the NRL. All could/can pass, run AND tackle.Throw in the ability to kick the ball as far as the so-called NFL pros and you get the idea. As for catching, well that really isnt even considered a skill in our sport.

League > NFL

Lot of ignorance here that one can only help himself with.

The sort of hitting in the NRL is nothing to what were used to in American football. And the rate of catastrophic types of injuries and second impact concussion syndrome bears this out.

Bigger, faster, stronger men have that effect on human bodies. It's one of the main reasons why 18 year old kids aren't allowed to play in the NFL - they are kids, not men.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Bomber said:
Ozhawk66,

In future, why not post your musings on NFL in the NFL forum here? There are many posters who enjoy NFL (myself included, believe it or not) and would be more than happy to discuss the sport there with you.

Posting in the NRL forum is just inviting trouble

Cheers
Bomber

I'll check it out, but it's hard to debate this topic amongst American football fans only.

ozjet1

there is no rugby league equivalent to a lineman (particularly on offence) on the gridiron. these guys are huge and generally in excess of 275lbs (125kgs).

people on this board need to understand that athletes train to meet the demands of their sport. the footy codes played in oz are very much endurance-based so aerobic capacity is extremely important. an aerobic base is required in american football but, it is not as important as speed. speed is the primary physical attribute which will determine whether a competitor can handle the NFL (yes, even lineman require this attribute).

on average, a play will last for less than 10 secs on the gridiron. obviously, training requirements will be directed to address this. speed, strength and power are the major areas of focus and so it is reasonable to conclude that elite american footballers will exhibit a greater quality of these attributes than elite rugby league footballers. rugby league players do require great levels of speed, strength and power but, the obvious greater aerobic demands of league will impact on this development in comparison to american footballers.

i believe an great athlete is just that. the only reason an NRL player will struggle in the NFL and vice versa is primarily due to the difficulties of adjusting to techniques, positioning etc relevant to the other sport and not to any fitness requirements imposed on the competitor.

we would all agree that an AFL athlete would struggle in the NRL and vice versa purely due to the different skills required in each sport but, does this lessen their athletic ability?

for the record, i grew up watching rugby league & the Jets at Henson Park and still walk down from Stanmore to watch a home game, but i also enjoy the sheer speed and power exhibited by NFL footballers on the tele and try to replicate this myself during Sep-Dec in the NSWGFL season. I'm in the gym doing low-rep squats, deadlift, power cleans and bench presses and at the park doing sprints (repititive over 10 - 100m) to improve speed, special endurance work (repetitive over 100m - 400m) to improve anaerobic endurance, and agility exercises required for my position as a safety. this program can be used successfully to prepare for A grade rugby league competition with the reduction in the amount of sprints and the addition of a little more high-intensity continuous work.

Status
Not open for further replies.