What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL vs NFL debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Danish said:
Is there some reason that you need to type in bold, as though it makes what your saying any less bullsh*t marketing dribble about the NFL??

I think you have our sport confused with Yawnion if you think there is no one on one physical contact in our game.

What physical contact are you talking about in the NFL? Fat bastards mashing into each other from 1m apart? Running backs high tailing it into touch when a couple of defenders are running at them? Or is it that weak as piss "i'm going to line up this guy cause he's not looking at me" bullsh*t you see put on QBs and receivers?

Typing in bold to make it easier for those to see the differences in what I'm respong, too. I never said there wan't any one-on-one contact in league, just not on the level in every play in American football.

JK

I am concerned about the life expectancy of linebackers and some others in the NFL. These guys carry the weight of a fridge around their guts and drop deal in late 30's. It is sick and the NFL should address this.

Danish

Referee
The injuries incurred in the NFL is more to do with their lack of fitness than the heavy hitting involved.

Besides that, you load me up to the eyeballs with helmets, shoulder "pads", chest pad, kidney belt, thigh pads, shin guards etc, and i could run headlong into a wall and not worry too much bout any sort of injury (i've done it before in full gridion get up. Its actually quite fun). Unfortunately these guys still find a way to get hurt, mainly through dirty (re: pansy) tactics that are frowned upon in real sport.

ozhawk66

Juniors
JK said:
I am concerned about the life expectancy of linebackers and some others in the NFL. These guys carry the weight of a fridge around their guts and drop deal in late 30's. It is sick and the NFL should address this.

Don't know where your getting this info from as life expectancy among NFL players is higher than the general population.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Danish said:
The injuries incurred in the NFL is more to do with their lack of fitness than the heavy hitting involved.

No, it does not. The fitness level of those who do make it in the NFL is amazing.

Put it this way, there is WAYYYY to much pressure and money involved for the coaches in NOT having those players in the best possible shape, or else.

ozjet1

Danish said:

i think the fitness debate is a little tired mate. go to a track and do these for me at around 80-90% effort:

Run 100m rest (walk) 30 sec
Run 200m rest (walk) 40 sec
Run 300m rest (walk) 60 sec
Run 400m rest (walk) 90 sec
Run 100m
Rest (walk) for 8 min
Repeat

do you enjoy the pain of lactid acid build-up? your legs will be screaming within the 1st set, and there's another to complete. 90-sec might seem like a long rest but not after you've sprinted the lap of a track.

this is what american footballers need to train for and the same would be required in the rugby league off-season too.

ozhawk66

Juniors
ozjet1 said:
i think the fitness debate is a little tired mate. go to a track and do these for me at around 80-90% effort:

Run 100m
Rest (walk) for 8 min
Repeat

do you enjoy the pain of lactid acid build-up? your legs will be screaming within the 1st set, and there's another to complete. 90-sec might seem like a long rest but not after you've sprinted the lap of a track.

this is what american footballers need to train for and the same would be required in the rugby league off-season too.

Heck, getting in shape for the NFL combine and pre-seasons is big biz and a science now days....

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm
Myth #7: It’s important to build an aerobic base of conditioning before getting into more intense anaerobic work.

There's no physiological basis for this statement. Having an aerobic base doesn’t help you perform or recover from anaerobic work. Think about this, do you think a marathon runner would be able to withstand the demands of an intense football game? On the other hand, do you think that one of the NFL’s superstars would be able to complete a marathon?

Of course not! This is because the physiological demands of both sports have about as much in common as Howard Stern and Kathie Lee Gifford. Yet athletes who participate in anaerobic sports still tend to associate getting in shape with long, slow, distance training. Nothing can be further from the truth.
"...movement skills (power skipping, side shuffling, backpedaling, etc.) and mobility drills, is far superior to linear, slow, long-distance running.

By performing exercises that challenge an athlete’s relative strength, balance and coordination in a continuous fashion, we’re able to improve their endurance without the loss in muscle mass, strength and speed that’s associated with the slow distance method.

home link:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/

taxidriver

Coach
From the official NFL site

The NFL has had random testing for steroids for the past 15 years; first-time offenders are suspended for at least four games. A total of 44 players have been suspended during that period for using the performance-enhancing substances.

The NFL has proposed toughening its testing standards to conform with a change in standards by the International Olympic Committee and World Anti-Doping Agency. A change would have to be approved by the NFL Players Association, whose executive director, Gene Upshaw, is a former offensive lineman who has been outspoken about the use of the substances in the sport.

4 game ban for taking 'roids ??? that's taking a slap on the wrist to new levels of ineffectiveness

taxidriver

Coach
it gets better and better

WASHINGTON (April 27, 2005) -- A law establishing uniform drug-testing rules for major U.S. sports would be a mistake, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue told Congress, while defending his league's steroid policy under questioning from lawmakers who were far less adversarial than during last month's baseball hearing.

"We don't feel that there is rampant cheating in our sport," Tagliabue told the House Government Reform Committee.

Members of the panel asked whether the size of today's NFL players is evidence of steroid use, they criticized football's penalties as too lenient, and asked whether amphetamines should be banned and when growth hormone will be tested for.

"How is the average American supposed to look at the size, strength and speed of today's NFL linebackers and not conclude that they might be taking performance-enhancing drugs?" asked chairman Tom Davis, R-Va.

Tagliabue countered: "We're certainly not going to jump to the conclusion that because we have larger athletes today there is increased steroid use in the National Football League. I think it's nonsense."

NFL keeping steroid producers in business

Danish

Referee
Done it mate. done that sort of sh*t plenty. Used to do regular training sessions with a personal trainer tothe brumbies and he put me through my paces every week, running me till i was sick. The lactic acid build up doesnt phase me, well it would more now since i've stopped playing sport in recent years.

I think you are taking my injury due to unfitness argument qutie the wrong way.

NFL players are trained to do only one job their entire career. Thats all the do, and all they will ever do. So they train very hard to be good at only that particular thing. Because of the cut throat business world that the NFL is, they will focus 100% solely on that training. So while they build up in certain areas (muscle, size, strength), they put massive pressure on the knees and joints. So basically for all the strength they create they start creating other weaknesses. And its there that they get injured. Not because of some astronomical contact that they are supposedly involved in.

ozhawk66

Juniors
taxidriver said:
From the official NFL site

The NFL has had random testing for steroids for the past 15 years; first-time offenders are suspended for at least four games. A total of 44 players have been suspended during that period for using the performance-enhancing substances.

The NFL has proposed toughening its testing standards to conform with a change in standards by the International Olympic Committee and World Anti-Doping Agency. A change would have to be approved by the NFL Players Association, whose executive director, Gene Upshaw, is a former offensive lineman who has been outspoken about the use of the substances in the sport.

4 game ban for taking 'roids ??? that's taking a slap on the wrist to new levels of ineffectiveness

Ineffectiveness? Thats 44 positives out of about 23,000+ players over that 15 years? And that's a safe estimate.

Besides, test positive more than once and your messing with your career. A guy from my team just got banned for a 3rd positive (pot) for a full year, although it should be more. He's screwed himself big time.

NPK

Bench
ozjet1 said:

Run 100m
Rest (walk) for 8 min
Repeat

Ok..here's the thing. Every NRL player would have to do those drills, including the forwards. But I doubt the fat NFL 120+ kg guys would have to do that.

Forget about the wide receivers etc for a moment...it's clear that NRL big guys (forwards) are fitter than the NFL big guys.

ozhawk66

Juniors
Danish said:
Done it mate. done that sort of sh*t plenty. Used to do regular training sessions with a personal trainer tothe brumbies and he put me through my paces every week, running me till i was sick. The lactic acid build up doesnt phase me, well it would more now since i've stopped playing sport in recent years.

I think you are taking my injury due to unfitness argument qutie the wrong way.

NFL players are trained to do only one job their entire career. Thats all the do, and all they will ever do. So they train very hard to be good at only that particular thing. Because of the cut throat business world that the NFL is, they will focus 100% solely on that training. So while they build up in certain areas (muscle, size, strength), they put massive pressure on the knees and joints. So basically for all the strength they create they start creating other weaknesses. And its there that they get injured. Not because of some astronomical contact that they are supposedly involved in.

Your misguided in thinking that's all they do or train to do. Players are required to know and constantly practice multiple techniques at multiple positions over their playing careers.

And yes, the game is that physically demanding and it's one of the main reasons for the average NFL career lasting 3 years, depending on the position. American football is a hurting game and he who brings the heaviest hurt, wins.

And your build up in certain areas comment is off the mark, as shown by the link I gave in their conditioning programs.

ozhawk66

Juniors
NPK said:
Ok..here's the thing. Every NRL player would have to do those drills, including the forwards. But I doubt the fat NFL 120+ kg guys would have to do that.

Forget about the wide receivers etc for a moment...it's clear that NRL big guys (forwards) are fitter than the NFL big guys.

No, they are not fitter as forwards are not required to bear the constant one-on-one, were and tear of American football.

ozhawk66

Juniors
NPK said:

Besides, an 18/19 year old body is not as physically mature as a young man in his early 20's, especially those in higher training than from the general population.

NPK

Bench
haha next you'll be telling us baseball players are more skilful and fit than cricketers :lol:

taxidriver

Coach
refusing to acknowledge rampant steroid abuse, 4 game bans as a deterant and refusing blanket testing.

what's your spin on that ?

ozhawk66

Juniors
NPK said:
haha next you'll be telling us baseball players are more skilful and fit than cricketers :lol:

It's a lot harder to hit a baseball than a cricket ball, that's for sure.

ozhawk66

Juniors
taxidriver said:
refusing to acknowledge rampant steroid abuse, 4 game bans as a deterant and refusing blanket testing.

what's your spin on that ?

I'm not refusing to acknowledge anything. The truth lies in education and the truth is that many players are scared to death of using roids, for one reason or another. Roids, along with any other positive test, and your history when testing positive a 3rd time. The deterrence lies in the fact one can lose his career over it and it's not worth it. And yet they are going to increase the testing.

Can the same be said about NRL testing policies? I bet it's a safe bet that they weren't testing as far back as 15 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts