What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's growth mindset points to 18th team. And it ain't Perth.

Wb1234

Referee
You hit the nail on the head there - The "let's plunder the junior talent" and "let's use NZ 2 to help fill that pesky early Friday timeslot" are the drivers for NZ 2 to get that 18th spot - and the fact that there are bigger markets sitting around untapped (Perth, Adelaide) doesn't matter in that reckoning.. even though Perth is ramping up it's local league scene year-by-year, and is producing home-grown talent.
You forgot to mention the extra 20 million pa the nrl will get from sky nz on top of Australian broadcasters paying for the 9th game

no Australian broadcaster will be paying extra for a Perth or Adelaide nrl team

its pretty smart the nrl is getting sky to pay for the cost of the new team then they can profit from the 9th game via Australian tv and share those spoils with all clubs

Perth Red

Post Whore
You forgot to mention the extra 20 million pa the nrl will get from sky nz on top of Australian broadcasters paying for the 9th game

no Australian broadcaster will be paying extra for a Perth or Adelaide nrl team

its pretty smart the nrl is getting sky to pay for the cost of the new team then they can profit from the 9th via Australian tv and share those spoils with all clubs
What makes you think they’ll pay an extra $20mill (a 65% increase on the recent increase amount). Given this increase was solely due to competitive tension from a streaming service do you really believe they are going to up their payment massively again?

how much did Australian tv pay for a new brisbane club? i’ll tell you, zero cents.

Wb1234

Referee
if skynz are willing to kick in another $20mill plus a year (lol) and Australian tv doesn’t care they are getting another kiwi team that no one in Oz wants to watch then sure they may get in, presuming as well there is a rich consortium willing to back them. If either of those things arent a reality then I very much doubt they’ll get in.
I forgot their name but there was another group that wanted the nz tv rights in nz. With that competition then I’m sure they will be keen to bid with an extra team in the mix

Wb1234

Referee
If you're going to include small towns located hundreds of kilometres away then there's no excuse for Sydney's 5m people to not travel from Penrith to SFS, or from Central Coast to Penrith to see a Thursday night game. Canterbury drew 8,300 against Sharks.
As new teams were entered into Sydney they took areas that previously belonged to another club

when the cowboys entered the nrl they came in representing far North Queensland. They certainly draw fans from areas other than Townsville

Perth Red

Post Whore
I forgot their name but there was another group that wanted the nz tv rights in nz. With that competition then I’m sure they will be keen to bid with an extra team in the mix
That would put the nz rights at $52.5mill a year. That’s a lot of coin for a subscriber service in a small country where RL is a secondary sport.

Wb1234

Referee
That would put the nz rights at $52.5mill a year. That’s a lot of coin for a subscriber service in a small country where RL is a secondary sport.
Deathride the bid all you want but they are the next team in

I’ve got confidence in vlandys and abdo given their track record as the best sports administrators in Australia

Colk

First Grade

I’ve got confidence in vlandys and abdo given their track record as the best sports administrators in Australia

I wouldn’t say much about Abdo. If their plan is to sure up player talent for a 19th and 20th side and they can plan it well then they are geniuses.

Wb1234

Referee
I wouldn’t say much about Abdo. If their plan is to sure up player talent for a 19th and 20th side and they can plan it well turn they are geniuses.
When they talk about promoting player pathways that’s a longer term project. Nz2 won’t be providing players for teams 19 and 20 (if we get there)

if they develop png properly the supply of nrl players would be basically unlimited. Certainly way more than any teams they could ever add

Perth Red

Post Whore
Jus

Just bringing a dash of reality into your fantasy world lol

Colk

First Grade
When they talk about promoting player pathways that’s a longer term project. Nz2 won’t be providing players for teams 19 and 20 (if we get there)

if they develop png properly the supply of nrl players would be basically unlimited. Certainly way more than any teams they could ever add

You may potentially have that but the financials are huge, If that’s the plan two kiwi sides are more likely stealing talent from union with a number of PNG and Pacific players per side

Wb1234

Referee
You may potentially have that but the financials are huge, If that’s the plan two kiwi sides are more likely stealing talent from union with a number of PNG and Pacific players per side

I think that was posted earlier somewhere he agrees with what you said

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well look how much they are paying for one nz team

I could just say a 2nd team they will pay another 30 million pa
They’re paying that for 8 nrl games A week not just one team. Yeh you can say whatever you like, doesn’t mean it will ever happen lol.

Colk

First Grade
Nfi how too

just try Brisbane times nrl, wa today nrl or the age nrl

that’s how I get around their article limit

Cheers mate. If we can damage RU (minus their fat props or giraffe second rowers) then that gives you the talent for an additional 1-2 sides. If you can then increase the talent from PNG and Pacific then that gives you the rest of the talent necessary

Wb1234

Referee
Cheers mate. If we can damage RU (minus their fat props or giraffe second rowers) then that gives you the talent for an additional 1-2 sides. If you can then increase the talent from PNG and Pacific then that gives you the rest of the talent necessary
Afl is taking the stick insects anyway lol

Colk

First Grade
Afl is taking the stick insects anyway lol

Exactly. Our goal is to become like Gridiron of the Oceania. Take the best athletes. It is obvious that we need to improve our junior links in Australia and look at ways to get the next Buderus and Barrett type of players through - that might be as simple as improving the size and reach of the second tier or something else

It was an interesting article. If you can get up to 20 sides with 2-3 outside of Australia then that is not bad.

Last edited:
As new teams were entered into Sydney they took areas that previously belonged to another club

when the cowboys entered the nrl they came in representing far North Queensland. They certainly draw fans from areas other than Townsville
It's a bit hard getting from a town in Far North Queensland to Townsville on a Thursday or Friday night. The only day conducive to patronage from FNQ to Townsville Stadium is Saturday. Sydney clubs don't have this burden, yet regularly draw abominable crowds around 5k, 6k or 7k.

There's no greater measurement of a Sydney club's fanbase than how many people attend games when an interstate team comes to town. Crowds for these games are dreadful and I've heard Sydney fans argue it's a reason to kick interstate clubs out of the league. I once saw a Roosters fan on The Roar claim the Cowboys offer nothing to the NRL because they don't draw big crowds at the Sydney Football Stadium when they play away there against the Roosters. The idiot was obviously too stupid to realise it's the responsibility of Roosters' fans to fill the SFS when they play there because it's their home ground. I've seen Cronulla fans on this board defend shit crowds at Endeavour by saying "interstate club brought no one" when they played their Sharks.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's a bit hard getting from a town in Far North Queensland to Townsville on a Thursday or Friday night. The only day conducive to patronage from FNQ to Townsville Stadium is Saturday. Sydney clubs don't have this burden, yet regularly draw abominable crowds around 5k, 6k or 7k.

There's no greater measurement of a Sydney club's fanbase than how many people attend games when an interstate team comes to town. Crowds for these games are dreadful and I've heard Sydney fans argue it's a reason to kick interstate clubs out of the league. I once saw a Roosters fan on The Roar claim the Cowboys offer nothing to the NRL because they don't draw big crowds at the Sydney Football Stadium when they play away there against the Roosters. The idiot was obviously too stupid to realise it's the responsibility of Roosters' fans to fill the SFS when they play there because it's their home ground. I've seen Cronulla fans on this board defend shit crowds at Endeavour by saying "interstate club brought no one" when they played their Sharks.
When it takes two sets of fans in Sydney to get the same size crowd as one set of fans outside of Sydney it certainly tells you something.