What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW - 2021

Tigers1986

Juniors
CC are Roosters feeder so already connect to NRLW
Cronulla blew it because they thought their HNWP team was good enough and are not willing to spend the money required, well no that's not how it works.
Mounties may, they are linked with the Bulldogs, but the bulldogs stuffed everything up when they got rid of their HNWP last year and their coach (pre covid) pissed a lot of people off.

I think if there are no Warriors this year there will be 2 more Sydney teams and one QLD team. Based on spending and preparation I see it as Parra and Tigers in Sydney and Titans in QLD.
What is interesting is I head 3 sydney teams have been promised entry this year but I would be very surprised

Yeah I forgot to add that CC had the Easts partnership. Wasn't aware of what Bulldogs did either.

Tigers are definitely heavily investing in it for sure.

Regardless of who goes in, expansion to the clubs and duration of the comp will make it grow in appeal for sure

Brick Tamland

Juniors
CC are Roosters feeder so already connect to NRLW
Cronulla blew it because they thought their HNWP team was good enough and are not willing to spend the money required, well no that's not how it works.
Mounties may, they are linked with the Bulldogs, but the bulldogs stuffed everything up when they got rid of their HNWP last year and their coach (pre covid) pissed a lot of people off.

I think if there are no Warriors this year there will be 2 more Sydney teams and one QLD team. Based on spending and preparation I see it as Parra and Tigers in Sydney and Titans in QLD.
What is interesting is I head 3 sydney teams have been promised entry this year but I would be very surprised
Re the bolded, are you talking about when the sharks were rejected back in 2018 or now?

Because their NWP team is equal top and unbeaten after torching the tigers on the weekend and clearly very good. 5 of their team got selected in the 17 for the origin game as well

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Re the bolded, are you talking about when the sharks were rejected back in 2018 or now?

Because their NWP team is equal top and unbeaten after torching the tigers on the weekend and clearly very good. 5 of their team got selected in the 17 for the origin game as well

Yes I was and I probably worded it wrong, which isn't unusual for me. the issue is you can't take your own HNWP team up to the NRLW. There is a number of players that are labelled elite and you can only have a certain number.
There are 2 big factors at play now, one is location and the other is a willingness to spent the half a mill (at least) required to run a team. Previously Cronulla were not willing to spend the money. that may mean they miss the boat due to location this time..

i am not going to get upset if the do get the nod, but would be surprised.

Also several of those 5 would not stay at Cronulla if they got a team.

On that it will be interesting as St George have basically thrown their previous years recipes out the window, I wonder who they will keep and who they will not worry about.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Apparently there will be an announcement soon
3 new teams all with Blue only one in Sydney

Will be interesting

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

The Gold Coast Titans, Newcastle Knights and Parramatta Eels join the NRLW competition, with the objective of expanding to 8 teams in 2022.

The Australian Rugby League Commission approved the expansion which will see the new clubs join the Brisbane Broncos, St George Illawarra Dragons and Sydney Roosters for NRLW 2021.

NRLW will commence alongside Round 23 of the Telstra Premiership, with each team playing each other once and the top four teams playing in semi-finals. The Grand Final will continue to be played on the same day prior to the NRL Grand Final.

The number of games will increase from 7 to 18 this season and the number of playing weeks will increase from 4 to 7.

The majority of NRLW matches will be played as double headers on the same day as NRL Telstra Premiership matches to maximise exposure for the competition.

After being part of the foundation four clubs who entered the competition in 2018 the Warriors will not participate in the 2021 season because of uncertainty surrounding borders. The club is committed to returning to the competition next year.

With the framework established for the 2021 season the NRL will work with the playing group and clubs on a contracting model.

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said the expansion highlighted the success and growth of the women's game.

"Today is a really special day for the game. Women's rugby league is the fastest growing part of our sport and it's exciting to be in a position to expand the competition after the success of the last three seasons,'' he said.

"The NRLW competition has produced some of the best athletes in Australia, it's captivated a new fan base and today's expansion will give more players the opportunity to play in an elite competition."

Mr Abdo said the Commission was prioritising investment in growing the women's game at all levels.

"Now that we have a really solid base, thriving State competitions and investment in expanding the game from the bottom up, I cannot wait to see the NRLW go to a new level across 7 weeks and 18 games.

"I want to thank the Titans, Knights and Eels for their commitment to women's rugby league. It's an historic day for all clubs and an exciting day for their fans and of course the ongoing commitment of the Broncos, Dragons and Roosters."

Today is a really special day for the game. Women's rugby league is the fastest growing part of our sport and it's exciting to be in a position to expand the competition after the success of the last three seasons

Andrew Abdo
NRL CEO

Naming Rights partner Telstra said the expansion of the competition would provide more opportunities for athletes.

"The continued expansion of the NRLW Telstra Premiership is something we are so excited to see as it provides greater opportunities for aspiring professional female athletes to forge a career and give fans of the game so much more action to watch, and greater connection to the supporters in Newcastle, Gold Coast, and Parramatta,'' said Genelle Sharples, Principal, Media Sponsorship & Awards at Telstra.

Mr Abdo thanked the Warriors for their participation in the NRLW competition.

"The Warriors were part of the first four clubs to join the NRLW competition and we are grateful for the commitment they made right from the start, particularly during the pandemic last year. It's been an incredibly challenging period for the club during COVID and I'm confident we will see the Warriors return to the competition in 2022 as part of our expansion plans. "

Vee

First Grade

Retired Knights star to move into coaching role as three new NRLW teams are announced​

Recently retired NRL star Blake Green will coach the Knights’ inaugural Women’s Premiership team with the governing body announcing on Friday three new teams will be added to the competition.

The Knights, Eels and Titans have been given the green light to enter women’s teams into the competition, which will kick-off in late August, in-line with the men’s Round 23 fixtures. It will run for five rounds with a finals series at the end.

The three new teams will join the Roosters, Dragons and Broncos to make up the competition. The Warriors, who have been a part of the premiership since its inaugural season in 2018, have had to pull out.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo announced the details on Friday and revealed there are plans to continue expanding for the 2022 season.

“Women’s rugby league is the fastest-growing part of our sport and it’s exciting to be in a position to expand the competition after the success of the last three seasons,” he said.

“The NRLW competition has produced some of the best athletes in Australia, it’s captivated a new fanbase and today’s expansion will give more players the opportunity to play in an elite competition.

“The Warriors were part of the first four clubs to join the NRLW competition and we are grateful for the commitment they made right from the start, particularly during the pandemic last year.

“It’s been an incredibly challenging period for the club during COVID and I’m confident we will see the Warriors return to the competition in 2022 as part of our expansion plans.”

The Knights announced Green as coach on Friday, while former Eels player Dean Widders will coach Parramatta’s side. The Titans are expected to confirm their coach in the coming weeks.

After the controversy over the omission of Souths and Cronulla the first time around, strange to see them miss out again.

Still, great to see the Women's game expanding.

10$ Ferret

Staff member

After the controversy over the omission of Souths and Cronulla the first time around, strange to see them miss out again.

Still, great to see the Women's game expanding.

It is good will be interesting to see how the players are spread around
I am not sure Souths and Cronulla actually put in applications for this year.
The controversy around their initial omission was more that there applications were not up to what was required

Brick Tamland

Juniors
Don't remember seeing either of the Sharks 2 media mouthpieces (Slothfield and Riccio) giving the sharks any airtime for the NRLW recently, so i suspect you're on the money with Sharks not putting in an application.

Wonder who will come in with the warriors next year? Given the NRL's desire for geographical footprint, Canberra, Melbourne and North Queensland would have to be the front runners. I know Raiders are making noises about a NRLW team, anyone heard anything about North Queensland or Melbourne?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yawn, nothing gained again...

The NRLW is very much a carbon copy of the AFLW at this point isn't it; an astroturfed league that exists only because of politics and not as a legitimate attempt to create a new RL product.

It's broadcast rights are tacked onto the NRL's, it's match days are tacked onto the NRL's, and it provides no new merchandising opportunities. In other words aside from being an outlet for corporate sponsors to virtue signal how much they support women, it provides no new business opportunities, and isn't intended to.

On top of that, being linked to the NRL means that it is artificially hampered by all the problems that the NRL faces, i.e. Sydney is overrepresented and all the knock-on effects of that, major cities whom should be represented in any serious "national" competition can't get a look in, etc.

It's really quite sad actually, because IMO there is a market for a nation women's league, and if the NRL had started a national league that was open to all bidders, sold it's TV rights independently, had it's own match days at smaller grounds, and required independent brands, they could be well on their way to creating a new, cheaper, alternate product to the NRL. Yes it may have started smaller, but it'd have a significantly higher ceiling as well, with the potential to be a big player in the market in it's own right, as opposed to being reliant on the men's league for it's existence.

In my opinion it's a classic case of the soft bigotry of low expectations striking again.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Yawn, nothing gained again...

The NRLW is very much a carbon copy of the AFLW at this point isn't it; an astroturfed league that exists only because of politics and not as a legitimate attempt to create a new RL product.

It's broadcast rights are tacked onto the NRL's, it's match days are tacked onto the NRL's, and it provides no new merchandising opportunities. In other words aside from being an outlet for corporate sponsors to virtue signal how much they support women, it provides no new business opportunities, and isn't intended to.

On top of that, being linked to the NRL means that it is artificially hampered by all the problems that the NRL faces, i.e. Sydney is overrepresented and all the knock-on effects of that, major cities whom should be represented in any serious "national" competition can't get a look in, etc.

It's really quite sad actually, because IMO there is a market for a nation women's league, and if the NRL had started a national league that was open to all bidders, sold it's TV rights independently, had it's own match days at smaller grounds, and required independent brands, they could be well on their way to creating a new, cheaper, alternate product to the NRL. Yes it may have started smaller, but it'd have a significantly higher ceiling as well, with the potential to be a big player in the market in it's own right, as opposed to being reliant on the men's league for it's existence.

In my opinion it's a classic case of the soft bigotry of low expectations striking again.

Sorry but this is nothing like the AFLW. The AFLW went after quantity over quality from day 1 and is mostly a substandard product. Until the current admin came along the NRLW was about quality.
Have they got the timing right, maybe maybe not, but women's RL is by far the fastest growing part of the game and this competition is needed.
In terms of being Sydney centric, the only teams that have applied and not granted a license were Sydney teams.
As far as tacking it onto the NRL I think its important to give it that exposure and a combination of stand alone and NRL openers is the best way to go

Latest posts