What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW season 2022

Nuke

Staff member
This is the first time in a long time that I've been disappointed to be so far away from NSW at Grand Final time.

I was at the 1997 Grand Final, but couldn't fly to Sydney for the 2001 GF (due to Ansett collapsing, QANTAS being the only option, but as such raising prices to stupidly high levels). That was tough, being in Perth while 4,000km away Joey was raising the premiership trophy.
I've since been with mates to a few other GF's, but no others have I really ever longed to be at.
I reckon next Sunday will be a cracking day / night.

PhilGould

Bench

How the NRLW Knights put their male counterparts to shame​

When the Newcastle Knights' men's squad return next month for day one of pre-season training, they should be taken straight to the theatrette in their Centre of Excellence to watch a replay of Sunday's NRLW grand final.

Because that's how you're supposed to play rugby league.

Everything that was so lacking during Newcastle's dismal NRL season was on display, not just in Sunday's decider, but throughout the NRLW season.

These inspirational women have effectively put their male counterparts to shame.

The scoreline - a 32-12 triumph against Parramatta - might suggest the Knights dominated from start to finish against an outclassed opponent, but that was far from the case.

Newcastle started poorly. Four handling errors and a penalty gifted the Eels field position, and sure enough they opened the scoring with a converted try.

But just as the Knights appeared rattled, they regrouped and counter-punched with three tries before half-time, and another shortly after the break, to lead 18-6. Then the Eels jagged a try and again the momentum shifted.

With the game in the balance, Newcastle regained their composure, lifted the intensity, and finished with three tries in the final 10 minutes.

In doing so, they continued an impressive trend. Several times previously, the Knights had overcome deficits and scoreboard pressure to win games at the death.

On each occasion, they rose to the challenge, returned to the game plan and backed themselves in.

When the going gets tough, Ron Griffiths' troops get going. Compare that to Newcastle's men, who spent most of 2022 impersonating a house of cards in a gale.

And then ask yourself one simple question: when was the last time the NRL Knights delivered a genuinely memorable, gutsy win? I'd suggest it was a long, long time ago.

Remember, too, that the NRLW players are effectively part-timers who juggle "real" jobs or study with their footballing commitments. The salary cap for each NRLW team is just $350,000, split between 24 players.

It's also worth noting that while the NRL Knights lamented an apparently insurmountable injury toll, the women lost marquee forward Hannah Southwell just minutes into their first game. Season over. Yet you didn't hear them making excuses.

They just chose a replacement and got on with the job.

All season long, Griffiths spoke about producing performances that made the community proud.

They achieved that on a weekly basis, and then, most importantly, on the biggest stage of all.

Over to you, gents.

Jono078

Referee
They’re everything their counterparts should be.

Big athletic front rowers leading the way, not just physically.

Freaky talented fullback pulling off the tricks but also always in the right spot at the right time in both attack and defense.

Never give up attitude across the board. Playing football and always distributing the ball to someone in better position.

Honestly so glad we have this NRLW team to represent Newcastle exactly how we should be.

In for a tough game, every game.

PhilGould

Bench
Millie Boyle, Tamika Upton, Caitlan Johnston & Yasmin Clydsdale were named in the Jillaroos squad but Boyle & Upton have both withdrawn themselves. Southwell was just overlooked rather than being ineligible based on comments from the coach. Broncos, who finished second last, had more players picked than the premiers - including both halves.

Shanice Parker & Autumn-Rain Stephens-Daly are in the NZ Kiwi Ferns squad, and Kiana Takairangi is in the Cook Islands squad.

Burwood

Bench
On top of that, three co-captains were named, but somehow Boyle is overlooked. I hope the core of this team can stay together for another 2-3 seasons and create bit of a dynasty.

On top of that, three co-captains were named, but somehow Boyle is overlooked. I hope the core of this team can stay together for another 2-3 seasons and create bit of a dynasty.
Fat chance unfortunately with 4 new teams coming in next year

I think at the very least we will lose Teitzel to the new NQ team, Parker to a team looking for a fullback, Predebon back to Sydney to get a starting prop position and 1 or 2 more

PhilGould

Bench
Every team will lose some players but working in our favour is the fact that the majority of our core are locals who already live and work in the area. Until they start signing year round contracts it's pretty difficult for the majority of the player base to put their work on hold to relocate for a few months, a lot easier if you're just switching between Sydney or SEQ clubs. Arguably the biggest name in the women's game just pulled out of a World Cup due to work commitments, showing how far we still have to go on that front.

Teitzel & Manzelmann will go home to NQ.

Predebon is easily good enough to start elsewhere and will probably get offers to do so.

Think we lose one of Dibb & Moran. Would prefer to keep Dibb but she'll be more expensive and seems like a prime candidate for one of the new Sydney teams. Moran is good enough to be a starting half elsewhere if that path is still blocked here.

Upton is the biggest question mark. Her comments after the game sounded like she plans on staying but she won't be short on options and could probably become the highest paid player in the comp.

If we can keep Boyle, Upton, Johnston & Southwell x2 together we'll be in a good spot.

mozza91

Coach
The whole comparing the girls favourably to the men has been done to death.

It’s actually disrespectful to the NRLW team and their success to use them as a way to just take shots at the blokes.

Just give them the wraps they’ve earned and deserve.

Jono078

Referee
The whole comparing the girls favourably to the men has been done to death.

It’s actually disrespectful to the NRLW team and their success to use them as a way to just take shots at the blokes.

Just give them the wraps they’ve earned and deserve.
I don't agree. Not sure how it's disrespectful to the women, saying how amazing they've been in representing us and wishing the guys could do the same.

I hope the blokes take it personally and try to earn the fans love and respect like the women have.

It's sport, you're always going to be compared to the best - whether it's within your club, your comp or the world.

mozza91

Coach
I don't agree. Not sure how it's disrespectful to the women, saying how amazing they've been in representing us and wishing the guys could do the same.

I hope the blokes take it personally and try to earn the fans love and respect like the women have.

It's sport, you're always going to be compared to the best - whether it's within your club, your comp or the world.
Ideally yes. But I feel like Dillon is more interested in hanging shit on the blokes rather than talking up the girls.

I’ve been guilty of it myself. The response and turnout this arvo shows how the fans feel about their achievement, why do we need the add ons about the NRL side?

Apey

Staff member
Really glad I went in town and saw them yesterday - they deserve all the celebrations. I hope we get to keep a good core of them for next season. I was at the very end of the line for autographs and no doubt some of them weren't used to having to sign so many. Get used to it girls, the competition will only grow from here. Got my jersey I've had for 10 years signed by the team, I'm thinking it's time for new one next year anyway.

There's a virtual award night tonight for Jersey Flegg, NRLW etc. Hoping I remember to tune in to see how the NRLW awards go in particular.

Latest posts