What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRLW to expand in 2023 and 24

10$ Ferret

Staff member
The stand alone games were initially not supported by the clubs as it was considered that the exposure for the sponsors would not be as great

Dogs Of War

Coach
This would have it come up against the WBBL which I doubt is a battle the NRLW wants now or at any point TBH given the strength of that competition. .
Which is why I said the Comp needs to finish mid nov if the nrl goes down this path. Minimise overlap but prevent it hitting other sports like cricket as much as possible. Sports starved fans in that window would eat it up.

Valheru

Coach
Which is why I said the Comp needs to finish mid nov if the nrl goes down this path. Minimise overlap but prevent it hitting other sports like cricket as much as possible. Sports starved fans in that window would eat it up.

The WBBL goes from mid October until mid November. NRLW would literally be competing with the whole WBBL season.

Valheru

Coach
well it should happen. What’s the alternative? Go against nrl mens games? As far as sports timings go it’s as much clear air as you can get.

I'm not saying it isn't an option, just that it would mean going against the entirety of the WBBL which is really the giant of women's sport in Australia at the moment.

Personally I think it should stay in the traditional footy season. At this stage on its development, with a 10 team comp I would have 9 rounds plus 2 weeks of finals. For the first 7 rounds, 3 games per week as curtain raisers to the NRL and then the other standalone at 1PM Saturday and midday Sunday. First 2 weeks of NRL finals have them all in standalone slots. NRL prelim final weekend I would play NRLW semis as a double header in the sunday arvo.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'm not saying it isn't an option, just that it would mean going against the entirety of the WBBL which is really the giant of women's sport in Australia at the moment.

Personally I think it should stay in the traditional footy season. At this stage on its development, with a 10 team comp I would have 9 rounds plus 2 weeks of finals. For the first 7 rounds, 3 games per week as curtain raisers to the NRL and then the other standalone at 1PM Saturday and midday Sunday. First 2 weeks of NRL finals have them all in standalone slots. NRL prelim final weekend I would play NRLW semis as a double header in the sunday arvo.
Then you just have the same problem womens cricket had when it was a curtain raiser for the mens comp. If you want it to stand in its own two feet. Then it needs clean air from the mens comp to attract money and sponsorship to it.

Personally I wouldn’t have had womens clubs associated with mens clubs and would have preferred they formed there own identity. Why repeat the mistakes of how the NRL came to be. Should have been a team representing east, west, north and south Sydney. A club each representing Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich and Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast.

Build it better.

Last edited:

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Personally I wouldn’t have had womens clubs associated with mens clubs and would have preferred they formed there own identity. Why repeat the mistakes of how the NRL came to be. Should have been a team representing east, west, north and south Sydney. A club each representing Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich and Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast.
I like the sentiment but as a St. George fan starved of success I really got caught up in the women`s team charge to the final last year. I`d like to think that other League fans would start to view the women`s arm of their club the same.
Imagine if a success starved club like the Tigers could have a successful women`s team, could really take off.

Eion

First Grade
NR want clubs to pay for it, hence the club approach
That and it’s the best way to establish and grow it with already engaged fan bases.

I’ve got girls and they have been excited about the sharks inclusion, asking when the comp starts, if they can go to games. They sure as shit wouldn’t have asked if it was the South East Sydney Sirens or some other nonsense.

That is what works about rugby league in this city. Tribalism. Mess with it at your peril. At least this administration gets that.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Its very much the tribalism and cashing in on existing supporters.
But the NRL clubs have the mechanisms and the pull to get the sponsorship too

siv

First Grade
Looks like NRLW has replaced NSW Cup on Fox as a signal for future TV coverage

Dakink

Bench
I like the NRLW being linked with the host clubs. Unless an external club can produce overwhelming evidence they would be just as good better than an NRLW club linked to and NRL men's then I'm happy. I have an instant link to the women's team.

siv

First Grade
How can it cost $1.7mil to run an nrlw team for a 9 game regular season?

Because the medical costs are high

You need to pay a fulltime wage as people are already struggling to take time off work

And you need a squad if around 20 odd players

Plus normal coaching, training and venue costs

Plus you are competing with Rugby, AFL, Cricket & Soccer for women sports stars

Most of these girls are stars in multiple sports

JFK Files

Juniors
The new clubs should be looking to sign some of those England players, they are amateurs and would thrive in a professional environment.
Hollie Dodd 19
Fran Goldthorp 19
Paige Travis 22
Olivia Wood 21
They would be who I would target but several others like Whitfield, Roche & Burke would be good signings too.

Because the medical costs are high

You need to pay a fulltime wage as people are already struggling to take time off work

And you need a squad if around 20 odd players

Plus normal coaching, training and venue costs

Plus you are competing with Rugby, AFL, Cricket & Soccer for women sports stars

Most of these girls are stars in multiple sports
These figures seem to be bandied around but it would be good if journalists could actually list the make up of these costs though

The two NRLW comps in 2022 the cap was 350k for 24 player squads - teams could have 2 full time marque players and sign 22 other players under the 350k cap - minimum wage was 10k

Apart from the 2 marque players the other 22 are very much part time players fitting in training and playing schedules around their full time jobs and other responsibilities.

Funding for NRLW clubs is said to be increasing from $450,000 to $1.2 million, while the women's salary cap will rise to $800,000 - more than double its previous figure.

Why then is it that clubs are saying they will out of pocket 500k - basically saying it will cost them 1.7 mill to run a NRLW side. - 500 k above the 1.2 mill funding

With the cap 800k and overall funding 1.2 million what do they spend this 500k above the funding on then ?

siv

First Grade
These figures seem to be bandied around but it would be good if journalists could actually list the make up of these costs though

The two NRLW comps in 2022 the cap was 350k for 24 player squads - teams could have 2 full time marque players and sign 22 other players under the 350k cap - minimum wage was 10k

Apart from the 2 marque players the other 22 are very much part time players fitting in training and playing schedules around their full time jobs and other responsibilities.

Funding for NRLW clubs is said to be increasing from $450,000 to $1.2 million, while the women's salary cap will rise to $800,000 - more than double its previous figure.

Why then is it that clubs are saying they will out of pocket 500k - basically saying it will cost them 1.7 mill to run a NRLW side. - 500 k above the 1.2 mill funding

With the cap 800k and overall funding 1.2 million what do they spend this 500k above the funding on then ?
Maybe development and pathways

With 10 teams it will surely be a top 5 and a 4 week final series at the same time as the Men's NRL Final series as after all they had a top 4 with 6 teams.