What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 16s and 18s 2013

Tucantango

Juniors
Watene-Zelezniak's first try was apparently an absolute beauty!!!

It was Daz. That kid has finally gotten the recognition he has deserved for so long. the Panthers will find it hard to keep him with the money he will now certainly attract! Neglecting injury he will certainly take out the coveted No.1 Oz Schools jersey this year.

Matu'atia had a blinder as well and was voted 'Players Player'. As I said in my earlier posts; he did not have a great season in terms of the SG Ball season, but as I also added it doesn't detract from him being as class player and worthy of selection; and he didn't disappoint! Another who will surely earn the Schoolboy Green and Gold!

Like Mata'utia, Morgan too did not have a great SGB season, but on the night he was was very solid, especially in defence under the high ball. He diffused a couple of in goal bombs, and with Aitken defended several raids early on in the game when QLD looked like they might get back into the game. Also scored a great try fending off his opposite winger and scoring in the corner. The long cut out ball he recieved from Hutcho was off this planet!

Johnson also had a great night, and like Zalezniak and Mata'utia, he was also scintillating in the open. Admittedly 70-75% of the attack (as it concerned the outside backs) went down his and Mata'utia's flank (i.e Aitken and Morgan seen very little), but it was justified as it became apparently clear that the opposing QLD centre and winger were not of equal standard or ability. Both will have nightmares of Jono and Mata running at at them for years to come!

And Hastings; well what can I say? His goal kicking on the night left a lot to be desired (but who cares they won very convincingly). Needless to say everything else he did was sublime! I am a big fan, and not saying I wasn't before, after all I picked him as a smoky (just not as my preferred half-back - I was wrong). Him and the Hutcho were fantastic on both sides of the field. As stated above Hutcho has a flawless passing game and goes to the line well.

With respect to the forwards, I personally dont know who to pick. Clay was brilliant in feeding and directing them with good ball all night (and scored a brilliant try in doing so). Each lad was strong in their respective carries which laid a great platform all night for the backs to capitalise, and there were some massive hits! I recall one Queenslander getting up-ended and shortly thereafter planted deep into the soil of Lang Park, and standing over his body was Bird, Meehan and Tatola! Whitelaw and Armstrong were always in the thick of it and led by example. The young ones weren't going to be denied any glory either as Pangai, Clark, and Fuiamono showed why they too were also deserving of selection!

Nevertheless for mine the energiser bunny award of the night went to Birdy! F@#k me he never stopped all night! I also have it on good authority that this lad plays with an arthritical condition every week (a condition that has no cure), and one that costs his family near $500 a week in medication (and they apparrently recieve very little or no financial help excepting that which was from a fundraiser!!!!!). That is all heart in any man's book! Given the nature of arthritis and it various genetic strains, medication only ever alleviates the symtoms and pain, so I am guessing Bird would have to play and/or train with some discomfort, so hats off to him, I pray he goes far. That is some sacrafice. His parents too should be commended!

All up well done baby-Blues, hope to see most of you in 1-2 (or even 3) years representing the 20's or better!

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
It was Daz. That kid has finally gotten the recognition he has deserved for so long. the Panthers will find it hard to keep him with the money he will now certainly attract! Neglecting injury he will certainly take out the coveted No.1 Oz Schools jersey this year.

Matu'atia had a blinder as well and was voted 'Players Player'. As I said in my earlier posts; he did not have a great season in terms of the SG Ball season, but as I also added it doesn't detract from him being as class player and worthy of selection; and he didn't disappoint! Another who will surely earn the Schoolboy Green and Gold!

Like Mata'utia, Morgan too did not have a great SGB season, but on the night he was was very solid, especially in defence under the high ball. He diffused a couple of in goal bombs, and with Aitken defended several raids early on in the game when QLD looked like they might get back into the game. Also scored a great try fending off his opposite winger and scoring in the corner. The long cut out ball he recieved from Hutcho was off this planet!

Johnson also had a great night, and like Zalezniak and Mata'utia, he was also scintillating in the open. Admittedly 70-75% of the attack (as it concerned the outside backs) went down his and Mata'utia's flank (i.e Aitken and Morgan seen very little), but it was justified as it became apparently clear that the opposing QLD centre and winger were not of equal standard or ability. Both will have nightmares of Jono and Mata running at at them for years to come!

And Hastings; well what can I say? His goal kicking on the night left a lot to be desired (but who cares they won very convincingly). Needless to say everything else he did was sublime! I am a big fan, and not saying I wasn't before, after all I picked him as a smoky (just not as my preferred half-back - I was wrong). Him and the Hutcho were fantastic on both sides of the field. As stated above Hutcho has a flawless passing game and goes to the line well.

With respect to the forwards, I personally dont know who to pick. Clay was brilliant in feeding and directing them with good ball all night (and scored a brilliant try in doing so). Each lad was strong in their respective carries which laid a great platform all night for the backs to capitalise, and there were some massive hits! I recall one Queenslander getting up-ended and shortly thereafter planted deep into the soil of Lang Park, and standing over his body was Bird, Meehan and Tatola! Whitelaw and Armstrong were always in the thick of it and led by example. The young ones weren't going to be denied any glory either as Pangai, Clark, and Fuiamono showed why they too were also deserving of selection!

Nevertheless for mine the energiser bunny award of the night went to Birdy! F@#k me he never stopped all night! I also have it on good authority that this lad plays with an arthritical condition every week (a condition that has no cure), and one that costs his family near $500 a week in medication (and they apparrently recieve very little or no financial help excepting that which was from a fundraiser!!!!!). That is all heart in any man's book! Given the nature of arthritis and it various genetic strains, medication only ever alleviates the symtoms and pain, so I am guessing Bird would have to play and/or train with some discomfort, so hats off to him, I pray he goes far. That is some sacrafice. His parents too should be commended!

All up well done baby-Blues, hope to see most of you in 1-2 (or even 3) years representing the 20's or better!

Do you think Sione Mata'utia could handle NYC?

magpie4ever

First Grade
Just to let everyone know:

2013 AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLBOYS TEAM

1 NSWCCC Dallin Watene-Zelezniak Patrician Brothers College Blacktown
2 NSWCHS Sione Mata’utia Hunter Sports High School
3 NSWCHS Euan Aitken Illawarra Sports High School
4 QLD Marion Seve Keebra Park State High School
5 NSWCHS Nathan Davis James Busby High School
6 QLD Jayden Nikorima Wavell State High School
7 NSWCHS Jackson Hastings Illawarra Sports High School
8 NSWCHS Vincent Leuluai Sarah Redfern High School