What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 16s and 18s

LeaguesFan

Juniors
6 kids from Illawarra will be in the possibles/probables game.
Fullback Dylan Russell, Centre DJ Harris, 5/8 Drew Hutchison, Lock Jack Bird and Second Rowers Luke Monds and Ryan James. All very much deserved. Do feel sorry for front rower Atallah though he must of come close one would like to think. Scored a great try to get Steelers back into the game.

aqua_duck

Coach
Doga,

How reliable is your source? My understanding from a very reliable person ... Lmao .... is that the dad is an industrial employment lawyer of some kind and has not put pen to paper as there has been offers from several other clubs. Like Aqua duck I have also heard that the parents couldn't give a shit about rugby league and that education is the focus.

Aqua duck can you lend anything on this one and ask the mum?

BTW when are the teams being announced? I want to see who has the better footy eye in this forum for spotting talent ... Lmao!

Regards,
Tuc.
Last time I spoke to his mum was a few weeks ago when I worked out that he was her son. At the time she told me she'd been approached by Peter O'Sullivan, but said they didn't want Michael to sign anything till he finished school, but she said for the time being they were very happy with the treatment they were getting at the dogs, also all his mates were there. They wanted him to be able to concentrate on school first and foremost and just play footy as a recreational thing. Unless things have changed the kid will be playing on a year to year basis (probably at the dogs) until he finishes school and will then assess any offers.
In this day and age I think his parents should be applauded for that attitude.

girvie

Staff member
Is the NSW Under-16s probables vs possibles tomorrow?

If true then i'm sure the teams have been announced, does anyone know where we can get a list from?

richies

Juniors
Last time I spoke to his mum was a few weeks ago when I worked out that he was her son. At the time she told me she'd been approached by Peter O'Sullivan, but said they didn't want Michael to sign anything till he finished school, but she said for the time being they were very happy with the treatment they were getting at the dogs, also all his mates were there. They wanted him to be able to concentrate on school first and foremost and just play footy as a recreational thing. Unless things have changed the kid will be playing on a year to year basis (probably at the dogs) until he finishes school and will then assess any offers.

too true
yes his best mate is Addison Demetriou from the dogs

Alba

Coach
Can anyone that went to the game (possibles v probables) give me their predictions. I can't seem to get hold of anyone to find out.

Tucantango

Juniors
Can anyone that went to the game (possibles v probables) give me their predictions. I can't seem to get hold of anyone to find out.

Alba,

See my earlier quotes, however after watching the game last night the selectors certainly have a massive (and I mean massive) headache! The talent on show was unreal.

For me the standouts were Deejay Harris, John Fomai and Drew Hutchinson (if this is the name for the Illawarra five-eight). This Hutchinson kid has a brilliant passing and kicking game!

From my earlier picks I would be changing Demetriou from lock to bench (with one on the bench being omitted that being Atallah). Bird back to lock. Hutchinson to 5/8. Clay in the hooking role. Lussick out and Cox in to the half-back role! I do believe Ben Johns should be in but where to him is the dilemma?

I was interested in Taane Milne earlier on however he missed a few to many tackles for my liking! It would have been good to see the Bulldogs boys play though! During the two games I have watched them and the Steelers play they were the only team able to contain Deejay (no-one could do this last night).

Regards,
Tuc.

Last edited:

Alba

Coach
Thank you, I have read all previous posts but what I meant was after the game were there standouts for selection. My little brother played and I couldn't get in contact with anyone who went to find out how he did. I kinda wanted an outside opinion anyway, not a biased one.

Doga

Juniors

Certainly is refreshing!!

half_back

Juniors
Alba,

See my earlier quotes, however after watching the game last night the selectors certainly have a massive (and I mean massive) headache! The talent on show was unreal.

For me the standouts were Deejay Harris, John Fomai and Drew Hutchinson (if this is the name for the Illawarra five-eight). This Hutchinson kid has a brilliant passing and kicking game!

From my earlier picks I would be changing Demetriou from lock to bench (with one on the bench being omitted that being Atallah). Bird back to lock. Hutchinson to 5/8. Clay in the hooking role. Lussick out and Cox in to the half-back role! I do believe Ben Johns should be in but where to him is the dilemma?

I was interested in Taane Milne earlier on however he missed a few to many tackles for my liking! It would have been good to see the Bulldogs boys play though! During the two games I have watched them and the Steelers play they were the only team able to contain Deejay (no-one could do this last night).

Regards,
Tuc.

Think the 9 will be a tough affair, Deitz was a standout also. The backrow as expected will be a tough one. A number of candidates stood up. Thought Pangai was great (although primarily played prop), Moeroa was great especially early busting through a few for the first try. Fonua Blake was hard to contain whenever he had the ball. Funaki was strong also.

Not too sure about the front row, not as dominant as pervious years and quite possibly some back rowers will play there if not the dogs might find they have a couple in here.

Agree that Cox will probably get half gig, noone was outstanding there (kid from the bush was decent had a spell on wing scored a runaway try and in half so could be utility), Harris in centres was the pick although not much ball found its way out wide (it was a trial afterall). That should open up the spot nicely for Morgan.

No fullback stood out again could open up for Poleo, barring that Fomai if not a winger could play 1. Bird wasnt dominant but will get selected although the 13 with the frizzy hair caused all sorts of headaches for the defence and would be hard pressed not to be selected.

As mentioned a great selection trial of the highest quality which no doubt made it hard for some to standout in this company.

overandout

Juniors
Wighton and Cornish tipped to be 18s halves.

Selectors give Massey that sinking feeling

BY JON TUXWORTH
11 May, 2011 07:15 AM
While Raiders coach David Furner resists making wholesale changes to his side, calls for more of the club's young talent to be given a chance are growing louder.
Toyota Cup custodian Nathan Massey was solid on debut for the Raiders on a wet Brookvale Oval on Monday night but drops back to the under-20 competition for Saturday's Melbourne match to make way for Country fullback Josh Dugan.
Toyota Cup coach David Hamilton is convinced a handful of his players would cope with the intensity of the NRL if given an opportunity in the top flight this year.
Halfback Sam Williams has played three first grade matches this year, and second-rower Josh Papalii, who turns 19 on Friday, is another Hamilton believes has the quality to succeed at the elite and demanding NRL level.
''I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him, and there's a couple of other boys not far off,'' Hamilton said. ''[Prop] Shannon Boyd's probably another 12 months off and [second-rower] Paul Vaughan's been playing the house down week-in, week-out.''
Likewise, Raiders players competing in the Queensland Cup for Souths Logan are pressing their claims for NRL selection.
Back-rower Sam Mataora was promoted from the Souths Logan side and made the most of a chance in the NRL, registering 78m from 10 runs, three tackle breaks and 22 tackles in just 42 minutes of game time against Manly.
''Sam went well and you have to give Furnsey some credit there,'' Hamilton said.
''He was the one that blooded these boys in the first place and he's still going back to them, so that's a feather in his cap.''
Souths Logan has won three of seven matches in the Queensland Cup this season.
Coach Mark Beaumont said second-rower Jarrad Kennedy was the clear Magpies candidate pressing for NRL selection.
Former Warriors prop Mark Ioane also excelled up north early before sustaining a knee injury, while out of favour halfback Mick Picker scored three tries in last week's loss to Ipswich.
''Jarrad's been very consistent, but whether he's up to that step [NRL] having not been there before [is unclear],'' Beaumont said.
''Maybe a year of Queensland Cup will do him the world of good.''
Beaumont added he couldn't fault the attitude of dropped first graders Travis Waddell and Daniel Vidot against Ipswich.
''Daniel carried the ball strongly, and played solidly without being outstanding,'' he said.
Canberra's future halves prospects in particular look extremely promising. Aside from Williams, the Raiders also boast five-eighth Jack Wighton (Toyota Cup) and halfback Mitch Cornish (SG Ball).
Wighton scored four tries in a win over the Titans last month, and he and Cornish are tipped to be the halves pairing for this year's NSW under-18 side.
Raiders halfback Matt Orford last week compared Williams's temperament to that of a young Cameron Smith, who he played alongside at Melbourne.

''To have a temperament like Cam Smith is a fairly big rap, but it's a great quality to have as a halfback,'' he said.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...that-sinking-feeling/2159223.aspx?storypage=0

Last edited:

girvie

Staff member
Does anyone have the full list of players who played in the Under-16s probables possibles game?

drago brelli

Bench
Why do they need to have a possibles v possibles game in order to choose thye nsw u/16?. They have just completed the season. Don't the selectors watch the round games?

desx

Juniors
Just a response to Half_back's comment;
"Bird wasnt dominant but will get selected although the 13 with the frizzy hair".
Jack Bird couldn't dominate this one because he didn't play. He had stitches in his chin from the Bulldogs game — he is already in the NSW team, should be captain. Wasn't there, but the frizzy haired lock was probably Euan Aitkin from Eden on the far South Coast.

ashton

Juniors

New South Wales U/16 Team Announced
NSWRL MEDIA

14/05/2011 2:41:24 PM

The following players have today been selected to represent the NSW Under 16’s v QLD Under 16’s at SUNCORP Stadium on Wednesday 25th May 2011 prior to State of Origin One.
PLAYER - CLUB
Dylan Russell - Illawarra
Alex Johnston - South Sydney
Dee Jay Harris - Illawarra
Michael Morgan - Bulldogs
John Fomai - Parramatta
Drew Hutchison - Illawarra
Brendan Cox - Bulldogs
Jack Bird - Illawarra
Tepai Moeroa - Parramatta
Blake Harrison - Manly
Jake Kamire - Bulldogs
Brad Deitz - Roosters
Matt Lodge - Penrith
Zac Dockar-Clay - Parramatta
Addison Demetriou - Bulldogs
Brett Solomon - Canberra
Euan Aitken - CRL

half_back

Juniors
New South Wales U/16 Team Announced
NSWRL MEDIA

14/05/2011 2:41:24 PM

The following players have today been selected to represent the NSW Under 16’s v QLD Under 16’s at SUNCORP Stadium on Wednesday 25th May 2011 prior to State of Origin One.
PLAYER - CLUB
Dylan Russell - Illawarra
Alex Johnston - South Sydney
Dee Jay Harris - Illawarra
Michael Morgan - Bulldogs
John Fomai - Parramatta
Drew Hutchison - Illawarra
Brendan Cox - Bulldogs
Jack Bird - Illawarra
Tepai Moeroa - Parramatta
Blake Harrison - Manly
Jake Kamire - Bulldogs
Brad Deitz - Roosters
Matt Lodge - Penrith
Zac Dockar-Clay - Parramatta
Addison Demetriou - Bulldogs
Brett Solomon - Canberra
Euan Aitken - CRL

A few suprises in Harrison and Soloman especially given the back row strength and the great performances of Pangai and fonua blake on Tuesday as well as Iuta with 3 tries today. Not suprised by Aitken as I mentioned earlier and thanks to desx for identifying him he was outstanding on Tuesday. Interesting that it seems half the squad was picked on Tuesday performance like Aitken and Deitz (outstanding) over clay while others were picked on form throughout the competition Johnston and Russell were fairly ordinary on Tuesday. Tough to measure the performances of the Dogs players who didnt play Tuesday on first glance it seems that they were used to fill holes from Tuesday. There were no real front rowers as I previously said opening up spot Kamire, only Harris stood out in the centres giving Morgan a free run, no half was dominat ala Cox. Poleo was very unlucky given the performance of the Fullbacks. Hutchison has stood up throughout the finals and on Tuesday and deserved his spot.

aqua_duck

Coach
Very surprised Tevita Pangai didn't make it, he was unstoppable at times, will murder some poor kids next year in Matts, hopefully not being selected will motivate him for another season of Matts next year, if so I feel sorry for the poor kids standing in his way

sami12

Juniors
A few suprises in Harrison and Soloman especially given the back row strength and the great performances of Pangai and fonua blake on Tuesday as well as Iuta with 3 tries today. Not suprised by Aitken as I mentioned earlier and thanks to desx for identifying him he was outstanding on Tuesday. Interesting that it seems half the squad was picked on Tuesday performance like Aitken and Deitz (outstanding) over clay while others were picked on form throughout the competition Johnston and Russell were fairly ordinary on Tuesday. Tough to measure the performances of the Dogs players who didnt play Tuesday on first glance it seems that they were used to fill holes from Tuesday. There were no real front rowers as I previously said opening up spot Kamire, only Harris stood out in the centres giving Morgan a free run, no half was dominat ala Cox. Poleo was very unlucky given the performance of the Fullbacks. Hutchison has stood up throughout the finals and on Tuesday and deserved his spot.

Latest posts