What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 18s name 4 Dragons

Father Ted

First Grade
Young Blues Dominate Queensland

Wednesday 26 June 2013 7:00 PM

00083405-leadimage.jpg

New South Wales U18 team convincingly defeat Queensland by 50 points at Suncorp Stadium.
The Dragons were represented by four players with halfback Jackson Hastings, five-eight Drew Hutchinson, lock Jack Bird and centre Euan Aitken who all played starring roles for the Blues.
Hastings had the added honour of Captaining the NSW team and scored two tries and kicked six goals in the 56-6 victory.
"I would like to thank everyone that was involved in the week and made it possible and so enjoyable," Hastings said upon accepting the winning trophy.
"I would also like to thank the Queensland boys, the score doesn't reflect how tough the game was.”
New South Wales scored six tries in the opening half to Queensland’s one.
Sione Mata‘utia, crossed the stripe to be the Blues opening try scorer. He bagged a double, crossing the strip again within minutes. Unfortunately, Hastings was unable to convert the first two.
The young Queenslanders crossed the stripe in the seventeenth minute, with a successful conversion that followed.
Less than ten minutes later, NSW fullback ran the length of the field, swiftly side-stepping the Queensland defenders to plant the ball beneath the posts. Hastings converted, taking the Blues lead to 14-6.
The Blues pushed on and just a couple of minutes later Hastings converted a solid Blues try.
Hastings put on a show with a neat step from dummy half to score, but the conversion was unsuccessful.
Queensland’s defence was strong, but not strong enough to keep out an enthusiastic Blues side, who barrelled over the line to score from a grubber kick by Hastings right on half-time.
The score after the first forty demonstrated the Blues domination on the field with a 28-6 lead.
Fifteen minutes into the second half and the young Blues again showed their field dominance, Red V representatives Jack Bird and Jackson Hastings set up a neat try for Blues fullback. Hastings’ conversion was good pushing their lead further.
Hastings on fire again well into the second half crossing the line a second time, converting his own try.
A long cut-out pass from Drew Hutchison, with less than ten minutes remaining and the Blues score in the far corner taking the lead to 50-6. Hastings missed the conversion.
Just minutes later NSW a swift line break from NSW and the fullback races away to ground the ball under the posts. Hastings converts in the final minutes.
The young Blues demonstrated an exceptional attacking form throughout the game, dominating the Queenslanders, eleven tries to one, with the full time score 56-6.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/78060

possum

Hey BennyV, I have heard the kids he plays with don't care if he goes either, they think he is not a team player and plays for himself as Supermum says he can play any position so why do they need to be out there,he obvisily can do it on his own with the help from the media and the officals at st george they are not going to have a team as it will be a one man team .It is a shame that someone so young has so many wraps on himself and it is so clear even his team mates don't respect him. It is someone they don't look up too that's for sure. So I don't think the players will loose sleep if he goes either ..as many will possibly leave what will be will be and good luck to him as he a good player I just don't think he is as good as people are saying. We have a lot of Talent in NSW and I don't think he is the best of the best ...is it the Fame in the Name ?? who cares
money is the ruin of this and it is going to ruin the game and it's all about GREED ..show me the MONEY

BennyV

Referee
Hey BennyV, I have heard the kids he plays with don't care if he goes either, they think he is not a team player and plays for himself as Supermum says he can play any position so why do they need to be out there,he obvisily can do it on his own with the help from the media and the officals at st george they are not going to have a team as it will be a one man team .It is a shame that someone so young has so many wraps on himself and it is so clear even his team mates don't respect him. It is someone they don't look up too that's for sure. So I don't think the players will loose sleep if he goes either ..as many will possibly leave what will be will be and good luck to him as he a good player I just don't think he is as good as people are saying. We have a lot of Talent in NSW and I don't think he is the best of the best ...is it the Fame in the Name ?? who cares
money is the ruin of this and it is going to ruin the game and it's all about GREED ..show me the MONEY

My younger brother has a mate in the Under 20s and he has said this also - Hastings has a big head on him and isnt much of a team player. Confidence is essential for a half in terms of directing a team around, but cockiness at this age makes me think that he believes things will fall into his lap and he wont have to work for himself and his career. Having Politis and Bennett pandering to him doesnt help that.

Hearing that made me think that (while I'd love to keep him around) losing him isnt the be all and end all. Also backs up my thinking that Crook is more likely to end up being a successful first grader.

Father Ted

First Grade

You're right lets get rid of the money in the game and just have guys play NRL for love .. That will keep the talent in the game .. I mean it's "obvisous".

Minh

First Grade
This Hastings kid may or may not have a big head but could it be that other guys his age are envious could it not. I wonder with the Roosters reportedly chasing Hastings it must be to play fullback because who would they move on Pearce or Maloney in the foreseeable future.

I think Saints would be wise to do all in their power to keep a rare talent like Hastings and even fast track him into First Grade possibly in 2015 and not let him languish and get bored. I can't wait for the new wave of young talent to come through, I hope they stay.

Father Ted

First Grade
This Hastings kid may or may not have a big head but could it be that other guys his age are envious could it not. I wonder with the Roosters reportedly chasing Hastings it must be to play fullback because who would they move on Pearce or Maloney in the foreseeable future.

I think Saints would be wise to do all in their power to keep a rare talent like Hastings and even fast track him into First Grade possibly in 2015 and not let him languish and get bored. I can't wait for the new wave of young talent to come through, I hope they stay.

Well to be fair Possm's original post was a somebody told somebody else story. All it lacked was the conversations which was a little disappointing .
Still if we can reform Wendall and Dugan then a cocky 17 year should not be beyond us..

Steelman

Juniors

There's already moves by the club to add him to the fulltime squad as early as 2014 in a bid to keep him with the dragons long term.

Minh

First Grade
There's already moves by the club to add him to the fulltime squad as early as 2014 in a bid to keep him with the dragons long term.

Thanks for the info that's excellent to hear, I would love to see us rise again and the young players are the future I suppose.

Minh

First Grade
Well to be fair Possm's original post was a somebody told somebody else story. All it lacked was the conversations which was a little disappointing .
Still if we can reform Wendall and Dugan then a cocky 17 year should not be beyond us..

This club has a great culture no doubt in my mind and now having a guy like Wendall around would help.

nrlnrl

First Grade

If they do that, other young players with ability will WANT to stay & that just creates a domino effect. It doesn't mean they will all play NRL when they're 18 or 19, but look at how Souths & Canberra have given exciting players like Dylan Walker & Anthony Milford a chance. Plus the best part for all involved is that the players have retained their natural brilliance with confidence that their spot isn't in jeopardy each week.

Last edited:

supermums

Juniors
Not sure if any of you guys were at the game tonight but from what me and my husband seen Hastings was every bit the team player and let me tell you he won the game for the 20's...As i tell my children you should never repeat a conversation and some of the sad remarks or post's being put on Dragons forum about the kid who would blame hime for leaving....

nrlnrl

First Grade
Not sure if any of you guys were at the game tonight but from what me and my husband seen Hastings was every bit the team player and let me tell you he won the game for the 20's...As i tell my children you should never repeat a conversation and some of the sad remarks or post's being put on Dragons forum about the kid who would blame hime for leaving....

yeah, sadly the negative comments are like mud - they stick. Thanks for the post though.

I think the majority of people on here are sensible enough to distance themselves from those who find faults in anyone or anything because they're digging for them. That's their choice, but I'd prefer to encourage these youngsters to develop & learn, with the Dragons being able to bring out their best as rugby league players & human beings.

TheRev

First Grade
Most of us are actually hoping that the talk isnt completely true and any champion is cocky, we can handle that! We will know more with more press conferences etc over time.

But I think deep down actually were just scared we might lose a potential halves talent.. god knows we are in dire need.

...and if a young man on the top of his game is not entitled to feel the rush that confidence brings him then who?

It is the single most important vital ingredient that every successful sportsman needs in truck-loads in order to succeed at the highest level. If some find that offensive, ask first if you are being a llttle oversensitive, and then trust that older wiser heads (which Dragons have lots of) and mates, will help level it - but please, don't rob him of it.

He can learn all that humble stuff when he's 30.

And yeah, I'm afraid of losing him to a rival club.

possm

Coach

I don't know what is going on here, I did not write this post. Moderators please explain.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Most of us are actually hoping that the talk isnt completely true and any champion is cocky, we can handle that! We will know more with more press conferences etc over time.

But I think deep down actually were just scared we might lose a potential halves talent.. god knows we are in dire need.
I think there is a lot of truth in that sentence Rev. Some people may just want to believe he's a cocky little shit, who puts himself above the team. Just so IF he leaves, it won't hurt as much. and they can justify the club loosing him. People like to set themselves up for the fall, so to speak.

P.s. Good post supermums ; ) I heard Hastings had a big hand in the win last night.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Interesting comment from Danny Weidler in todays paper implying that Jackson Hastings, who played half for the U20's State of Origin was unlikely to stay at Dragons because he can't get a run at halfback, which is his preferrred position. I was unaware that they were so full of talent in the half position in the lower grades. Can someone please let me know what great halfbacks we have in the lower grades to keep this kid out of that position

Minh

First Grade
Interesting comment from Danny Weidler in todays paper implying that Jackson Hastings, who played half for the U20's State of Origin was unlikely to stay at Dragons because he can't get a run at halfback, which is his preferrred position. I was unaware that they were so full of talent in the half position in the lower grades. Can someone please let me know what great halfbacks we have in the lower grades to keep this kid out of that position

This sounds ridiculous if true. I would highly doubt it given he is such a talent and according to an earlier post by Steelman that the club is looking at moving him into FG as early as 2014.

Latest posts