What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW backline 2010

Red Bear

Referee
This might be very early BUT

Hayne
Stewart
Jennings
Lawrence/J Morris
B Morris
Mullen/Baz/Campese/Soward
Kimmorley/Mullen/Pearce

Looking pretty damn good at the moment!

typicalfan

Coach
Only certainties IMO next year is Hayne, Jennings and Gidley possibly on the bench, the rest of the backs are up in the air and probably depends on form and combination at the time.

sando88

Not a Moderator
u cant have hayne and stewart. stewart is not a winger. so leave him out

jennings and lawrence are certainties. along with one of the morris'. forget which is the better one

soward will be 6. if kimmorely is still playing great footy then i have no problems having him in the side again

lifesgood

Juniors
1 Jarryd Hayne
2 Brett Morris
3 Michael Jennings
4 Matt Cooper/Josh Morris
5 Chris Lawrence
6 Mullen/Soward
7 Kimmorley/Mullen

Considering Kurt Gidley was the captain I dont see them dropping him but Hayne without doubt should be the fullback for Australia and New Zealand.
Kimmorley isn't guaranteed, really depends on how he is performing next year, hope he is doing well but, deserves it.

Mullen needs to be there can't believe he wasn't used there this year, Soward deserves it if he can get those defensive mistakes out of his game.

Chris Lawrence should be there either on the wing or in the centres, I think he would of played this year if he wasn't injued. Without doubt.

Either Morris on the wing, Cooper needs to be there cause he has spark in Attack and without doubt will be the only centre capable of stopping Greg Inglis (if his there). Inglis dominates origin more then he does club footy.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Hayne was the best outside back for NSW all series and he did it on the left wing so I would leave him there.

1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. J.Morris
5. B.Morris
6. Soward
7. Mullen

sando88

Not a Moderator
Hayne was the best outside back for NSW all series and he did it on the left wing so I would leave him there.

1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. J.Morris
5. B.Morris
6. Soward
7. Mullen

worst possible side.
hayne hasnt been given real chance at fullback for nsw

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Interesting to see how the handle Stewart and Hayne. You would have to go with Hayne wouldn't you? This guy is having one of the best individual seasons in some time along with Soward who has cooled off a little over the past two weeks.

IMO, Mullen has to be given the 7 jersey for the entire series - no question. Assuming he is fit at selection time. I think he is your best long term option, he just needs to string a season together. Mullen could be anything. Has it all. Just needs to stay healthy.

F### off all the excuses as to why Soward shouldn't get a go, throw him in there. A little bloke by the name of Alfie Langer did ok didn't he? It will be interesting to see how Campese goes from here to selection time. I feel he was made a scapegoat by selectors after game one and should have been given the series.

lifesgood

Juniors
worst possible side.

How about you stop criticising what everyone else's opinion is and state what you think what should be the backline or beat it

Who said your the person who comes on to criticise and say that people are wrong, are you a selector or something

lifesgood

Juniors

1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. J.Morris
5. B.Morris
6. Soward
7. Mullen

It is a fair point, I like that backline will do very good

I think gidley should be put on the bench, but how could they do that to the outstanding captain? I think Hayne can play wing better then any other fullback can thats why he should stay wing maybe.

Stewart has alot of catching up to do to make it back to NSW, Mini struggled to get back to NSW and Australia, Stewart may as well be in the same position.

typicalfan

Coach
worst possible side.
Says the guy that thinks Lawrence is a certainty.

He is a chance but no better than Josh Morris or Timana Tahu.

I think it should be

1. Hayne
2. B Morris
3. J Morris
4. Jennings
5. Tahu
6. Soward/Mullen/Campese
7. Kimmorley

Giving Noddy the 7 allows a young 5/8 to gain experience for the series and learn from one of the better halfbacks in the last 10 years.

1. Stewart/Hayne
2. Hayne/Lawrence
3. Jennings
4. Tahu/Lawrence/J.Morris
5. B. Morris

Halves: any 2 from Soward/Barrett/ Kimmorley/Mullen/Pearce

The uncertain spots will hang on the form of Stewart and Tahu when they return, if Tahu isn't playing well enough it will be Morris or Lawrence in the centres, based on whose in better form at the time. The halves are also wide open.

watatank

Coach
If Carney (assuming he joins) and Pearce start the season well and lift the Roosters next year I wouldn't be against them being the halves pairing

Smith Machine

Juniors
As much as i think gidley is great. If the form of Hayne continues you can't deny him the fullback spot so he can rove the way he does! He is in phenominal form. We also need a centre that can stop Greg Inglis. I think Michael Jennings is superb in attack but defensively he is still weak. I thought that jennings was underutilised in the series he didn't get enough quality ball. I'm still not convinced with Jamie Soward. Majority of his tries have been from mistakes from other sides and he has been in the right place at the right time. I think he is a good club man but not ready for SOO.My side would be

1. Hayne
2. J Morris
3. B Morris
4. C Lawrence/M Jennings
5 T Tahu
6 J Mullen
7 B Kimmorley/M Pearce.

I think Pearce behind a good pack of NSW will do well, he looks like a genuine halfback.

watatank

Coach
It's an interesting topic to think about...what approach should we follow? There's no doubt we have immense talent coming through the ranks but there's question marks over whether they can handle the gun QLD backline.

If we're going to select a team based on talent...It'd look something like this

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Brett Stewart
3. Chris Lawrence
4. Michael Jennings
5. Brett Morris
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce

However considering we'll be up against the likes of Inglis, Folau and Hodges perhaps a "safer" team would be the go

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Brett Stewart
3. Luke Lewis
4. Matt Cooper
5. Timana Tahu
6. Trent Barrett
7. Brett Kimmorley

Talanexor

Juniors
Stewart is a fullback or nothing. Hayne is a better fullback, so Stewart misses out.

1. J Hayne
2. B Morris
3. M Cooper
4. M Jennings
5. Monaghan (because he can counter Folau in the air)
6. J Mullen
7. B Kimmorley

Mullen is there mostly to learn. NSW have a few talented 5/8ths running around, but no Origin-quality halfbacks, except Kimmorley. Mullen is the best halfback option for NSW once Kimmorley retires, so he needs to start his apprenticeship now.

This backline has a good balance of attack, defence, experience and youth.

watatank

Coach
I don't see why Stewart shouldn't be considered for a wing spot. He's easily in the top 5 outside backs in NSW and as such we should be looking for a spot for him even if it is not at fullback. It's not as though we have a plethora of top wingers to draw upon and he's a better player than just about all the wingers that have come through or played recently bar Hayne. He has all the attributes IMO...he's quick, safe under the high ball, a good defender, has great awareness and can score tries. He can roam around, maybe even switch with Hayne from time to time and I think it would pay dividends than having someone

Joker's Wild

Coach
worst possible side.

My god you are a dip-sh*t

The worst possible side would be:

1. Shannon McDonnell
2. David Simmons
3. Ashley Graham
4. Mitchell Aubusson
5. Jamie Simpson
6. Jeff Robson