What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Coastal Travel Advice

Max9

Juniors
Hi everyone, new in these parts. Having done very little travel in NSW and none in any of the coastal regions I was wondering if the locals amongst you can give me a heads up. Wife and two boys under 5 years of age are looking to drive from Victoria to a coastal NSW town in July sometime. Have no idea where to go but need a place with lots to do for two very active kids.....Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
what part of the NSW coast, how far north are you intending to go ?

Max9

Juniors
Sorry mate learning the ropes on replying...Crap. We are leaning toward the northern coast but the drive is a concern with two kids!

The best country racing carnival in Australia is in Grafton during July.

Just drop the kids off up the top of the Clarence river & tell them it's a swimming race to Yamba - go to the Grafton Cup, go to the hospital, pick up the kids & drive to beautiful Yamba.

(if you are a Souths supporter, ring up Uncle Rus, tell him u r related to Chris Sandow, & u get a free chopper ride & accommodation at his place in Nana Glen)

Ultimate holiday package!

Max9

Juniors
Terrific mate, sound advice. Top of the list as it stands...:D Just running it past the minister (for war and finance) as we speak.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
except Grafton isn't on the coast

prolly best to stay in Coffs Harbour and drive to Grafton, about a 35 minute drive, not really much to do in Grafton

Max9

Juniors
Yeah must admit I had looked at the NSW Tourist website and found Coffs Harbour and looked OK, what with the Big Banana and all. Kids'll probably love that. Bit of a shame so many people jet overseas before seeing what we have under our noses. (me included!) Really appreciate the feedback fellas.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
North Coast is where its at, Coffs, Port and Byron, cant go wrong

Grafton is only 45mins from the coast, that's why I said go to Yamba.

Big Banana is overpriced & over-rated, IMO.

Go for a drive through Bellingen or Dorrigo, great waterfalls (if it has rained within the last week).

Off the beaten track a bit more is The Coaching Inn - Nymboida. Owned by Rusty, it has GREAT food! It also has a little museum, with heaps of Rusty memorabilia, including his shield from Gladiator.

If you are into white water rafting, this is the place to do it. Right on the Nymboida river. Accom there is very good too.

Truly worth a look, even if it is a fair drive.

Max9

Juniors
Grafton is only 45mins from the coast, that's why I said go to Yamba.

Big Banana is overpriced & over-rated, IMO.

Go for a drive through Bellingen or Dorrigo, great waterfalls (if it has rained within the last week).

Off the beaten track a bit more is The Coaching Inn - Nymboida. Owned by Rusty, it has GREAT food! It also has a little museum, with heaps of Rusty memorabilia, including his shield from Gladiator.

If you are into white water rafting, this is the place to do it. Right on the Nymboida river. Accom there is very good too.

Truly worth a look, even if it is a fair drive.

That's terrific mate. Getting pumped about the trip!

bazza

Immortal
went to Yamba on the weekend - beautiful spot with plenty of beaches and rivers
Coffs Harbour might have more for the little kids though with other attractions like aquariums, mini golf and that sort of thing if they are likely to get bored of the beach

It took just under 8 hours to drive from Sydney to Yamba - so adding on the extra 12 plus hours from Melbourne I would say it would be a bit of a pain if you or the kids don't like long drives - there is an airport at Coffs Harbour and Ballina so you may want to look at flights and a hire car and see how it compares

Max9

Juniors
went to Yamba on the weekend - beautiful spot with plenty of beaches and rivers
Coffs Harbour might have more for the little kids though with other attractions like aquariums, mini golf and that sort of thing if they are likely to get bored of the beach

It took just under 8 hours to drive from Sydney to Yamba - so adding on the extra 12 plus hours from Melbourne I would say it would be a bit of a pain if you or the kids don't like long drives - there is an airport at Coffs Harbour and Ballina so you may want to look at flights and a hire car and see how it compares

That's real good of you with the advice mate. Very much appreciated. Might break the drive up into two days me thinks.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
max.. you can't go wrong with a nsw coastal trip.. i used to work on the saphire coast and have relatives up on the north coast so have spent about a year of my life up there...

what part of victoria are you from?

at what point are you crossing onto the coastal road? eg are you doing freeway to a certain point or are you hitting the princes / pacific hwy at any point?

Max9

Juniors
max.. you can't go wrong with a nsw coastal trip.. i used to work on the saphire coast and have relatives up on the north coast so have spent about a year of my life up there...

what part of victoria are you from?

at what point are you crossing onto the coastal road? eg are you doing freeway to a certain point or are you hitting the princes / pacific hwy at any point?

haven't got that far yet Muz but am coming from teh southern suburbs of Melbourne. Was initially thinking up the Newell Hwy and cutting in at some point near Dubbo??

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Dubbo itself is worth a look, especially the Western Plains Zoo

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
haven't got that far yet Muz but am coming from teh southern suburbs of Melbourne. Was initially thinking up the Newell Hwy and cutting in at some point near Dubbo??

hmm that can be the long way.. quickest way i've normally found is straight up the hume..

but my recommendation when it comes to coastal areas, if you're after non-touristy areas (eg non overpriced food & accomodation etc) look at the area around nambucca heads on the mid north coast..

30 mins south of coffs harbour...

Nambucca_heads.jpg

family friendly and heaps of things to do..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
if you are worried about the drive and don't choose to go to the north coast, you can't go wrong with somewhere like merimbula..

merimbula%20aerial.jpg

or even anywhere up to batemans bay..

BatemansBay.jpg

it's about an 8 hour drive from melbourne along through gippsland to merimbula (10 hours to Batemans) and may i say that area has the best oysters in australia!

the drive along the coast road from eden to batemans is probably my favourite bit of road.. in particular from merimbula - narooma, if you go off the pacific highway and follow the coast road heading through bermagui, you will spectacular driving and scenery.. (if you do go that way, let me know and i'll send you the exact map..)

Max9

Juniors
hmm that can be the long way.. quickest way i've normally found is straight up the hume..

but my recommendation when it comes to coastal areas, if you're after non-touristy areas (eg non overpriced food & accomodation etc) look at the area around nambucca heads on the mid north coast..

30 mins south of coffs harbour...

family friendly and heaps of things to do..

That place looks great Muz, my missus will love that. Gotta tell ya fellas, very impressed with the assistance. Good mate at work is a Raiders fan and he suggested getting on board this site for the laughs and banter. Glad I did. Cheers. PS had to delete photo coz I'm a pleb on this board. Weird

bazza

Immortal
if you are worried about the drive and don't choose to go to the north coast, you can't go wrong with somewhere like merimbula..

or even anywhere up to batemans bay..

it's about an 8 hour drive from melbourne along through gippsland to merimbula (10 hours to Batemans) and may i say that area has the best oysters in australia!

the drive along the coast road from eden to batemans is probably my favourite bit of road.. in particular from merimbula - narooma, if you go off the pacific highway and follow the coast road heading through bermagui, you will spectacular driving and scenery.. (if you do go that way, let me know and i'll send you the exact map..)

probably a bit cold in July...