What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Cup 2009 season

Calexico

Juniors
hey Mate..how are ya?

just found out that Alf has signed with Mounties for the Bundy cup.

All good here boss ... looking forward to wenty having another cracker season!

Bundy cup .. thats the renamed Beam comp is it? I'm surprised Alfie didn't get a run somewhere in the NSW Cup.

Roland

Juniors
All good here boss ... looking forward to wenty having another cracker season!

Bundy cup .. thats the renamed Beam comp is it? I'm surprised Alfie didn't get a run somewhere in the NSW Cup.

Rugby League Review says that he has joined Wests.

The Wrong Eye

Juniors
Just looking at both websites NSWRL and QRL you can see why NSWRL is in disarray and teams wanting the 2nd tier squads to be associated with Qld Cup.
No info about what teams are in and out for NSWRL comps , news is scarce.
QRL website as gains and losses for all clubs , a story about each club and up to date news.

Quite easily to see who is the more professional outfit.

yappy

Bench
Nick Taylor is a winger. He goes pretty good and will be in the NSW Cup starting line up. Yappy could tell you more.

Very sad to see him go. We tried very hard to hang onto Nick, but he felt he had more chance to progress to the top grade at the Dogs. Scores plenty of tries, does the hard work out of dummy half, and solid in defence.

richies

Juniors
Very sad to see him go. We tried very hard to hang onto Nick, but he felt he had more chance to progress to the top grade at the Dogs. Scores plenty of tries, does the hard work out of dummy half, and solid in defence.

cheers yappy, - we do need some quality wingers
whats he like under the high ball?

remember stan from the dogs
played prop a few times but, mostly wing but couldnt catch for the life of him

Last edited:

yappy

Bench
I don't think we'll bother testing him out too much when we play you. Probably better targets for bombing raids.

girvie

Staff member
A new board of management has been formed to help promote the NSW Cup and raise it's profile. The board will be chaired by Bob Millward and will include Geoff Carr (NSWRL), Chris Bowden (NSWRL), Robert Lowrie (CRL), Shane Richardson (South Sydney), Terry Rowney (Newtown) and Bradley Clyde (Canterbury).

Bankstown City Bulls have replaced the Bulldogs for 2009.
Yes they are Sydney Bulls with a name change.

yappy

Bench
That didn't last long did it Girvs. Terry would have to step down (at least until his tilt at the top job is sorted), and Clyde just got the big A from the Dogs.

It's an improvement on previously but what a joke. The clubs are outnumbered by three NSWRL appointees (the same mob who have failed to promote this grade for a decade whilst they pump all their energies into a glorified A grade comp), a CRL appointee and wtf has any NRL club got to do with our comp? What odds the club's desires for this comp come a long way behind other agendas?

girvie

Staff member
That didn't last long did it Girvs. Terry would have to step down (at least until his tilt at the top job is sorted), and Clyde just got the big A from the Dogs.

It's an improvement on previously but what a joke. The clubs are outnumbered by three NSWRL appointees (the same mob who have failed to promote this grade for a decade whilst they pump all their energies into a glorified A grade comp), a CRL appointee and wtf has any NRL club got to do with our comp? What odds the club's desires for this comp come a long way behind other agendas?

Let's give it a chance. Even if Terry Rowney is not a director of Newtown I think he could still be a part of this board as a representative of the club.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Am I correct now in saying there is no single club with an identical NRL counterpart in NSW Cup? Is it Cronulla Sutherland Cobras or Cronulla Sutherland Sharks?

girvie

Staff member
Am I correct now in saying there is no single club with an identical NRL counterpart in NSW Cup? Is it Cronulla Sutherland Cobras or Cronulla Sutherland Sharks?
They are the Sharks again in 2009.

Spitty

Juniors
I think the further the NSW Cup teams move away from NRL identities the better. Have a feeding agreement is great, but for the comp to be successful it really needs these teams to hold there own identity and stand alone. It needs to be a gradual shift like what is being done now through Mergers and half identities, but I think the long term plan should be for the teams to be stand alone in a stand alone comp.

yakstorm

First Grade
From the Bulldogs site today:

On behalf of the Sydney Bulls, Bulldogs and Bankstown Sports Club we are pleased to announce the formation of the Bankstown City Bulls- who will compete in the 2009 NSWRL State Cup Competition.

This joint venture club will play in the established strip of the Sydney Bulls featuring a commemorative 10th Anniversary Bulls logo. The Bulldogs insignia will feature on either shoulder of this jersey alongside the numerous sponsors who have already committed to the new partnership. The design will centre around Major Sponsor, the Crest's Handle Bar Hotel (subsidiary of the Bankstown Sports Club,), who continue to be great supporters of both Rugby League entities over the course of many years.

Bankstown Sports Club CEO, John MacKay, has been instrumental in bringing the three clubs together with the aim of securing the competitiveness of his district's most high-profile sport, Rugby League.

"We [BSC] have a long and proud history of supporting rugby league at all levels… I am delighted to confirm our club as primary sponsors of this historic joint venture arrangement between the Handle bar's own Bankstown City Bulls and the famed Canterbury Bulldogs.

"I am confident that this exciting new chapter will enhance the development of Rugby League throughout south west Sydney, one of the great nurseries of our game. Congratulations from our Board of Directors to both clubs and their CEO’s for having the vision and energy to secure a deal that puts "Bankstown back into the Bulldogs"

Bulldogs CEO Mr Todd Greenberg said "The Bulldogs are extremely excited to further develop the existing relationship with the Bulls and Bankstown Sports Club,"

"In the current economic environment we need to be prudent with our expenditure across every sector. With the generous support of Bankstown Sports Club this agreement will assist in addressing those key elements".

Bulldogs Legend Terry Lamb has been appointed as the inaugural coach with all parties agreeing he is the perfect fit for the new entity.

"We strongly believe this agreement is mutually beneficial for everyone involved and we look forward to seeing the players running out in the new Bankstown City Bulls jersey" said Lamb.

"This agreement secures the future for all players in the district which I personally believe is extremely important."

The Bulls will also field a strong side in the new Bundy Shield Competition, under the guidance of five- time (consecutive) Grand Final coach, David Bayssari.

Bulls CEO and co-founder David Francis was quick to acknowledge all the volunteers and staff over the past decade who have contributed so much to the success of the Sydney Bulls club.

"It's a great day for grass roots clubs like the Bulls. Our organisation started from an idea amongst a few mates. Thankfully we've also had the Bankstown Sports Club by our side throughout the journey. It is also the legacy of dedicated people with unbelievable enthusiasm and a hopeless love of footie, thanks to them, we’ve been recognised by a great club like the Bulldogs as an organisation they can work with. The entire club should be rightfully proud."

nqcowboy87

Bench
Quote:
Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers

Gains:
Blake Ayshford – Wests NYC
Matt Davidson – Wests NYC
Charlie Herekotukutuku – North Sydney
Blake Lazarus – Wests NYC
Josh Lewis – Gold Coast
Tim Moltzen – Wests NYC
i though that tapu rea (eels nyc player) had been signed by balmain
yep hes going to balmain, spoke to him last night and he said he was at wests tigers now, i reckon if you have injury in the centres he wou,d be a handy replacement

girvie

Staff member
Cronulla Sharks

Gains:
Nua Alone - Western Suburbs
Tyler Aitken - Campbelltown JBC
Aidan Howard - Howick, NZ
Phillip Latu - Howick, NZ
Jonathon Tavinor – Erina JBC
Trent Trotter – Souths NYC
Ryan Verlinden – North Sydney

Losses:
Dustin Cooper - Redcliffe
Sam Moa - Hull
Paul Stephenson - Ipswich
Eddie Sua - Mounties JBC
Stan Tuionuku - Rugby Union

Retained:
Karlos Filiga, Grant Millington, Terrence Seu Seu.

Does anyone know which players Cronulla have retained from last year?

Players like Travis Robinson, Filinga Filiga, Harry Berryman, Warren Dixon, James Storer, Tinetali Papalii, Anthony Killingbeck, Dean Peters, Leonard Ropeta, Nigel Millgate, Brackin Henry, Atelea Vea and Eddie Leuleai ???