What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nsw cup. A mickey mouse comp.

It`s my opinion that the NSW cup comp is a joke. The NRL must provide and fund a strong reserve grade comp if they are to continue with a under 20`s comp. Most players are not up to NRL level when they finish there under 20`s career and these players need a stronger reserve grade comp to get them ready for NRL.

NSW cup has 11 teams with a top 8 finals series.

Balmain finished 8th and played a semi final yesterday after winning only 6 from 22 games this year.

3 teams (canterbury, norths and balmain) had 3 byes each earning them 6 points. The other 8 teams only had 2 byes earning them 4 points.

Wests finished 9th, 1 point out of the 8, but they won 1 more game than Balmain who finished 8th. So Balmain made the top 8 only because they had 3 byes and Wests had 2 byes.

nqcowboy87

Bench
yeh also the fact that cronulla and melbourne share the same reserve grade side, the qcup unfortueantly is a far superior competiton

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They've tried to strengthen the NSW Cup by forcing NSW clubs to play their reserves in that competition but it's still a f**king joke.

Hopefully the independent commission will see a return to a proper reserve grade comp.

That said, plenty of European football (soccer) competitions - where there's a lot more money than in the NRL - lack a reserve grade comp (i.e. for the top clubs to field reserve grade sides).

From memory only England and Holland have proper reserve grade competitions, with Spanish, German and French 'first grade' clubs fielding reserve teams in lower tier competitions. Italian clubs only have an under 20s competition with 2 (I think) over-age players allowed.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Having a top 8 in an 11 team comp is a joke, but they want a top 8 to coincide with the NRL finals so that on GF day they play the NSW Cup Grand Final.

Ive seen about 6 NSW Cup games, the quality of matches isnt great but IMO its a lot of tougher and more exciting than a Toyota Cup game.

Next year I hope to see all NSW Teams field Reserve Grade sides and hopefully with the IC we will see a proper Reserve Grade competition, like before 2008.

Tony Bongo

Bench
A. Having 3 teams that get 3 byes and 6 points and 8 teams that get 2 byes and 4 points is not a fair competition, even if it's the luck of the draw.:crazy:
B. Having 8 teams allowed to play in the finals when there are 11 teams is not fair because 3 teams miss out. :crazy:
C. Having a NSW competition where no one gets to beat QLD is clearly unfair ( unless we make the QLD teams the three teams that only get 2 byes and miss out on the finals every year) :crazy:

Tony Bongo

Bench
the qrl is a great organisation

An interesting point to note is that the QLD Cup have no byes which means that every team plays every week. If it was the NSW comp they would probably still manage to give a couple of bonus points to at least 3 teams to make it fair. :sarcasm:

The 3 Byes, 2 Byes thing is a product of the Dragons withdrawing from the competition at late notice.

Having said that, the NSW cup is an expensive thing to run for the clubs involved. We are very lucky that we have partnered with a very good club financially and setup wise so that we can continue to develop players through Wentworthville.

It costs back in the 2008 season about half a million dollars to run a NSW cup side, in terms of players staff and gear. Wenty kick in half of that or more for us which is the equivalent of a sleeve sponsor on the NRL kit.

Next year, I believe Saints, and Canberra have to field teams in the NSW Cup, which should strengthen the competition and allow for a 24 week (with 2 split rounds) competition

Canberra have joined with Mounties to have Mounties play for them in the NSW Cup devision. The Sharks were trying to do that with Cabara, 2 blues, which is also in the Parramatta District, but we held on a little tighter to them.

This year also the Sharks were a Sharks / Storm joint venture.

The fix to make it better, is throw more money at it. Indeed at NRL level, set the Salary cap to be the top 35 players, then fund the cap plus more and that will generate a better NSWcup.

Some have said we need to play it on the same bill as NRL, and that is a perfectly valid opinion, however remember Wenty kick in half of the funds for that side, I think they want to get something out of it other then having their names and colours run around in front of the Punters as they turn up at Parramatta stadium.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Not to mention the fact that Parra dont actually have a reserve grade anymore.

Tony Bongo

Bench
Thanks for clearing that up Mark. I hope one day we see a return back to a Reserve Grade comp though.

Parraletic

Juniors
I agree with Mark, but the NSWRL & the NRL need to be stronger with clubs to ensure this vitally important competition thrives & not just survive. And having Canberra use Mounties for there NSW Cup side is a joke, we should not be letting this happen!

Eels Dude

Coach
I agree with Mark, but the NSWRL & the NRL need to be stronger with clubs to ensure this vitally important competition thrives & not just survive. And having Canberra use Mounties for there NSW Cup side is a joke, we should not be letting this happen!

You cannot have it both ways.

If you want the NSW Cup to improve then you have to let sides like Canberra align themselves with a club they can make an arrangement with.

Tony Bongo

Bench
You cannot have it both ways.

If you want the NSW Cup to improve then you have to let sides like Canberra align themselves with a club they can make an arrangement with.

Why not use Cronulla as their NSW cup team ?
There will never be a really strong reserve grade comp anyway with half of them playing in QLD and the other half in NSW.

Eels Dude

Coach
Why not use Cronulla as their NSW cup team ?
There will never be a really strong reserve grade comp anyway with half of them playing in QLD and the other half in NSW.

How would that work any better for them? The point is if you want to improve the NSW Cup you shouldn't be restricting which NRL sides link with which feeder sides.