What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW cup side

Footin mouth

Juniors
I agree Mantelato was the Knights best, but where did Balmain score their tries? 3 down newcastles RH edge which included Stig and Likiliki. Stig missed 3 tackles which led to 3 tries so as far as saying he played well, he was far from it with him getting hooked with 10 to go, he came back on at the death at hooker and did not threaten with the ball once. He was poor at best. Tyrone played rusty but AJ davis gave them the spark at the end that could have snatched the game from Balmain. I think they were very guilty of looking at the points table before they ran out, they have never been in that position before.
Adams had a crook neck and Schillings stood down.

I agree that Mantellato was the knights best on the day, the one thing with this kid is that he plays with his heart on his sleeve. My other best on the day was Tui, he played very well. Not to worry, Manly next week and how I'd like to see us beat the eagles.

billy2

Juniors
Mantellato and Tui were my best too.

I actually think Davis and Briggs would have won us that game. They are not too far behind Stig and Roberts talent wise, and are obviously a lot fitter right now.

billy2

Juniors
1. Kevin Naiqama
2. Josh Mantellato
3. Michael Mate
4. Siuatonga Likiliki
5. Peter Mata’utia
6. Ryan Stig
7. Tyrone Roberts
8. Evarn Tuimavave
9.Mitch Williams
10. Kyle O’Donnell
11. Ethan Cook
12. Marvin Filipo
13. Robbie Rochow
Interchange:
14. Adrian Davis
15. Warren Schillings
16. Shaun Boss
17. Rodney Mason

On paper it's the strongest backline of the year and the forwards are only missing Tets, but my feeling is that Stig, Roberts and Mata'utia all need time on the field and don't add as much as Davis, Briggs and Phillips have been delivering.

The Manly hooker is Liam Higgins, a local junior who played Mathews and Ball alongside Mata'utia, Cook etc. I think the Knights coaches should take a good look at Liam to see if he could be our firstgrade ready hooker we need for next season.

Frederick

Staff member
the manly hooker is liam higgins, a local junior who played mathews and ball alongside mata'utia, cook etc. I think the knights coaches should take a good look at liam to see if he could be our firstgrade ready hooker we need for next season.
:roll: :BDH:

billy2

Juniors
It's about time you got with the programme Frederick.

Bennett has won premiership after premiership with sides made up of nearly all local players. He is fully aware that players who are playing for more than money deliver in the big games. He used locals where he could at the Broncos and at Saints, and the first thing he did here was bring back as many locals as he could.

We are going with locals in Mathews, Ball and NYC and we are looking at any locals who are the right fit for firstgrade. Higgins is a guy who we could get cheap who has played a bit of firstgrade and a lot of NSW cup and is pretty young. He is worth a look.

Bennett wants to go local.
Tinkler wants to go loacal.
Most fans want to go local.
That's because our two premiership winning sides were mostly local, and 4 out of 5 sides that have won over the last 20 years have had a very local flavour.

ballbag

Juniors

Bennett has won premiership after premiership with sides made up of nearly all local players. He is fully aware that players who are playing for more than money deliver in the big games. He used locals where he could at the Broncos and at Saints, and the first thing he did here was bring back as many locals as he could.

We are going with locals in Mathews, Ball and NYC and we are looking at any locals who are the right fit for firstgrade. Higgins is a guy who we could get cheap who has played a bit of firstgrade and a lot of NSW cup and is pretty young. He is worth a look.

Bennett wants to go local.

Tinkler wants to go loacal.
Most fans want to go local.
That's because our two premiership winning sides were mostly local, and 4 out of 5 sides that have won over the last 20 years have had a very local flavour.
Bennetts premiership winning teams in Brisbane had mainly locals from QLD, not Brisbane - their player pool was much bigger before NRL clubs started to link with Qld Cup clubs.
Locals in Matts are going OK, locals in Ball are struggling big time and locals in NYC are killing it.
Higgins is still at Manly because Seu Seu isnt, I dont no whether he has played first grade or not but his father is now tied up at Port Stephens Sharks which would indicate to me that this might be his last year in Sydney then back home to the Sharks.

Last edited:

Footin mouth

Juniors
Very strong squad on paper, hopefully they will put it all together on Saturday. Does anyone know the whereabouts of Laurie?.

Yosh

Coach

His players weren't really local... He basically had the whole of QLD to choose from. It was like the Brisbane Queensland Maroons Broncos.

billy2

Juniors
His players weren't really local... He basically had the whole of QLD to choose from. It was like the Brisbane Queensland Maroons Broncos.
They were playing for the side their friends, family and community supported. That's why they play better in grandfinals - just like our sides in 97 and '01.
Dozens of sides have tried to 'buy' a premiership with the best mercenaries they could buy - 9 out of 10 fail. Ask Brian Smith.

Yosh

Coach
They were playing for the side their friends, family and community supported. That's why they play better in grandfinals - just like our sides in 97 and '01.
Dozens of sides have tried to 'buy' a premiership with the best mercenaries they could buy - 9 out of 10 fail. Ask Brian Smith.

My local soccer team (MDU) was made up of my friends and i whose families had known each other for decades. We had no professional experience or coaching but passion, love of our jersey (which we got for cheap imported from South Korea) and most importantly great support from our mums and girlfriends. Thanks to the great family support we went on to win the fifa world cup last year.

True story i swear.

The Broncos had the best player, best coach and had money coming into the club from their sugar daddy. That's why they won it.

billy2

Juniors
My local soccer team (MDU) was made up of my friends and i whose families had known each other for decades. We had no professional experience or coaching but passion, love of our jersey (which we got for cheap imported from South Korea) and most importantly great support from our mums and girlfriends. Thanks to the great family support we went on to win the fifa world cup last year.

True story i swear.

The Broncos had the best player, best coach and had money coming into the club from their sugar daddy. That's why they won it.
You are clearly unable to think in the abstract, which isn't the impression i've had of you in the past - or maybe you have just caught the forum disease of pretending to be too stupid to to follow a concept.

perverse

Referee
everyone wants to go local, but you take it to extremes, billy. you scrape the bottom of the barrel in order to try and make every single member of our squad a local. there should be (and now, are) a core group of locals, filled in with talent from outside in positions in which we don't have strong locals.

just because they are local doesn't mean they have to be playing for the Knights. for starters, we just can't fit them all. being born in Newcastle does not give you a fast track to our first grade team... and it only gives you preferential treatment when all other things (particularly talent) are equal, or near enough to equal. i don't care how much locals want to win, if they don't have the ability to win in the first place, they arn't going to. this is professional sports, not the mighty ducks.

if we're going to bring a hooker in that isn't already at the club, we will be asking the best available first. i doubt Liam Higgins is even on the radar, and if he isn't, it doesn't mean that Bennett or Tinkler are telling porky pies with their locals policy. it means there are better options, and we should be looking for excellence first. they are putting things in place at the moment so that we will be developing that excellence on our own turf on a more consistent basis. by then, the argument should be well and truly moot.

Last edited:

billy2

Juniors
everyone wants to go local, but you take it to extremes, billy. you scrape the bottom of the barrel in order to try and make every single member of our squad a local. there should be (and now, are) a core group of locals, filled in with talent from outside in positions in which we don't have strong locals.

just because they are local doesn't mean they have to be playing for the Knights. for starters, we just can't fit them all. being born in Newcastle does not give you a fast track to our first grade team... and it only gives you preferential treatment when all other things (particularly talent) are equal, or near enough to equal. i don't care how much locals want to win, if they don't have the ability to win in the first place, they arn't going to. this is professional sports, not the mighty ducks.

if we're going to bring a hooker in that isn't already at the club, we will be asking the best available first. i doubt Liam Higgins is even on the radar, and if he isn't, it doesn't mean that Bennett or Tinkler are telling porky pies with their locals policy. it means there are better options, and we should be looking for excellence first. they are putting things in place at the moment so that we will be developing that excellence on our own turf on a more consistent basis. by then, the argument should be well and truly moot.
You guys have built up a strawman argument and convinced yourselves.
Quite frankly, i just think less of you all for it.
I put forward the case for local players because the majority of you don't take the time to watch them and don't have any idea how good they are.
I'm fully aware many won't make firstgrade. Only about 1 in 50 does.
I am also aware that 'bred not bought' sides outperform other sides and that all our success in the past has come from sides that are mostly local.

Higgins is a NSW rep, has been in the NYC team of the year selection and was preferred over Terrence Seuseu most of last year - and is 21 and improving. He will probably play some firstgrade this year if injuries happen.
We could pick up the Raymond Terrace junior for next to nothing and he is much better and younger than Adams and Mitch Williams. He is worth a look this week.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Roops I was just having a go at ya, nothing serious.

As I mentioned in a different post somewhere, I really think it's great that you love the local teams and your posts are so informative and perhaps of the bigger reasons why I come to this forum. HOWEVER, sometimes you take it just that one step too far. Sure we'd all love to see 17 boys born in Newcastle Severnce Hospital turn up on Grand Final day and win it for the town, but that isn't gonna happen. It's just not realistic in the modern era. I would love to be proven wrong though...

Footin mouth

Juniors
Interesting match up this weekend, Mantellato is up against his Italian team mates Nasso and Falcone from Manly. Bring it on.

Frederick

Staff member
Quite frankly, i just think less of you all for it.
I don't know about anyone else on here but ive just lost all reason to live. What's the point of living if roopbilly doesn't think much of me? Sure I've got a good career and beautiful fiancé, but what's the point of it all if some random person on the internet doesn't think much of me? I may as well end it all now.

Billroopy, I'm sorry I couldn't be everything you wanted me to be.

Goodbye, cruel world!!!

Ps, Liam Higgins is shit

Latest posts