What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW cup side

billy2

Juniors
Tries: E Cook 3, K Naiqama, J Sau, S Likiliki, M Mate, Z Tetevano
Conversions: J Mantellato 5

billy2

Juniors
The two teams above us, Cronulla and Windsor, both lost.
We are the top of the table after round 3.

Footin mouth

Juniors
Great result for our NSw cup side. I can't help thinking that there is something going on with Dane Laurie. For the past three games I have not seen him at the games. Can anyone confirm or deny.

stimpy

Juniors
Saw the game and although they didn't play brilliantly they still won easily. Stig came on and look great. Kyle O'Donnel was good. our right side winger was unmarked most of the game but we still could not get him the ball through a back line movement. The second rowers need to learn that they are decoy runners in the backline and don't need to receive the ball every time. Especially num 11. Kevin was dangerous and mate made plenty of Metres and hitups. Sau however was disappointing with poor handling and minimal impact.

Footin mouth

Juniors
Saw the game and although they didn't play brilliantly they still won easily. Stig came on and look great. Kyle O'Donnel was good. our right side winger was unmarked most of the game but we still could not get him the ball through a back line movement. The second rowers need to learn that they are decoy runners in the backline and don't need to receive the ball every time. Especially num 11. Kevin was dangerous and mate made plenty of Metres and hitups. Sau however was disappointing with poor handling and minimal impact.

I totally agree with your analysis of the game.

billy2

Juniors
Ethan Cook (number 11) should be grabbing his chances with the ball.
He has been our most promising junior for 3 or 4 years and has slipped off the radar a bit.
He is playing for his future and needs to show what he can do.

billy2

Juniors
Interesting that the score was 12-12 when Stig went on after 30 minutes and 42-18 at the finish.
A fit Stig tore up the NSW cup at the start of last year. He is a mile above this grade.

stimpy

Juniors
well stig was better than the existing halves but i wouldnt exactly say he cut it up on sat. The tries were more due to poor defence from wentworthville rather then brilliance from our halves.

billy2

Juniors
NSW Cup Round 4: Newcastle Knights v Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers
4.00pm, Saturday March 24
Cessnock Sports Ground
1. Kevin Naiqama
2. Josh Mantellato
3. Michael Mate
24. Siuatonga Likiliki
5. Daniel Phillips
6. Ryan Stig
7. Adrian Davis
25. Evarn Tuimavave
9. Chris Adams
10. Kyle O'Donnell
11. Ethan Cook
12. Marvin Filipo
13. Robbie Rochow
Interchange
14. Mitch Williams
15. Warren Schillings
16. Shaun Boss
17. Rodney Mason
18. Scott Briggs

Strong side. Briggs and Davis played together a few years ago in our NYC side, but they are both much better players now. I'd have Stig in 7 and Davis in 6, but i suspect they'll play that way whatever the numbers say.

Would be good to see Laurie on that bench.

Balmain have lost 3 games against weaker sides than us. We should put 50 on them.

Last edited:

billy2

Juniors
ervan in the 25 jersey explains a lot - couldn't work out who the 25 was in the clip last week.

stimpy

Juniors
Sau was 23 and Mate was 5 on the wing outside likiliki. Likiliki is strong just i think needs to use the wingers more. Notice the second try to the knights, it is a backline movement from right to left and likiliki dummies to an ummarked winger and goes himself and run into 3 defenders. he still scores however using the outside support play is the better option. Would have looked silly if he got held up.

billy2

Juniors
Sau was 23 and Mate was 5 on the wing outside likiliki. Likiliki is strong just i think needs to use the wingers more. Notice the second try to the knights, it is a backline movement from right to left and likiliki dummies to an ummarked winger and goes himself and run into 3 defenders. he still scores however using the outside support play is the better option. Would have looked silly if he got held up.
Forgot Sau was playing - i was thinking that Mate was a lot stronger player than I thought.
On those highlights you'd say Likiliki outplayed Sau, but you can't really tell from highlights.

Footin mouth

Juniors
Forgot Sau was playing - i was thinking that Mate was a lot stronger player than I thought.
On those highlights you'd say Likiliki outplayed Sau, but you can't really tell from highlights.

Saw the game Billy and I think Likiliki was by far better than Sau.

The Joker

Juniors
gee with a centre pairing of Lilkiliki and Sau, it's a wonder the wingers got a touch on the ball all game

billy2

Juniors
gee with a centre pairing of Lilkiliki and Sau, it's a wonder the wingers got a touch on the ball all game
If you look at previous games, Mantellato has been getting some good passes from Likiliki. He is a powerful runner and likes to have a crack himself, but he was part of the Warriors side that loved to throw the ball around as well, and he will pass if it's obviously the best option usually.
My big issue with Likiliki is his low work rate, but that seems to be improving by the game.

stimpy

Juniors
Saw the game Billy and I think Likiliki was by far better than Sau.

Yeah foot in mouth i saw the game as well. Sau had about 5 hitups, dropped the ball twice and was driven backwards in most others. Mate and Likiliki looked far stronger and made at least 10 metres each hit up.I guess sau deserves to be given chances to prove himself in 1st grade again, but he is fast using up those chances in my opinion.

Latest posts