What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW cup side

billy2

Juniors
We have a lot of options at centre now.

Probably in order

Tahu
Wes
Sau
McKinnon
Likiliki
Matautia
Filipo

billy2

Juniors
Looking at that footage again - bit hard to tell what position Rodney Mason (17) was playing, but Jeez he looks like Willie now.
Wish they had given him the ball a few times to see how hard he is running now.

billy2

Juniors
The League Unlimited preview (see sidebar)

Newcastle Knights Vs Balmain Ryde-Eastwood Tigers
Cessnock Sports Ground, Saturday, March 24
Kick-off: 4.00pm
Referee: Matt Noyen
Broadcast: www.nswrl.com.au's Weekend Game-Cast

Summary: The Knights dream start to the season continued last week with a convincing win against Wentworthville at Kurri Kurri, meanwhile things were not quite as good for the Tigers as they continued their poor start to 2012 with another home loss, this time at the hands of the Cutters. Unfortunately for Tigers fans their winless start to 2012 is merely a continuation of what occurred at the back end of 2011. The Tigers have now not won a match since their Round 14 victory last season against the Western Suburbs Magpies. During this horrid run, the Tigers have had two draws and some close losses but no wins. The Knights have no such worries at present as it is all systems go up in the Hunter, and they will have further reason to be excited after Ryan Stig returned from injury last weekend. Kevin Naiqama's form at fullback has been exemplary in the early rounds and young gun, Kyle O'Donnell, played his best game for the Knights last week.

Talking Point: All we know is, he's called ‘The Stig' – The man known simply as ‘The Stig' made a welcome return to football last weekend through the VB NSW Cup. He played almost half a match and showed some good signs off the bench and has found himself in the starting side this week. Some people say that he once wrestled a rabid mongoose with both of his hands tied behind his back... All we know is... we call him ‘The Stig'.

Prediction: An unbeaten start to the season should continue for the home side. Knights by 14.

Interesting thing about that article is they say O'Donnell had his best game for the Knights last week. The move to prop might be working. Mind you, he hadn't set that bar too high over the past year.

billy2

Juniors
Lost 25-24.

The most interesting point for most people will be that both Roberts and Stig played.
Stig had a fairly good game while Roberts looked off the pace.

Lot's of players rested I think. Kev, Adams, Schillings and Boss all out.
team was

Mantellato - quality game - has some great skills - kick offs could bring rain.
McKenzie???? - never heard of him - ordinary game
Likiliki - two individual tries with pure strength and some good runs
Mate - didn't do much
Phillips - scored a good try but let a few in
Stig - lots of variety and good touches
Roberts - defence was solid - off the pace in his playmaking
Tui - best forward on the park
Williams - played all but 10 minutes and went really well - run over in defence a couple of times
O'Donnell - bombed a try but otherwise went well - ran down a winger in defence
Cook - quality game
Filipo - rocks and diamonds - looked our most dangerous attacking player when he didn't drop the ball
Rochow - decent game - knocked out in a tackle near the end

Mason - pretty ordinary
Sawene - has lost about 10kg and looks a much better player for it - big improver but still a bit below this level
Wade - played prop and had a decent game - by far the best i've seen from him - slightly better than Sawene and might get a start on merit when rip decides to use the top squad
AJ Davis - didn't get much game time but looked sharper than Roberts.

Roberts played 80 minutes, Stig went off with 10 to go.

Footin mouth

Juniors
Lost 25-24.

The most interesting point for most people will be that both Roberts and Stig played.

team was

Mate - didn't do much
Williams - played all but 10 minutes and went really well - run over in defence a couple of times
Cook - quality game
Filipo - rocks and diamonds - looked our most dangerous attacking player when he didn't drop the ball

Mason - pretty ordinary
Sawene - has lost about 10kg and looks a much better player for it - big improver but still a bit below this level
Wade - played prop and had a decent game - by far the best i've seen from him - slightly better than Sawene and might get a start on merit when rip decides to use the top squad

Billy, I have to say that your summary is spot on.

rabble

Juniors
Hey, I thought the only time the team seemed to have any spark was when Davis was on the field. Fair enough, Stig and Roberts only just coming back. Stig missed a bunch of tackles. Roberts was good in DEF, he and Cooke did well down they're side in attack.
Think there's a conspiracy with Kev, reckon he'll play !sts. Boyd might go to 5/8. I don't think he's a 5/8 but you never know.
Missing Kev and the regular halves was the biggest problem for the Cup side today.

rabble

Juniors
Uate? Succumbed to injury huh? He goes well at FB.Does'nt get enough work on the wing. Kev that is.

stimpy

Juniors
From where I was sitting the fullback was by far our best player. On two occasions likilki missed simple One on one tackles that led directly to tries. Filipo stifles the backline as he stands inside the centre and refuses to pass the ball to his outside backs. On 3 occasions they had an overlap with the winger set to score only to have Filipo refuse to pass it. The one time the number 3 got the ball he busted thru and offloaded to the winger for a try.

ballbag

Juniors
I agree Mantelato was the Knights best, but where did Balmain score their tries? 3 down newcastles RH edge which included Stig and Likiliki. Stig missed 3 tackles which led to 3 tries so as far as saying he played well, he was far from it with him getting hooked with 10 to go, he came back on at the death at hooker and did not threaten with the ball once. He was poor at best. Tyrone played rusty but AJ davis gave them the spark at the end that could have snatched the game from Balmain. I think they were very guilty of looking at the points table before they ran out, they have never been in that position before.
Adams had a crook neck and Schillings stood down.

Spot On

Coach
Lost 25-24.

team was

Mate - didn't do much
Cook - quality game

Mason - pretty ordinary

What is it that WB isn't impressed with or rates with Tui?? Anyone have info there? He is NRL standard isn't he?

Whats Doing

Bench
What is it that WB isn't impressed with or rates with Tui?? Anyone have info there? He is NRL standard isn't he?

Well it depends whether you are talking about Parramatta NRL standard which he would be or winning the premiership which he wouldn't be.:)

Spot On

Coach
Well it depends whether you are talking about Parramatta NRL standard which he would be or winning the premiership which he wouldn't be.:)

Yeah but elaborate. I'm not seeing it. Why isn't he getting a run in NRL? Sure he's not the first cab off the rank but surely he's a good enough "depth" proposition?

Latest posts