What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW cup trialists/ Nelson's Bay trial

billy2

Juniors
<H1>Knights trialist gets Votu of confidence
BY BRETT KEEBLE
04 Feb, 2012 04:00 AM
FIJI World Sevens rugby union captain Watisoni Votu made the most of his chances by scoring a try for the Knights in their 32-0 victory over the Newcastle Rugby League representative side in a pre-season trial at Tomaree last night.
The 26-year-old winger and his 20-year-old countryman, Simione Sawene, arrived in Newcastle two weeks ago to trial for contracts with the club's NSW Cup squad.
Votu, who captained Fiji at the World Sevens in Dubai in December, started on the left wing last night and played the first two quarters.
The powerfully built finisher, who was given a hero's farewell at Nadi Airport when he left Fiji for Newcastle a fortnight ago, scored the Knights' second try last night when he received a pass from centre Marvin Filipo and touched down out wide just before quarter-time.
Sawene, who has been based in Brisbane playing club rugby and represented Fiji at the IRB World Junior Championship in Italy in June last year, came off the bench to play in the front row.
Knights football operations manager Warren Smiles said the club's recruitment manager, Peter Mulholland, had been tracking the progress of both players for some time.
Assistant coach Rick Stone, who was in charge last night because Wayne Bennett is on All Stars duty on the Gold Coast, said Votu and Sawene were works in progress.
&#8216;&#8216;Votu has got a bit of a profile in Fiji, and he's a bloke Pete has seen playing sevens. He's got a bit of ability and he's got a bit to learn,&#8217;&#8217; Stone said.
&#8216;&#8216;There were some really good things he did, and there were some things you probably cringe a little bit about, but overall his attitude and his work ethic were good.
&#8216;&#8216;He hasn't been here that long, and we're still working on his positional play and his understanding of the game and what he needs to do, but he's more than willing.&#8217;&#8217;
Smiles said the Knights were likely to make a decision on the future of Votu and Sawene after they play for the Knights in another NSW Cup trial against Windsor at Peacock Field, Toronto, tomorrow week.
Playing with a combination of fringe first-graders and NSW Cup players, and a group of Newcastle Rugby League players who have trained with the club during summer, the Knights ran in eight tries to nil against an NRL rep squad that included former Knights Riley Brown, Terence Seu Seu and Sam Wooden.
Former Wests Tigers and Penrith prop Daine Laurie played the second and fourth quarters for the Knights and made several damaging runs, often taking three defenders to stop him.
Laurie set up a try two minutes before half-time with a strong charge and an unlikely grubber kick, which he regathered and off-loaded to centre Tonga Likiliki.
As is often the case in trial games, the Knights did not take conversion attempts.
They led 8-0 at quarter-time, 12-0 at half-time, and 20-0 after three quarters. The Knights&#8217; National Youth Cup (under-20) squad scored nine tries to six to defeat host club Port Stephens Sharks in the curtain-raiser last night.
</H1>http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...s-votu-of-confidence/2443573.aspx?storypage=0

As I said earlier, Votu is the real deal. He has great football instincts and was right where he should have been on every play. Kev made a few good runs, and each time Votu was right with him looking for the ball. He is a big, strong, fast and instinctive footballer. Didn't see him tested in defence, but a guy his size and with his speed can't be completely hopeless.
It's a worry that these boys have only been with us a few weeks - they should have been given a whole off season.

billy2

Juniors
26 years old guy who isn't even a leaguey and you guys are chasing him, stick to Uate and Jimmy.
One of the best Union 7s players in the world, who, because he comes from a third world country, will switch for a tiny second tier contract.
Union 7s players are more suited to League than XIVs players, and this guy is better than anyone in Australia at 7s. We can sign him for literally a 1/10 of what Quade Cooper would cost, and he is a similar talent.

He played well in a trial running over locals and a couple of ex fringe NRL players, getting him up to speed would take 2-3 years atleast.

Stick with your juniors.

Sounds like another spiteri all over again.

billy2

Juniors
He played well in a trial running over locals and a couple of ex fringe NRL players, getting him up to speed would take 2-3 years atleast.

Stick with your juniors.

Sounds like another spiteri all over again.
Spiteri was a tiny guy who could never learn to tackle - despite being the best attacking broken field runner i've seen.
This guy is about the same size as Uate, and in 40 minutes of footy he already looks to have all the basics covered.
If he can defend he will be in firstgrade by the end of the year, and there's no reason he can't defend - one on one defence is a key component of 7s rugby, and positional play in defence isn't that hard to learn.

Wato

Juniors
For anyone who was there how was Roberts kicking game? That is an area the club as a whole need to improve and was wondering whether there was any improvement over the off season?

Also how was LikiLiki's defense? that was an area he struggled in.

billy2

Juniors
I notice Rick Stone mentioned Sims as one of the better players, and Barry Toohey named him as the possible bolter for firstgrade (spelt his name Corbin Sims) and said he could be named for the senior trial next week.
He only played 20 minutes but I feel he has gone up several levels.
Tets played 60 minutes and showed he has good fitness, but i was more impressed by the 20 minutes Sims played. He really bent the line and off loaded easily with many defenders hanging off him.

Footin mouth

Juniors
I notice Rick Stone mentioned Sims as one of the better players, and Barry Toohey named him as the possible bolter for firstgrade (spelt his name Corbin Sims) and said he could be named for the senior trial next week.
He only played 20 minutes but I feel he has gone up several levels.
Tets played 60 minutes and showed he has good fitness, but i was more impressed by the 20 minutes Sims played. He really bent the line and off loaded easily with many defenders hanging off him.

How about players like Williams and Mantellato be given a shot at NSW Cup.

billy2

Juniors
How about players like Williams and Mantellato be given a shot at NSW Cup.
I'd rather we persist with Marlborough than give the older and smaller Williams a shot, even if he is a more skilled hooker at this stage.
Mantellato is young enough and has done enough to have earnt a go IMO, but I would have preferred we kept Jarrod Tua from last year - he still had a lot of improvement in him and was a big, athletic unit.

billy2

Juniors
Marlborough has signed with the Steelers.
I hope he finally has a good run with injuries and kicks on as a footy player.
Coming back from a broken neck and doing 18 months of rehab including months in hospital means he has paid his dues and deserves a bit of success.
Before his broken neck he was one of our best in NYC, and since then he has shown glimpses of that X factor he always had.
He has the potential to be a new and better version of Matt Hilder - 40 tackles a game and real vision and playmaking skills from dummy half.

billy2

Juniors
McGregor is looking at playing him at 5/8.
Seen him play centre, 5/8, lock, second row, hooker.
Bit small for a forward but he makes up for it with heart - he is basically an 80 minute utility player who tackles his heart out similar to Matt Hilder - but he also has vision and X factor - steals a lot of tries just because he thinks a bit quicker than others.
The down side is he has an appalling injury record.

Latest posts