What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW forwards dominance

Craig Johnston

First Grade
deadset how good are these kids going to be for years to come?

woodsy 24
tamou 26
klemmer 21
fafita 25
merrin 25

klemmer's potential is unlimited, his coming of age is what is making the others go to the next level.

qld on the other hand, maguire is an origin midget the next danny nutley just not good enough, lillyman was a pillow. honestly what have they got?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Kane Evans and Matt Lodge have been the best NYC props of the past few years too

apart from Napa QLD dont seem to have much. id expect them to start raiding the NZ 20s shortly

Junior Paulo
Paul Vaughan
Kane Evans
Shannon Boyd

4 players that are already carving up at NRL level now and are waiting to be blooded in. All QLD have is Napa.

lockyno1

Post Whore
QLD have a few coming through to be fair. Napa is one, McGuire is pretty young. Few of the young Brisbane props are good. Issue is the back row and replacing Parker, etc will be a nightmare but I'm sure someone will come up,

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Junior Paulo
Paul Vaughan
Kane Evans
Shannon Boyd

4 players that are already carving up at NRL level now and are waiting to be blooded in. All QLD have is Napa.

of them vaughn is performing at similar high levels, the rest are still inconsistent, i am a massive kane evans fan though. another one with a massive future is regan campbell gillard

Craig Johnston

First Grade
QLD have a few coming through to be fair. Napa is one, McGuire is pretty young. Few of the young Brisbane props are good. Issue is the back row and replacing Parker, etc will be a nightmare but I'm sure someone will come up,

who? only maguire is putting up nrl level meters. and like i said he's an origin midget getting found out.

who else then? name them

of them vaughn is performing at similar high levels, the rest are still inconsistent, i am a massive kane evans fan though. another one with a massive future is regan campbell gillard

Junior Paulo has been very good this year, it's just he was suspended so we didn't see much of him. IMO he was the most potential of them all, the man is a freak, he's 120kgs and can move so well. He's only 21 as well. Even last year he was the shinning light in crap Parra front row.

RCG is really good. I didn't mention him because he hasn't established himself in 1st grade...... YET. Should be by years end along with Jake Trobovic and Matt Lodge. Willis Meehan is another with massive potential.

Bit soon but Patrick Mago looks good. Josh MaGuire is good but not close to the level that David Klemmer is on... no shame really, not many are.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Bit soon but Patrick Mago looks good. Josh MaGuire is good but not close to the level that David Klemmer is on... no shame really, not many are.

There are a few coming through, also have Papali in reserve too. Few of the real young Brisbane forwards that are just starting to get a taste this season have great size and ball skills. That said none of our props won't be there next year. Need to pension Myles and to a lesser degree Thaiday off after game 3.

There are a few coming through, also have Papali in reserve too. Few of the real young Brisbane forwards that are just starting to get a taste this season have great size and ball skills. That said none of our props won't be there next year. Need to pension Myles and to a lesser degree Thaiday off after game 3.

There's always good players coming through, but I think NSW has the better ones atm. Especially in the 2nd row - Cartwright, Moeroa, Bird, Carter and Pangai jr coming through and Cordner, Jackson, Merrin, Sims, Frizzell, James, Graham being in there early 20's!

Front row is also stacked. Already loaded with Woods, Tamou, and Klemmer in there early and mid 20's. Then having Fifita to fall back on while the likes of Paulo, Evans, Vaughan and Boyd already established themselves in the NRL. On top of that you have young guns like Lodge, Trobovic, RCG and Meehan coming through. Don't see how QLD could match that.

ek999

First Grade

This is going to be the problem for Qld for the next 2 years at least as most of them want to play in the World Cup and then retire and Mal won't want to drop them out of loyalty. It's going to be a forward pack on the decline (besides Parker who looks like he could play until he is 70) versus a forward pack that will keep on getting better every year.

Come 2018 it will become a pack of rookies (besides McGuire, Papalii and maybe Napa if Mal gives him a run soon) against a side with plenty of Origin experience, Gallen will be gone but Fifita will be back. Daley made the right move in dropping Lewis and I can't see Bird getting a look back in if he is serious about future proofing the side. Jackson and Cordner haven't impressed too much this series but they are now ready made replacements for Scott and Hoffman and will be better as starters in their preferred positions.

betcats

Referee

I think Vaughan could easily slot into that pack now if called up and in a season or two Evans, Boyd and RCG will be ready for it if they can get a spot. Junior Paulo is an immensely talented guy aswell, he will play at all levels if he continues to work.

Our backrow is fairly well stocked now and into the future aswell.

Vaughan is pretty unlucky with the quality of frontrowers we have atm. He'd be better value than one of Jackson or Cordner on the bench.

The young backrower QLD are looking for was 18th man last night. Believe it or not Papalli only just turned 23 and has been killing it once he moved back into the 11.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Vaughan is pretty unlucky with the quality of frontrowers we have atm. He'd be better value than one of Jackson or Cordner on the bench.

The young backrower QLD are looking for was 18th man last night. Believe it or not Papalli only just turned 23 and has been killing it once he moved back into the 11.

you're comparing apples and oranges there, cordner's role is to replace either hoffman, scott or and maybe a centre that goes down. jackson's role is to replace farah, and virtually any back (albeit with a shuffle of decks).

the only opportunity for vaughn is to replace either klemmer (not happening) or merrin who doubles up as a ballplaying and mobile lock (so again not happening). he's clearly behind fafita also in that pecking order if klemmer/tamou/woods ever got injured/suspended and probably behind both frizzell and simms as middle forwards also.

At the beginning of the year I would have had Vaughan in place of Tamou since I thought his rep career was over.... Boy I was wrong :lol:

Shorty

Staff member
lol this seems more like wishful thinking than anything (thinking that Queensland will have no forwards).
Bennett's style of play at the Broncos means there will be some decent guys coming up in Brisbane, might have a few lean years but it won't be forever.
I remember NSW had a pretty average forward pack just a few years ago (no, not 9 years ago).

betcats

Referee
lol this seems more like wishful thinking than anything (thinking that Queensland will have no forwards).
Bennett's style of play at the Broncos means there will be some decent guys coming up in Brisbane, might have a few lean years but it won't be forever.
I remember NSW had a pretty average forward pack just a few years ago (no, not 9 years ago).

Its pretty clear at this stage NSW has the better forward pack and have better young guys coming through. What QLD forwards will push for selection the next 3 years?

Edit: And NSW always had a plethora or quality backrowers to select from and that doesn't look like changing, we did lack quality props for a few years.

Last edited:

Craig Johnston

First Grade
matt scott has regressed badly this season as well, injuries are starting to toll on him, i remember him as a pup coming through he was aggressive and kept pushing no matter what (a little bit like klemmer now but klemmer is much bigger than he was) but he seems to lack that motivation now

massive void if he keeps regressing.

Lol so which qld forwards will be pushing for selection in the next few years? Only ones I can see are Napa and Grevsmoul. Compare that to nsw with Vaughan, Paulo, Evans and Paulo. While in the backrow they have sims, frizell, Thomson and Cartwright ready to go.