What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW New Road Laws

Bulldog Force

Referee
So the new road laws have been brought in today across NSW - standard no mobile phone usage etc... but let me get this straight (excuse the pun), if I'm at a roundabout going STRAIGHT, I know have to indicate left as I'm exiting?? Oh, by the way, 'unless it's not practice' - how the hell are we supposed to know what is and isn't 'practical' circumstances unless they've got it down in black & white?

TooheysNew

Coach
Assuming you mean now instead of know, that's been the case for at least 9 years. Perhaps you should sit some lessons with an instructor?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Assuming you mean now instead of know, that's been the case for at least 9 years. Perhaps you should sit some lessons with an instructor?
Now in stead of know correct. If it's been the case for the last 9 years, why has no one else been doing it... and why has it been advertised on the RTA website PDF as a new law?

TooheysNew

Coach
People have been doing it. Anyone who's got a license in the past 9 years would know about it.

watatank

Coach
Pretty sure drivers are taught to indicate left just before/as they exit the round about...even if they make a right turn.

No one does it though, especially when going straight...bit of an unwritten rule that no indicator means going straight.

abpanther

Staff member
I don't really understand the purpose of it, is it to help the car behind you or those waiting to enter the roundabout?

_snafu_

Immortal
I think the rule is impractical for small roundabouts in the suburbs because you are through them so quickly and where the visibility is good. I think the rule is better suited to big roundabouts (think Canberra).

Bulldog Force

Referee
I think the rule is impractical for small roundabouts in the suburbs because you are through them so quickly and where the visibility is good. I think the rule is better suited to big roundabouts (think Canberra).
If that's the case it would be perfect for us Sydney siders who don't have many of these roundabouts, but we need that in black & white writing somewhere so the cops don't have an excuse to fine us!

Bulldog Force

Referee
Ok, so I rang the RTA and spoke to them about what is a 'unless it's not practical' situation. They said pretty much situations like traffic jams and 'things for the police to decide.' So in other words, put your blinker on or they're going to fist you!

Also, this isn't a new rule, it's just a newly enforced rule. Left blinker when exiting a roundabout. Coby was right.

ozbash

Referee
That rule has been in affect in NZ for a while now. You should indicate left or right and if you are going straight ahead and crossing a lane,, eg, you are in the middle lane of a multi lane roundabout and you have to cross other lanes to go straight ahead.. common sense really.

We,ve had the mobile ph law for a few years now, great law. I hope your cops police it as stringently as ours.
Txting and driving is for dickheads.

innsaneink

Referee
Rules been around for yonks......you understand it if you live near a massive dual laned r/bout like 9 ways at Kingsford.....or near DFO at Olympic Pk under Homebush bay drv
Its crucial when youre on the inside lane and exiting left and the guy outside you is still going around

Pretty certain that's not the case.
Is this a reply to this?
You have never had to indicate exiting a roundabout going straight. You are essentially following the road.
I agree with CH

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=8756534

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You have never had to indicate exiting a roundabout going straight. You are essentially following the road.

When exiting a roundabout, whether you are turning left, right or even going straight ahead, you must always indicate a left turn just before you exit, unless it is not practical to do so.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/roadrules/roundabouts.html

I've always indicated left when exiting a roundabout. It's a roundabout, doesn't matter if you're going straight or left... you should let the other drivers know that you are leaving the roundabout. Plus, it's the law.

innsaneink

Referee
Yeh, looking at my sons old handbook, youre right
Ridiculous though in most roundabouts....I guess their out ...

unless it is not practical to do so

....gets them ''out'' there though

In the words of IanG.

Its Horseshit.

I don't reckon I have ever seen anyone indicate off a roundabout going straight.

Perhaps its different in QLD?

DC_fan

Coach
In the words of IanG.

Its Horseshit.

I don't reckon I have ever seen anyone indicate off a roundabout going straight.

Perhaps its different in QLD?

I drive for a living and have done so for more then a few years. Using the left hand blinker to indicate you are leaving the roundabout has been law here in NSW for a few years now.

Latest posts