What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW New Road Laws

bileduct

Coach
Living in Canberra I go through many roundabouts wherever I am going on any given day. Hardly anyone at all indicates when they are exiting (I don't either) and I can't say that I have ever been bothered or inconvenienced at all by someone else failing to indicate when exiting.

_Johnsy

Referee
Isn't practical to move your right hand a few cm's. FMD I have seen lazy before but this honestly takes the cake.

bileduct

Coach
Isn't practical to move your right hand a few cm's. FMD I have seen lazy before but this honestly takes the cake.
Come back DJ, your record is scratched!

If you bothered to read my comment I was remarking predominately about other people on the road who fail to indicate when exiting a roundabout (99% of them) and how their behaviour hasn't bothered or inconvenienced me in the slightest.

But I get it, you want to keep responding to everyone's posts with the exact same remark, so carry on...

Edit: Oh, never mind, I didn't read Timmah's comment closely enough to see that you were replying to him. I guess I am the one who needs remedial reading lessons.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's still the same weather it's more or something else. Either way, he seems to think everything is so simple and the world is black and white :thumb

bileduct

Coach
Just wondering, though, what are the possibile ramifications of failing to indicate when exiting a roundabout? In what kinds of scenarios is this behaviour considered dangerous? Who is at risk?

Most people do indicate when entering a roundabout if they will be exiting left or right, and I can understand why that should be the law. But I fail to see what possible danger there is to other vehicles around you by not indicating when you exit, except perhaps pedestrians trying to cross the road right at the exit point?

Parra

Referee
Just wondering, though, what are the possibile ramifications of failing to indicate when exiting a roundabout? In what kinds of scenarios is this behaviour considered dangerous? Who is at risk?

Most people do indicate when entering a roundabout if they will be exiting left or right, and I can understand why that should be the law. But I fail to see what possible danger there is to other vehicles around you by not indicating when you exit, except perhaps pedestrians trying to cross the road right at the exit point?

Relying on indicators creates risk. Indicating certainly does not reduce it.

The old "never trust a left blinker' rule applies. They might as well not even be there on the front of cars. They can only cause trouble.

_Johnsy

Referee
Come back DJ, your record is scratched!

If you bothered to read my comment I was remarking predominately about other people on the road who fail to indicate when exiting a roundabout (99% of them) and how their behaviour hasn't bothered or inconvenienced me in the slightest.

But I get it, you want to keep responding to everyone's posts with the exact same remark, so carry on...

Edit: Oh, never mind, I didn't read Timmah's comment closely enough to see that you were replying to him. I guess I am the one who needs remedial reading lessons.

No probs.

I have a roundabout that I go through at least twice a day it's tiny. But I make the massive effort to hit the indicator ;-)

I honestly cannot understand the reluctance to just indicate. I repeat it over & over because I find it truly astounding.

Cletus

First Grade

Not practical, practicable. I.e. serving a useful purpose which it doesn't if its a single lane roundabout. If I'm going straight I don't see the point of indicating at all.

_Johnsy

Referee
Practical - concerned with the actual doing or use of something.
Practicable - Able to be done or put into practice successfully.

You are relying on semantics at best IMO.

You don't, I do. Even if it is only for common courtesy re: other road users. Maybe I have old fashioned values. It's a personal choice.

Cletus

First Grade

You don't, I do. Even if it is only for common courtesy re: other road users. Maybe I have old fashioned values. It's a personal choice.
practicable (not comparable)
Capable of being accomplished; feasible.
Serving a useful function; useful, functional or handy.
Available for use; accessible or employable.

Of course I'm using semantics its legislation. If they'd meant practical they would have used it, so the "serving a useful function" part is meant to be there. It just doesn't serve a useful function going straight on a single lane roundabout.

Parra

Referee

A courtesy to who? If it is someone not yet on the roundabout then your indicator is meaningless.

If it is someone behind you it might be courtesy. At best. Still seems like a useless thing to do. More likely dangerous.

_Johnsy

Referee
A courtesy to who? If it is someone not yet on the roundabout then your indicator is meaningless.

If it is someone behind you it might be courtesy. At best. Still seems like a useless thing to do. More likely dangerous.

common courtesy re: other road users.

I'm surprised you missed that part.

If no-one else is on the road, using your scenario of course. Even if someone is behind you how the f**k is indicating left if you are exiting, dangerous ?

Are you still on your L's, considering indicating is now dangerous. You really shouldn't be driving.

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
No probs.

I have a roundabout that I go through at least twice a day it's tiny. But I make the massive effort to hit the indicator ;-)

I honestly cannot understand the reluctance to just indicate. I repeat it over & over because I find it truly astounding.
Depends on the size of the vehicle and the turning circle it has, and the size of the roundabout......I mostly drive one of the biggest sedans on the road, and by the time ive manouvered some of the smaller r/bouts ......((as has already been stated but you seem to have ignored)).......I'm already out of the roundabout and its pointless indicating....theres quite a difference in a small roundabout in a Holden Astra or Toyota Yaris compared to a VE Commodore...all which I drive regularly

Cletus

First Grade
If no-one else is on the road, using your scenario of course. Even if someone is behind you how the f**k is indicating left if you are exiting, dangerous ?

Are you still on your L's, considering indicating is now dangerous. You really shouldn't be driving.

Because if you indicate too early a driver on your left can think your turning left rather than going straight. I've never had an accident on a roundabout in twenty years so I don't see why I should change now.

Parra

Referee
I'm surprised you missed that part.

So explain the purpose. And here is a hint tough guy, courtesy does not come into it.

Easy to shoot your mouth off. Try and back it up.

_Johnsy

Referee
Depends on the size of the vehicle and the turning circle it has, and the size of the roundabout......I mostly drive one of the biggest sedans on the road, and by the time ive manouvered some of the smaller r/bouts ......((as has already been stated but you seem to have ignored)).......I'm already out of the roundabout and pointless indicating....quite a difference in a small roundabout in a Holden Astra compared to a VE Commodore...both which I drive regulalrly

You have to be kidding.

Firstly I didn't ignore the "small roundabout" defence.

VE commodore isn't that much bigger than an astra that it makes it more difficulty to indicate. If you are that short of time, maybe slow down a touch through and/or approaching the roundabout. You may think it's a justifiable reason for not using it, but it won't cut it in court. That much I can tell you.

If you do ever get a ticket, please fight it in court & I'll come down to watch the hearing. have a laugh & buy you a beer afterwards.

_Johnsy

Referee
So explain the purpose. And here is a hint tough guy, courtesy does not come into it.

Easy to shoot your mouth off. Try and back it up.

Exactly what purpose do you want me to explain? It is the law to indicate when leaving/exiting a roundabout. Fairly straight forward.

Resorting to insults, all out of ideas then ?

The courtesy of indicating was my opinion (if you would care to read my post again). Because I question if you are on your L's because you consider the use of an indicator dangerous, and you get al upset. Or does that comment make me a tough guy, FMD !!!!!

Parra

Referee
Exactly what purpose do you want me to explain? It is the law to indicate when leaving/exiting a roundabout. Fairly straight forward.

Resorting to insults, all out of ideas then ?

The courtesy of indicating was my opinion (if you would care to read my post again). Because I question if you are on your L's because you consider the use of an indicator dangerous, and you get al upset. Or does that comment make me a tough guy, FMD !!!!!

Maybe it is the exclamation points.

So, apart from the fact that the government tells you to do it and you think it is "courteous" do you have any real idea at all why you do this? You still haven't come up with one.

_Johnsy

Referee
The reasons you state above are more a reason to do it than not. I gave those as to why I do. Who exactly do you want me to answer for. I can only answer for me. I am amazed this simple, basic concept escaped you. It wasn't the answer you were looking for, stiff shyte.

There were no exclamation points when you called me a tough guy, was it the chip on your shoulder or was it habit that made you resort to the tough guy line?

But don't indicate, that's your choice. Enjoy paying the fines if/when you get one. As I said several posts earlier, it is a choice. I make a different one to you. My amazement (again if you actually bothered to read) is that people would prefer to be lazy rather than exclude themselves from receiving a fine for something that takes 2-3 seconds.

Maintain the rage though.

Last edited:

Latest posts