What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Organised Crime Squad Investigating alleged NRL Match-Fixing

T-Boon

Coach
I'd have no problems it going the same way as tobacco advertising in sport.

if there is going to be gambling on sport then the sport should be able to make money off of it - otherwise it is just the grub bookies making all the money.
Ban gambling on league altogether?

Cletus

First Grade
So the allegations are bullshit and will probably never be mentioned again, but next time it will be "Yet another Rugby League scandal" because of this and all the other bullshit stories, so over the vultures in the media.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'd have no problems it going the same way as tobacco advertising in sport. Some serious dodgy people wrapped up with NRL players. Doubt anything will come of this investigation but geez something is starting to stink with all this betting link up. NRL reaping what it sows, the games history is built on pokies so we shouldn't be surprised I suppose.
Some serious dodgy stuff eh? NRL reaping what it sows? I guess that's what the headlines say.

There has never been a proven case of match fixing in the NRL. But there has been plenty against cricket, soccer and racing... to name a few.

Let's not forget the tanking scandal in the AFL in 2013 where club officials were charged and suspended. The Melbourne Football Club were fined $500K. There was a clear intent to manipulate the outcome of games.

And what was the Melbourne's media response to this? Well the Age pretty much said it was normal practice when they published this article.

Excerpt from the AFL article:
"Call it tanking, call it tactics, call it opportunism - this is a trend that has seen clubs, rightly or wrongly, gain an edge..."

Can you imagine the NRL being given such a generous scope?

Parra

Referee
Which highlights the stupidity of the argument to remove gambling sponsorship from Rugby League only.

People in ivory towers etc.

Outside of maybe Peter Fitzsimons and some of the paranoid types here that argument just does not exist.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Outside of maybe Peter Fitzsimons and some of the paranoid types here that argument just does not exist.
I have seen a few media comments on TV suggest that it is a cultural thing within Rugby League.

It's all about perception. They simply suggest the problem is exclusive to Rugby League, they don't have to back it up.

I hope the end result of all this a complete overhaul of all gambling on football. Reserve the judgements until the facts are undeniable.

Last edited:

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
Anyone heard anything about an apparent massive story around match fixing about to break from this year?

Tweeted by the Mole - which usually means sweet FA...

Haven't seen a post about it yet on here?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Match fixing scandal set to explode
By The Mole
August 5, 2016

NRL’s match fixing scandal is set to explode in the next 24 hours.

RLW has learned that Channel Seven and Fairfax Media are set to make sensational claims about the scandal.

The Organised Crime Squad has been investigating suspicious activity in several matches since early June.

The 2015 round 16 match between South Sydney and Manly, won by the Rabbitohs 20-8, and a round 24 clash between Manly and Parramatta, won by the Eels 20-16 are at the centre of allegations.

But a game earlier this season is also believed to be under investigation.

Stand by for developments.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/match...d=761377926386298881&adbpl=tw&adbpr=236216311

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The Mole's got nuthin'

The allegations will come from Ch 7 and/or Fairfax