What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nsw Origin 24 and how it will affect us.

Sime_11

Juniors
Would ironic if Edwards makes his debut in Melbourne origin game since he hails from there
would be awesome for him to make his Debut and NSW win the series from 1-0 down with Dyl picking up MOTM in both games and winning the Wally lewis medal

he'd still get disrespect tho

By all means apportion blame on certain players but this loss is on the games administration.

Rugby League is a high intensity contact sport, contact with the head is inevitable during the course of a game.

The tackle resulting in a send off this evening is an
unavoidable consequence of the game, it will continue to happen.

Deliberate foul play, resulting in forceful contact with the head, sure we all understand the need to protect the players welfare. But tonight just further demonstrates the path the g@mes administrators are taking the game will ultimately destroy the fabric of the game.

Be interesting to hear Gould’s thoughts, will he be prepared to cop another significant fine and speak his mind.
I’m not sure what you are talking about. Tackle lower. It’s not rocket science.

Kilkenny

Coach
I’m not sure what you are talking about. Tackle lower. It’s not rocket science.
The pace of the game is incredible, the defender in this instance was intent on making a big hit, ball and all tackle, Walsh immediately prior to impact slips, his body position is lower including the position of his head and the tackle goes wrong. We’re talking about something that happened in a split second whereby the defender who is committed to his intended tackle is simply not able to change. It was deemed worthy of a send off given this stance of our games administrators.

Liam Martin later in the game made a tackle on the Hammer which sent the commentators and fan at the game and watching on TV into a frenzy. The Hammer could also have slipped, crouched lower after taking possession of the ball and in that split second Martin could also have made contact with the head and the conversation is entirely different.

The margins from the perfect tackle (big hit) to one that can go wrong are minuscule given the pace of the game.

suggesting players simply tackle lower is naive in the extreme and doesn’t need further explanation.

In my opinion the automatic send should apply to deliberate acts of foul play, most of which are obvious, and the other incidents should be dealt with by 10 minutes in the bin or left to the MRC.

This pursuit or attempt to ‘stop’ contact with the head is unrealistic is you want to enjoy the game as we know it. Perhaps you are right, we need or perhaps in the future will outlaw all tackles above the waist.

WestyLife

First Grade
The pace of the game is incredible, the defender in this instance was intent on making a big hit, ball and all tackle, Walsh immediately prior to impact slips, his body position is lower including the position of his head and the tackle goes wrong. We’re talking about something that happened in a split second whereby the defender who is committed to his intended tackle is simply not able to change. It was deemed worthy of a send off given this stance of our games administrators.

Liam Martin later in the game made a tackle on the Hammer which sent the commentators and fan at the game and watching on TV into a frenzy. The Hammer could also have slipped, crouched lower after taking possession of the ball and in that split second Martin could also have made contact with the head and the conversation is entirely different.

The margins from the perfect tackle (big hit) to one that can go wrong are minuscule given the pace of the game.

suggesting players simply tackle lower is naive in the extreme and doesn’t need further explanation.

In my opinion the automatic send should apply to deliberate acts of foul play, most of which are obvious, and the other incidents should be dealt with by 10 minutes in the bin or left to the MRC.

This pursuit or attempt to ‘stop’ contact with the head is unrealistic is you want to enjoy the game as we know it. Perhaps you are right, we need or perhaps in the future will outlaw all tackles above the waist.

Have to point out Walsh's head doesn't drop at all before he's hit and Sualii is in the process of jumping/leaving his feet. Also Sualii is 6'4 Vs walsh who's a talented hobbit, it was reckless technique at best.

WestyLife

First Grade

Have to point out Walsh's head doesn't drop at all before he's hit and Sualii is in the process of jumping/leaving his feet. Also Sualii is 6'4 Vs walsh who's a talented hobbit, it was reckless technique at best.

Kilkenny

Coach
The size of the players is irrelevant mate.

The point is the intent of the defender, no different to Liam Martin, was to make a legal ball and all tackle, bigger the better. We can have differing opinions, did he slip, was he lower to the ground as a consequence of the slip, was Joseph reckless blah blah blah.

In recent seasons the games administrators sought the need to introduce the rules around ‘crusher’ tackles and ‘hip drop’ tackles. As we have seen our players are widely exploiting the ‘crusher’ tackle wherein probably 8/10 instances if the player with the ball clutches his neck and stays down after being tackled he will be rewarded with a penalty. In respect of what constitutes a ‘crusher’ tackle I would suggest no one really has any idea for the most part It really is a lottery.

The overall majority seems comfortable with the send off on Wednesday night. I didn’t agree with it at the time and still don’t. I read a Facebook post from a fan, took his family to the game at great expense only to have the whole contest or the xperience ruined as a consequence of the send off. I would be shattered too to spend $1300 on a family ticket, food and beverage to have the event decided on that call and the ideology that we (the game) can somehow prevent those sort of tackles and enjoy the game as we know it.

WestyLife

First Grade
The size of the players is irrelevant mate.

The point is the intent of the defender, no different to Liam Martin, was to make a legal ball and all tackle, bigger the better. We can have differing opinions, did he slip, was he lower to the ground as a consequence of the slip, was Joseph reckless blah blah blah.

In recent seasons the games administrators sought the need to introduce the rules around ‘crusher’ tackles and ‘hip drop’ tackles. As we have seen our players are widely exploiting the ‘crusher’ tackle wherein probably 8/10 instances if the player with the ball clutches his neck and stays down after being tackled he will be rewarded with a penalty. In respect of what constitutes a ‘crusher’ tackle I would suggest no one really has any idea for the most part It really is a lottery.

The overall majority seems comfortable with the send off on Wednesday night. I didn’t agree with it at the time and still don’t. I read a Facebook post from a fan, took his family to the game at great expense only to have the whole contest or the xperience ruined as a consequence of the send off. I would be shattered too to spend $1300 on a family ticket, food and beverage to have the event decided on that call and the ideology that we (the game) can somehow prevent those sort of tackles and enjoy the game as we know it.

I see the issue. You don't understand the nuance of the rules. His lack of intent to hurt is what makes it reckless and 4 weeks vs straight to the judiciary and longer.

The "ruined games" argument is garbage. Tell that to the guys with brain damage for our entertainment. It's a send off every day every week anyone who says otherwise is a moron.

Kilkenny

Coach
I see the issue. You don't understand the nuance of the rules. His lack of intent to hurt is what makes it reckless and 4 weeks vs straight to the judiciary and longer.

The "ruined games" argument is garbage. Tell that to the guys with brain damage for our entertainment. It's a send off every day every week anyone who says otherwise is a moron.
I’m a moron, well done mate. Your opinion is so much more worthy than my opinion or the points that I put forward in support of what is my opinion. No freedom of speech allowed,

This is a good example of a send of.

WestyLife

First Grade
I’m a moron, well done mate. Your opinion is so much more worthy than my opinion or the points that I put forward in support of what is my opinion. No freedom of speech allowed,

This is a good example of a send of.

I was harsh but I'm a few beers deep after a long taxing week of work. Forgive me.

Kilkenny

Coach
I was harsh but I'm a few beers deep after a long taxing week of work. Forgive me.
No problems, I don’t post what I post to piss you off or anyone else. They are just my personal opinions.

And just on the spoiler issue, you make the effort at great expense and effort to bring your family to our home game tomorrow likewise I hope your experience is not ruined by perhaps one of our players being sent off during the game on a contentious call.

I am all in favour of protection for our players I’m just not convinced we are going about it in the right way.

WestyLife

First Grade
No problems, I don’t post what I post to piss you off or anyone else. They are just my personal opinions.

And just on the spoiler issue, you make the effort at great expense and effort to bring your family to our home game tomorrow likewise I hope your experience is not ruined by perhaps one of our players being sent off during the game on a contentious call.

I am all in favour of protection for our players I’m just not convinced we are going about it in the right way.

I think they'll always put the fault on the defender as they have the most control over the situation. Whether we like it or not we now have to accept that contact Sports will be hyper aware of player welfare. Guys are getting older and can't remember things or worse. I don't know the perfect solution but I don't want people's brains being mashed for my entertainment. I know I've gone soft the wife says I've been domesticated.

Pomoz

Bench

The "ruined games" argument is garbage. Tell that to the guys with brain damage for our entertainment.
You are spot on with this summary. Players need to stop with this type of tackle, it was like a flying shoulder charge, the arm was nowhere near engaging for a tackle. There is no control in this tackle and if anything goes wrong, well, we saw what happened. Walsh is such a brilliant player to watch, we don't want him leaving the game with brain damage because players can't restrain their aggression and stay in control.

Munky

Coach
Adrian Morley used to belt guys legally all the time.

In the opening five seconds of the three test series against Australia in 2003 he hit Robbie Kearns high and was sent.

Should he have stayed on due to the event status of the game?

Rugby Joe plays in a reckless manner and has done his entire (short) career.

I was watching 99 last night and Nick Butt (IIRC) said the reason they played is for the memories not the money.

Professional athletes will cop living fifty years with busted knees and sore backs because of the memories that go with them. Not being able to remember why your knee hurts all the time and your kids names is why the head knocks are a problem.

Iamback

Coach
You are spot on with this summary. Players need to stop with this type of tackle, it was like a flying shoulder charge, the arm was nowhere near engaging for a tackle. There is no control in this tackle and if anything goes wrong, well, we saw what happened. Walsh is such a brilliant player to watch, we don't want him leaving the game with brain damage because players can't restrain their aggression and stay in control.

What do you think happens if Suaalii hangs back and waits for Walsh?

Teams/players will do what they have to stop tries

Iamback

Coach
RL just needs to bring in a rule to replace a guy sent off after a certain time like Ice Hockey does.

Hell every sport does it aside from soccer