What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nsw Origin 24 and how it will affect us.

betcats

Referee
The game, or rather contact sports in general have changed ever since the nfl brain injury thing came to light.

Suali came in aggressive and launched himself, yeah Walsh slipped a bit but still you came in like tgat and get it wrong, for any reason, and you’re likely to be sent if you leave the guy out cold.

Goonji

Juniors
RL just needs to bring in a rule to replace a guy sent off after a certain time like Ice Hockey does.

Hell every sport does it aside from soccer
I agree with this. The NRL has made so many changes recently to make the game, faster, safer, more attacking, more attractive to the fan and more of a contest. Yet, you get a bloke sent off and it becomes a no contest for the team with 12. I would also argue that having 12 against 13 for most of the game doesn't make it safer the team penalised where injuries may be a result of fatigue.

Munky

Coach
In a finals game may as well murder the opposition halfback in the second minute with a reserve grader selected to start if the team gets to play with thirteen for the other sixty eight minutes.

Goonji

Juniors
In a finals game may as well murder the opposition halfback in the second minute with a reserve grader selected to start if the team gets to play with thirteen for the other sixty eight minutes.
Yeah, and the other team could do the same so which team benefits? In order for my suggestion to work there would have to be very harsh penalties for either team that illegally takes out another player, minimum 12 weeks for example. What player would want to risk that?

Iamback

Coach

Well no because you still have to do some time without a player.

Are you going to risk being a man down for say 10 mins and running a 3 man bench for the game?

Iamback

Coach
Yeah, and the other team could do the same so which team benefits? In order for my suggestion to work there would have to be very harsh penalties for either team that illegally takes out another player, minimum 12 weeks for example. What player would want to risk that?

My favourite sport is Ice Hockey now because none of this softening of the sport, They realise that professional grown ups have decided they want to play a risky sport.

Anyway the way it works there is. X player does an illegal hit. That team is short a player for 5 mins. That player can the be replaced on the ice but the guy who did the hit is out for the game.

Basketball guy just sits
NFL as well
AFL has no send off
RU player is off for 20 mins then back on..

So on and so on across the sports

Iamback

Coach
The game, or rather contact sports in general have changed ever since the nfl brain injury thing came to light.

Suali came in aggressive and launched himself, yeah Walsh slipped a bit but still you came in like tgat and get it wrong, for any reason, and you’re likely to be sent if you leave the guy out cold.

Happy to handicap the attackers then in that case too.

RL is still based around winning the 1st contact and wrapping the ball up.

Again if Sualii hangs back he either gets smoked by Walsh or Walsh is able to draw and pass and have numbers outside.

even a 5m rule instead of a 10 m rule helps the defending team, Ban offloads and then guys can go lower

BUT the game then becomes 2 close to RU and a lesser product - So if the game wants it to stay in this form than it needs to adjust how it handles send offs etc

age.s

First Grade
I dont think anyone would seriously suggest if you go in with intent to injure you shouldn't be sent. There wasn't intent in the Sualii tackle though. Hes looking to make a copybook hit, gets it very marginally wrong on a guy who's slipping. Completely different circumstance.

Iamback

Coach
I dont think anyone would seriously suggest if you go in with intent to injure you shouldn't be sent. There wasn't intent in the Sualii tackle though. Hes looking to make a copybook hit, gets it very marginally wrong on a guy who's slipping. Completely different circumstance.

Yep. It is slowed down on the replay have that is full speed and it looks totally different. A balant swinging arm or spear tackle is different and tbh. I don't anyone these days would risk injuring someone on purpose

panther.mike

Juniors
Protect the head at all times, defenders responsibility. why then can attackers shoulder charge a defender and even raise their arms without penalty.????

Iamback

Coach
Protect the head at all times, defenders responsibility. why then can attackers shoulder charge a defender and even raise their arms without penalty.????

That is it.

An attacker can do anything - provided their elbows aren't cocked or something.

Hence why these things will happen outside of major rule changes