What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW player ratings game 1

Hutty1986

Immortal
Not too sure what Soward is supposed to do exactly, his forwards were absolutely annihilated all night long and he was playing from his own 40 the vast majority of the game. Hopefully with Hayne in and a couple of forwards who actually have a f*cking go it will be a different story in Sydney

Spot On

Coach
1. Dugan (7) Was solid played about as well as i expected him too.

2. Uate (8) Did a better job up the middle than all of our props

3. Gasnier (5) to be honest i thought he was poor he didn't offer a great deal and wasn't really involved.

4. Jennings (9) Dangerous every time he touched the ball should have Hayne outside him.

5. Morris (3) His mistake cost NSW the game before then i actually thought it was his best performance in Origin which isn't saying much.

6. Soward (6) I thought he was okay though for the first 15 minutes i am not even sure if he touched the ball. His Clearing kicks did help NSW a bit which is what has been lacking in recent years.

7. Pearce (7) Thought it was his best performance in Origin he played well.

8. King (1) Worst selection in Origin History not even in the top 15 front rowers in NSW utter disgrace he was picked he made only 4 hit ups disgraceful.

9. Ennis (6) Thought he played okay better than recent Origin performances but still nowhere near as good as Farah really.

10 Snowden (4) I thought Snowden and Manneh were our best front rowers and the only 2 who should be retained.

11. Scott (7) thought he was solid for the most part but he doesn't offer enough in attack if he could develop and offload or something he could become a good player.

12. Bird (8) showed great footwork for the first try he made 10 hit ups for 100 metres so that is pretty good going.

13. Gallen (8) Gallen is always an 8 out of 10 player works so hard he puts our front rowers to shame.

14. Creagh (1) 4 hit ups again, Guy is far too soft for Origin never should be selected again.

15. Merrin (2) He was on debut so i gave him an extra point, He only made something like 35 metres. He is nothing special and should be dropped.

16. Mannah (5) He made the most metres of any NSW front rower he seemed to spend less time on the field too, he looked like the only NSW player who could get over the advantage line,

17. Young (3) He deserved a go he has been a good clubman for years but i thought he was found wanting at this level of football.

Team for Origin 2

1. Dugan
2. Uate
3. Gasnier ( If NSW lose or he performs badly bring in Idris for game 3)
4. Jennings
5. Hayne
6. Soward
7. Pearce
8. Tolman
9. Farah
10. Snowden
11. Scott
12. Bird
13. Gallen

14. Lewis
15. Learoyd-Lahrs
16. Mannah
17. Watmough

People say don't make many changes but i would make 6. Lewis,Hayne and Farah in my opinion are no brainers if you were to name the 10 best players in NSW all 3 would get a mention. We need new front rowers badly.

Props banned from Origin forever

Weyman

Kite
King
Poore
White

We need to pick 4 front rowers outside of all these failures. Merrin isn't ready at all for Origin he isn't better then Galloway,Grant,Douglas,Hunt,Tolman ,Tilse etc

Learoyd Lahrs was the last NSW front rower to make 100 metres in a game forever. He has to be chosen he has a bit of Sironen about him really.

The text in bold is the best post in this thread. King's selection needs to be explained by someone. Just why was he selected? What did the powers that be think he would bring to the team and who was really pushing for the inclusion of a bloke who is clearly well below rep level. Would he get a start at city/country level?? Our prop rotations have been incredibly poor over the past five years.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I agree, it's the forwards that need a good kick in the backside. The QLD forwards made too many metres and constantly put our back 3 under pressure. Would have loved to see Uate and Dugan with more space to work with.

The backline really clicked when the team was actually going forward in the second half.

timka4

Bench
Agreed, punt King and stick a boot up Snowdens ass and I think Soward will have a better game.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
SO why was Lahrs not in the team? Has his form been not so good this year? I thought his effort last year playing Origin was awesome.

Dragon2010

First Grade
I think you have been very balanced in your ratings here Dragon 2010, the only disagreement I have is Morris. You have been generous.

I hope Stuart isn't the pigheaded fool he has proven to be time and time again and makes a few crucial changes. Hmmm, but he won't make changes, just because he would be admitting he is wrong, which he would never do. His rating 1 out of 10 for his absolutely garbage use of the bench.

I hope Hayne replaces Morris. Sorry, I like Morris but he doesn't get involved enough.
I hope King realises how catastrophically bad he is and retires from all forms of football. I would replace him with anybody else. Hell, I would put my dear old mum in the front row before King.
And as much as I like Young for his ticker, Luke Lewis should come off the bench and Ennis start, even though he is a grub and I can't stand him and find it hard to support him even in a blue jersey

Thanks mate :D Tried to be balance as I could.

Yeah Morris was a surprise. He's had opportunities to stand up in Origin and he never gets there. Good club player not SOO material. He's a finisher. I agree with the Hayne move. Dugan should keep Fullback spot though he's great in what Stuart wants to achieve as a fullback and will allow Hayne to focus more on attack/ roving fullback to jump in and out as he pleases and bring in a massive spark of attack.

Stuart's use of the bench was odd maybe we doing trial or error or he just had a bad stuff up. Could be better but we are improving for once.

Minimal changes will be the best for us and whilst Young is good I think we will see Gidley slip in somewhere.

King has to go though....

Pete Cash

Post Whore
His form has been a bit poor but I mean at the end of the day he is a giant man and his greatest strength is his ability to wind up at the defensive line so the ball he gets from the diabolical Raiders hookers is a massive part of that. It was pretty telling that in city country where he was getting clean ball he was pretty epic.

Plus he was injured as Walt points out.

Frailty

First Grade
Dugan - 6.5 - Great defence positioning and under the high ball, despite one error.
Uate - 8/10 - Gun. Was making QLD nervous every time he got the ball
Gasnier - 5/10 - Attack was shit house- not dangerous in the slightest. Defence was solid though
Jennings - 8/10 - See Uate.
Morris - 3/10 - Horrible. Doesn't get himself involved, and that Yow Yeh try he let in was unforgivable. Has not performed at all in a Blues jersey.
Soward - 5/10 - Didn't get as involved as much as I would like to see him. Put in some good kicks.
Pearce - 5/10 - Defence was decent. That's all I can say for his game.
King - 3/10 - Provided nothing. Had no go forward and was smashed from pillar to post. Too old for the origin game.
Young - 5/10 - Decent club player. Not suited to Origin. Didn't offer anything.
Snowden - 6/10 - Pretty poor game from someone who is dangerous at club level. Needs to step up if he wants to cement his name in Origin. Did give a good sign when he looked like he had hurt his arm/shoulder but continued to get involved in the defensive line as QLD were attacking inside NSW 20. That's origin.
Scott - 7/10 - What a player he has become since leaving the Sharks. To think the backrow all were Sharks at some stage... f**k this club!
Bird - 7/10 - Good step and shuffle to break the Queensland line for the first try. But probably needed to do a bit more.
Gallen - 7.5/10 - Great work load and definitely the NSW leader. Needs a bit more work in motivating the players - he can't just lead by example. 0.5 taken off for that in goal pass.

Ennis - 6/10 - Aside from his hilarious mistake in dummy half, thought he had a decent impact and definitely added much needed pressure on the QLD halves.
Creagh - 5/10 - Powder puff. Still.
Merrin - 6/10 - Didn't see much of him, but that usually means a decent job where he did his role.
Mannah - 6.5/10 - Best NSW prop, but that wasn't hard.