What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW player ratings game 1

RedVDave

First Grade
Dugan 5/10 - Solid
Uate 7.5/10 - Really ripped in shame he did not get more ball
Gasnier 4.5/10 Could not get past Boyd not one of his better games
Jennings 8/10 Looked dangerous all night.
Morris 2/10 - I love Morris but last night will be a night to forget.
Soward 5/10 - Saved some trys and had a few good kicks, needed to kick more though.
Pearce 5/10 Had and up and down game.
King -1/10 - Was soft slow and dominated by the Qld pack namely Scott would be the only change I make as I don't want a repeat of previous years.
Young 5/10 Solid in defence, Should have played as 2nd rower IMO and less Hooker.
Snowden 5/10 - Solid but I think he might have been playing injured toward the end
Scott 8.5/10 One of NSW's best really ripped in and a massive workload
Bird 6.5/10 Another one that ripped in.
Gallen 8/10 Impressive big work load.

Ennis 4/10 A few errors but his service out of dummy half was solid.
Creagh 6.5/10 Looked good off the bench
Merrin 4/10 Little game time but did enough.
Mannah 5.5/10 Pretty impressed made some good runs.

I don't want this side to change at all as to many chopping and changing (as proven) over the years is a bad thing King has to go though.

D

Deleted member 10972

Morris out, Hayne in
Gasnier out, Idris in
King out, Tolman in
Merrin out, Learoyd-Lahrs in
Young out, Gidley in
Creagh out, Lewis in
Scott out, Heighington in

Suddenly it will be selecting form players, rather than selecting players from a form team.

Creagh, Morris and Scott were only picked because they were in the Australian team (Scott as 18th man) - but I didn't think any of them actually warranted selection for the Test team in the first place. Merrin and Gasnier were justifiably picked for SOO I, but struggled. Young is just rubbish - he is the Dragons equivalent of Alan Tongue. Plays with heart, but just DOES NOT have rep quality football in him.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamkungl

Immortal
Morris out, Hayne in
Gasnier out, Idris in
King out, Tolman in
Merrin out, Learoyd-Lahrs in
Young out, Gidley in
Creagh out, Lewis in
Scott out, Heighington in

No to the bolded.

Gaz shits all over Idris despite his quiet game last night, and Scott actually played well. And Heighno is shite. Even Tigers fans don't rate him anymore...I would drop King for TLL, Morris for Hayne, Creagh for Lewis and Young for Gidley/Farah.

CMUX

and for the record ill say that pearce and soward both did ok especially in defence and given they never really got any go forward from a monstered pack not much more could be expected

This is exactly right.

The problem remains the same and that is that we are getting smashed in the forwards and defending for large periods of time.

IMO Pearce was clearly better than Soward last night and I thought Soward had an indifferent debut BUT like every other NSW half over the last 5 years his opportunities were extremely limited and he spent most of his time tackling.

I am happy to stick with close to the exact team as last night except we need genuine game breakers, which last night’s team didn’t have. Hayne and Carney are 2 players that on their day can win a game on their own and rip the opposition apart. So I would like to see Hayne replace Morris and Carney as a utility on the bench. I would also give consideration to slotting Idris in somewhere if possible.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
f**k me, this place is full of idiots.

Looking at the ratings you fools are dishing out, you'd think NSW had played in Sydney and lost to a bunch of park footballers by 30 points ...

Oh wait, we were ahead 12-10 with 10 to go against the best QLD Origin side in history??

1) NSW had nothing until Soward was finally able to start controlling the play, and King came off for Mannah.

2) Apart from Morris' massive f**kup, he was solid with everything he did .. but that one error is enough for him to be dropped for Hayne IMO.

3) Young's defence kept us in the match in the first 20 ... unlike last year, we weren't 20-0 down after 18 minutes .. a lot of that was due to some desperate last-ditch defence from Young, who pulled off at least 3 excellent try/line-break-saving tackles in that opening period. Everyone already knows that he is not an attacking hooker .. did you blokes expect him to set up line breaks?!

4) Our right-edge defence was impregnable .. Scott, Soward, Gasnier, Uate ... QLD had absolutely nothing on that side ... did Boyd even touch the ball??

5) We were beaten largely due to our weak left-edge defence, as that's where QLD got most of their metres and made most of their offloads.

6) Out of this entire team, I would drop King for anyone (Weyman, Hunt, Douglas, TLL, Galloway, ANYONE!), and Morris for Hayne. Lewis probably needs a spot, Creagh is the only option to be dropped as they are like-for-like players. Not sure what to do with Gidley, because he cannot play hooker as our defence falls apart whenever he does.

CMUX

4) Our right-edge defence was impregnable .. Scott, Soward, Gasnier, Uate ... QLD had absolutely nothing on that side ... did Boyd even touch the ball??

You mean until the winning try?

The left edge conceded one try due to Morris’ geniusation.

Get your Dragons blinkers off.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
You mean until the winning try?

The left edge conceded one try due to Morris’ geniusation.

Get your Dragons blinkers off.
Umm ... the winning try that came in the middle of the field because Gallen was too tired to push across?! Please, tell me what part of that try was due to our right-edge defence of Soward, Scott, Gasnier and Uate ....

Read what I wrote about Morris you muppet ..

Goddo

Bench
Dugan - 6/10
Uate - 8/10
Gasnier - 5/10 - solid defence, very well contained by Boyd
Jennings - 8/10
Morris - 3/10 - didn't see the ball much but made an almighty cluster fk
Soward - 6/10 - what he did was good, but Boyd read him like a book. Stifled by no go forward from props.
Pearce - 6/10 - serviceable, but a liability in defence in first half.
King - 0/10 - dreadful, but as unfortunately expected
Young - 6/10 - solid, but not outstanding. Good defence early.
Snowden - 6/10 - quiet game, needs to do more
Scott - 8/10 - the second row was outstanding
Bird - 9/10
Gallen - 8/10

Ennis - 5/10 - made an impact as fresh legs in defence, but had little creativity in attack
Creagh - 6/10 - good, but didn't get much of a run
Merrin - 5/10 - same as Creagh
Mannah - 6/10 - was probably best of the props

The most ironic thing here is Dragqueens fans praising Soward for his defence, where they were bagging Pearce before state of origin for being picked only for his defence :lol:

Pearce shat on Soward from a great height in all aspects of the game and all NSW fans who aren't merge fans can see that

gregstar

Referee
00022138-photo.jpg

Goddo

Bench
The most ironic thing here is Dragqueens fans praising Soward for his defence, where they were bagging Pearce before state of origin for being picked only for his defence :lol:

Pearce shat on Soward from a great height in all aspects of the game and all NSW fans who aren't merge fans can see that

Geez you are so in love with Pearce its not funny. I don't think anyone said that of Pearce. He needed to be there because he is a righty and a good left side half.

Both halves did little in attack mainly because they didn't get good momentum from the props.

Kicking was average from Pearce, not sure why he was doing so much of it early. So many bombs falling 20-25m out from the try line...

Queensland obviously decided to hit the NSW left side hard, they identified Pearce as a liability. He and the side in general handled it poorly early, but were much better in the second half.

Soward played his normal role for St George in Defence - coming off the line at centre in overlaps to shut out passes with the winger moving inwards, falling back in on the line play to act like a second fullback.

How big was his drop out late in first half? must have been +60m distance wise, landing around the Qld 45m mark.

Geez you are so in love with Pearce its not funny. I don't think anyone said that of Pearce. He needed to be there because he is a righty and a good left side half.

Both halves did little in attack mainly because they didn't get good momentum from the props.

Kicking was average from Pearce, not sure why he was doing so much of it early. So many bombs falling 20-25m out from the try line...

Queensland obviously decided to hit the NSW left side hard, they identified Pearce as a liability. He and the side in general handled it poorly early, but were much better in the second half.

Soward played his normal role for St George in Defence - coming off the line at centre in overlaps to shut out passes with the winger moving inwards, falling back in on the line play to act like a second fullback.

How big was his drop out late in first half? must have been +60m distance wise, landing around the Qld 45m mark.

Lets just say if Pearce played the way Soward did then 99% of blues fans would be calling for his head.

JT_

Juniors
The halves did well, Soward expectedly looked a bit daunted but I thought he showed some good moments and Pearce did well with the limited opportunities.

If the game was lost it was the soft forwards yet again not putting their hands up, bar Gallen, Bird, and Scott. I thought in the last 10 min the forwards looked a bit tired and Qld exploited that, it seemed like after we were up 12-10 the team lost a bit of energy.

Goddo

Bench
The halves did well, Soward expectedly looked a bit daunted but I thought he showed some good moments and Pearce did well with the limited opportunities.

If the game was lost it was the soft forwards yet again not putting their hands up, bar Gallen, Bird, and Scott. I thought in the last 10 min the forwards looked a bit tired and Qld exploited that, it seemed like after we were up 12-10 the team lost a bit of energy.

Agreed. First 3 blokes picked for origin II should be Scott, Bird, Gallen.