What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Police footy side Newtown Jets.

2 True Blues

Coach
For the last couple of months there has been talk sent via internal memo to gain interest for the revival of the Newtown Police footy side.

The NSW Police footy comp used to be a tough and rumble no holds barred affair in yester year, however due to the many wimps currently employed in the NSW Police Service ( used to be known as the NSW Pol/ FORCE ), when injured playing the game currently a player uses his sick leave ( which now adays is dismal to what it used to be ), whereas when injured playing Police footy was once covered under HOD. This has lessoned the quality of play in that many players have a lot to lose if injured and has detered many from taking part at the intense level of yester year.

Changes in conditions to officers employed after 1988 when injured amount to a few petty crumbs and a thanks for coming, now PISS OFF, go and get a job with your one good leg delivering pizza's. Whereas officers pre-1988 are covered for serious career ending injuries with suitable compensation.

This all had a factor in reducing the Police footy competition, which in it's hey day was a great comp and fierce contest.

That being said, interest in the re-entry of the Newtown side has been intense. The boundaries for regions has changed drastically in recent times also, and this would incorporate the inner City station area as well. City central ( for eg ) and out to areas such as Mascot ( for eg ).

Word months ago was that certain members approached the Newtown club management and word is that The club has agreed to donate certain monies to the side ( small amount though much appreciated ) and allow them to use HENSON PARK as their home ground for home matches, and utilise training facilities etc.

Last night's memo is as follows ( printed from work internal memo system ):

The New South Wales Police Rugby League AGM was held on Tuesday 22nd of November. A lot of doscussion took place in relation to the format of next years competition, and at this stage it looks highly possible that there may be a 10 team competition, which would include Newtown.

I have indicated to the NSWPRL that Newtown WILL have a side. However a committee must be formed. Ideally I would like this to happen before the new year.

So I would like to invite everybody on this list to the Jets Club on Tuesday 13th December 2005 for an informal BBQ and Beers, with the possibility of a game of touch footy. Feel free to bring families etc. The night will kickoff at around 6.30pm-7.00pm.

(It goes on but that is the jist of it ).

(Signed)

Cheers

Jon STONE
Mascot Police.

The days of the great Chika MOORE when he played in the old comp may be gone, but I think it's good that the side may be back in the comp. There is a cast of hundreds on the list with many quality players the likes of ex 1st grader Rod SILVA for eg.

Obviously the extra wear and tear on the oval would be a bad thing, but I think the positives far out weigh this. They would play their home games on a Sunday, and word is that they would wear the Royal Blue.

At the very least the drink sales at the Jets Sports Club would increase..LOL...

Anyway thought you guys would find it interesting......

********ALSO NOTE THE DATE, THE SAME NIGHT AS THE PLANNED SUPPORTERS CLUB MEETING ***************

Jeffles

Bench
It will be good to see the police side come back.

I don't know if Bumper Farrell was involved but I did hear that Col Murphy once coached the Newtown PRL side - probably as part of a plea bargain!

Tempe Reserve will be used as a home ground when Henson Park is unavailable.

carlisle

Juniors
Police Football:Was it 1980 or 81 when Newtown beat Fivedock in the GF at Redfern.. What a game. Newtown were gooone at half time but with the brilliance of Floyd,Oliveira,Saville,Bumper & dont forget big Peter Hardgrove on the wing, they clawed them back for an unforgetable win.. Who has anymore info??

2TB's, any idea on how many people would come along to the Police footy do at the Jets Sports Club on the 13th as it may hinder the supporters club meeting if there is a cast of thousands?

2 True Blues

Coach
On the list that the memo was sent to was about 80 names mate. Don't expect that many to go though due to people being rostered to work etc ( shift work ) though if people bring their familes etc there may be quite a few.

Then again most coppers are bachelors anyway mate...LOL......

I would not change the meetin time HPH as the club will be big enough and the back room could probably also be utilised.

Besides knowing coppers there probably won't be that many attending the meeting anyway. My geuss would be about 30 to 40 at the most mate.

2 True Blues

Coach
No mate. I wouldnt worry about them tryin to sneak in with the humans at all. Should still be a good night. Maybe they will need to put on some extra bar staff though.

I unfortunately will not be able to go so keep me posted on proceedings mate. Thanks.