What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW state of origin team 2010

RedVDave

First Grade
I would not rule out Costigan getting picked for Queensland either.
Surely Boyd will be there!

j0nesy

Bench
That team is awful jonesy.

Haha, would beat the living sh*t out of your team of powder puffs ;-)

How the f**k can you pick Barrett, have you not watched a cronulla game all year?

Yeah Cronulla are sh*t. Barrett has no backline talent around him whatsoever at Cronulla, so you can't judge him based on Cronulla's performance. As much as it pains me to say it, as I am not a Barrett fan, Barrett has done well whenever he as played Origin and is the incumbent. I'd consider swapping him for Bird as a straight swap if his form was really bad leading in to Origin. Campese can play 5/8th, but in that case I'd pick a more experienced halfback, such as Kimmorely. I just don't want two young, inexperienced halves in the same team, nor do I want anyone playing out of position in the halves.

O'Donnell and Gallen in the same side is a recipe for disaster.

On the penalty front you mean? Could be, but whether we like it or not they are both very good footballers. I think the NSW selectors need to take that gamble to beat QLD.

Carney at fullback for Origin is just asking to lose. Plus there is no way in hell our captain from last season wont make the team.

Carney is killing it at fullback for his club. However, I can live with Gidley there if he's fully recovered.

But in my opinion picking a bloke like Carney, that is not even a club 5/8th, in such a vital position as 5/8th is asking to lose.

Brett White hasnt played a game for Melbourne so far this year so he will find it near impossible to make the team.

Yep I agree which is why I picked Douglas on the bench and said White if fit. White would have to come back and set the world on fire to take that bench spot and he's running out of time. There are other bench front row options that I can live with.

Lawrence is so ridiculously over-rated its beyond a joke and they will never pick Cooper again.

Lawrence is not overrated by me. I'm not sure who overrates him. He is just an above average first grade centre, who is honest, fast, tough and can tackle. Better than a nancy boy who looks pretty and has done nothing against quality opposition. As for Cooper - why wont NSW pick him? We need good defensive centres that can form combinations with our wingers (B. Morris and Hayne) and mark up up on the likes Inglis, Falou and Hodges.

hardbaby

Coach
1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Jennings
4. Lyon
5. Morris
6. Lewis
7. Pearce
8. Weyman
9. Farah
10. Douglas
11. Watmough
12. Creagh
13. Gallen

14. Bird
15. Tolman
16. Gidley
17. Laffranchi

They may choose one more prop and ditch Laffranchi (Bird can handle backfrow reserve)

saint-colesy

Juniors
Carney has played 6 games at fullback for Easts and you want him at fullback in the hardest game of all?

They will bomb him all night long and make a joke out of him.

As for O'Donnell and Gallen i meant in terms of defence, both are attacking, ball running second rowers, whos going to do all the defence in your side jonesy?

As for Barrett, well he may play solid and try his heart out, but he isnt going to win us the series.

I agree with you about Cooper, but i just dont see them picking him.

j0nesy

Bench
Carney has played 6 games at fullback for Easts and you want him at fullback in the hardest game of all?

They will bomb him all night long and make a joke out of him.

He's done well when tested at the back for Easts. I was told he'd played some of his lower grade footy at Canberra at fullback?

Carney hasn't played any games at 5/8th this season. From memory that's where you wanted him, and that's where I initially considered him and have named him in a pervious SOO team that I came up with, but have since changed my mind. As I said previously I can live with Gidley if he gets enough matches under his belt. Otherwise I just like the combination that Carney forms with Pearce without throwing two young experinced players alongside one another in the no.6 and no.7.

As for O'Donnell and Gallen i meant in terms of defence, both are attacking, ball running second rowers, whos going to do all the defence in your side jonesy?

Both make 30-odd tackles per game and don't make many missed tackles. Certainly better defensively than a guy like Watmough. I named an all forwards bench, my thoughts were that that the defensive workload could be shared around, much like it is at the Dragons.

As for Barrett, well he may play solid and try his heart out, but he isnt going to win us the series.

He was good in the last series and I think he could form a good combination with Pearce. He will also be a steadying influence over Pearce and wont let us down defensively.

I agree with you about Cooper, but i just dont see them picking him.

Yeah they may want to blood younger centres. I just put forward the team that I think should be picked, I have not attempted to read the selector's minds.

Here goes my SOO team

1. Gidley (Would prefer him on bench & Carney at FB but can't see them dropping the Capt)
2. Hayne (has to be in the team, has been awesome here in the past)
3. Scott (just in front of Cooper, need to cancel out the GI factor.)
4 Morris (in combination with his twin brother)
5 Morris (see above)
6. Bird (Can't beat his mongrel and aggression, a tough nut)
7. Pearce (only real option moving forward)
8. Weyman (Solid, good work rate)
9. Ennis (incumbent and done nothing wrong this year, just in front of Farrar)
10. Bailey (very high work rate, possible 80 min player, need his experience)
11. Watmough (size, strength, experience and incumbent)
12. Creagh (as above)
13. Gallen ( see Bird above, Qld would rather he didn't play)

14. Laffanci (can cover front and second row, experienced and high workrate)
15. Gallaway (doing everything right at club footy, just in front of Jason King
16. White (experience otherwise Douglas or Hunt
17. Lewis (can he cover for the coach? maybe only position he can't cover.

Unfortunately couldn't find room for Jennings, Campese, Carney, Farrar, Tongue or Lawrence

Doug2234

First Grade
welcome to the forums.

i cant see pearce playing Origin 1... he will struggle to be back in time. maybe 1 week before with no match fitness.

dragonfire

Bench
Dugan
Hayne
Lewis
Cooper
Morris
Bird
Barrett/Kimmorley???? NFI
Weyman
Ennis
Bailey