What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW state of origin team 2010

Steel Dragon

Bench
may not be the best but are pretty firey and give there all.

1. J. Dugan
2. W. McKinnon
3. A. MacDougall
4. B. Scott
5. B. Morris
6. G. Bird
7. ???
8. M. Weyman
9. A. Tongue
10. L. Stuart
11. N. Hindmarsh
12. B. Creagh
13. L. O'Donnell

14. P. Gallen
15. T.Waterhouse
16. D. Young
17. S. Simpson

1. Sheesh! Maybe. Would be a baptism of fire for the kid. Coote (i think) played well on Sunday. Bottom line is bugger off Hayne.
2. McKinnon! Give him a run at 1. Plays hard for the Warriors would stand up at origin. Big tick from me
3. Hmmm Mad dog might be a bit passed it for mine. Dell'd never hear the end of it if he got picked now.
4. Would be nice to see him monster GI.
5. Can we get a team full of Morrises?
6. OK i concede we need Bird. He does bring a decent level of mongrel.
8. Hell yeah!
9. As above.
10. Refer to 8
11. Ditto
12. And again.
13. Seriously how good is the potential in this blues pack!?!

14. Gawd I hate him. In our 'Inglourious Basterd Blues' he'd probably get a run though.
15. I do like the 'House, but might be a bit early back after injury. Might not too.
16. How good would it be to get big daddys Young and Morris in the shed to fire up the boys?!?
17. Always tough as teak.

I do like Ennis. For me, he's a new age Ben Elias. A brilliant niggler and very creative in and around the ruck. I'd have him in 9 and Toungie on the bench for utility value.

Is Preston a 'Welshman? He's a tough little blighter and i'd love him at the helm of my Basterd Blues.
I'd probably have Luke Lewis in there somewhere, he's solid and can play anywhere.
Laffranchi has always had a lot of potential and its hard to rule out Whatmough and Glenn Stewart as tough Basterds!

And as you said - may not be the best, but theyre firey.
To me, that is exactly QLD's approach. Tony Carrol and Mick Crocker were to me slightly above average club players, but hot damn if they didnt dominate in a maroon jersey.

st.phil

Bench
Finch as captain!?!?!

Tell him he's dreaming!

him as in me...or brett...or the son from the castle? Anyhow...I think he would do a good job...NSW has a lot of talen but not many leaders. Played GFs and origins and talks a lot. Who is your choice?

STG-Dragon

Juniors
This thread is the exact reason why NSW have lost 4 in a row, NSW finally picked the right side for SOO3 and we belted them! If we stick to a very similar side with a few additions such as B.Morris and T.Carney etc, we will win the series easy.

RedVDave

First Grade
Some good teams here guys but thats the problem their too good NSW always slect the worst possible teams not that I care about SOO all I care about is St. George but here is what your team will probably look like

1. Gidley (C)
2. Quinn
3. Tahu
4. Lyon
5. Hayne
6. Barrett
7. Kimmorley
8. Cross
9. Ennis
10. Poore
11. Gallen
12. Stewart
13. O' Donnell

14. Ryan
15. Watmough
16. Bailey
17. Anasta

Ok, so most of those were just taking the piss but you get the idea players generally get picked on hes been there before type theory, It's going to be 5-0 to Queensland.

jpaciocco91

Juniors
1. Hayne
2. B. Morris
3. Tahu
4. J. Morris
5. Merritt
6. Anasta
7. Soward
8. Weyman
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Watmough
12. Creagh
13. Bird

14. Carney
15. Campese
16. O'Donnell
17. Waterhouse

big pat

Coach
1. Hayne
2. B. Morris
3. Tahu
4. J. Morris
5. Merritt
6. Anasta
7. Soward
8. Weyman
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Watmough
12. Creagh
13. Bird

14. Carney
15. Campese
16. O'Donnell
17. Waterhouse

i know its just an opinion, but really merritt,taha,anasta, surely nsw can do better than that.

jpaciocco91

Juniors
I don't see what's wrong with Merritt, but maybe Beau Scott instead of Tahu (based on current form) and Soward at #6 and Kimmorley at halfback

Mr Red

First Grade
all i know is the following:

you need to remember Bellamy is coach and he has his favourites... therefore the following should be considered..

- tolman will be on the bench is he stays fit
- there will be a big push for Carney to be in the team... possibly at 6 to partner his roosters team mate pearce at half.
- Brett white will be in the team if fit
- Gidley could be a surprise selection at hooker given the coach loves him, but Hayne should get the fullback role.
- Farrah on the bench
- Anthony Quinn will get a wing spot if he stays fit (also a fav of Bellamy)

1. Hayne
2. B Morris
3. J. Morris
4. Lawrence
5. Merit
6. Bird
7. Carney
8. weyman
9. Farrah
10. Galloway
11. Creagh
12. Watmough
13. Gallen

14. Scott
15. Lars
16. Lewis
17. Waterhouse

15. Lee Roy Lars
16. Lewis
17. Douglas

borat

Bench
1. Gidley
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lyon
5. B Morris
6. Bird
7. Carney
8. Weyman
9. Ennis
10. B Cross
11. Creagh
12. Watmough
13. Gallen

14. Douglas
15. Tupou
16. Lewis
17. Waterhouse

stg666

Juniors
1. hayne
2.jennings [would be the fastest winger on the field]
3.scott
4.j moz
5.b moz
6.barrett
7.kimmorley
8.horse
9.farrah
10.white
11.whatmough
12.creagh
13.gallen

14.hornby [a champion with passion that could cover many positions]
15.o'donnell
16.galloway
17.bird

a few out of the box ....

Spot On

Coach
all i know is the following:

you need to remember Bellamy is coach and he has his favourites... therefore the following should be considered..

- tolman will be on the bench is he stays fit
- there will be a big push for Carney to be in the team... possibly at 6 to partner his roosters team mate pearce at half.
- Brett white will be in the team if fit
- Gidley could be a surprise selection at hooker given the coach loves him, but Hayne should get the fullback role.
- Farrah on the bench
- Anthony Quinn will get a wing spot if he stays fit (also a fav of Bellamy)

I wouldn't be suprised if Gidley warms the bench and is used to interchange with Farah.

Mong

Post Whore
This thread is the exact reason why NSW have lost 4 in a row, NSW finally picked the right side for SOO3 and we belted them! If we stick to a very similar side with a few additions such as B.Morris and T.Carney etc, we will win the series easy.

You won't win the series easily.. or at all..

The only thing that brings NSW back into would be injuries to QLD players.

Otherwise it's going to be 5 in a row.

big pat

Coach
1. hayne
2.jennings [would be the fastest winger on the field]
3.scott
4.j moz
5.b moz
6.barrett
7.kimmorley
8.horse
9.farrah
10.white
11.whatmough
12.creagh
13.gallen

14.hornby [a champion with passion that could cover many positions]
15.o'donnell
16.galloway
17.bird

a few out of the box ....

hornby has announced he is retiring from rep footy.

dclayw

Juniors
What's the love-in with most people having Hayne at fullback FFS, or is the idea of this thread to pick a team based on what you think the selectors will do. Hayne is NOT a fullback. He has given away a quite a few tries this year due to poor (=NFI) positional play, even his teammates get up him about it. Do you think it's going to be any different if he plays fullback for NSW? Do you think QLD might be looking to exploit that? Hayne should be in the team, but as a winger.

I'm no fan of Gidley either, give Dugan a go, great young promising player who knows how to play the position. What is there to lose, young players have to be blooded sometime. Using the same old formulas is not going to work for NSW.

What's the love-in with most people having Hayne at fullback FFS, or is the idea of this thread to pick a team based on what you think the selectors will do. Hayne is NOT a fullback. He has given away a quite a few tries this year due to poor (=NFI) positional play, even his teammates get up him about it. Do you think it's going to be any different if he plays fullback for NSW? Do you think QLD might be looking to exploit that? Hayne should be in the team, but as a winger.

I'm no fan of Gidley either, give Dugan a go, great young promising player who knows how to play the position. What is there to lose, young players have to be blooded sometime. Using the same old formulas is not going to work for NSW.

I agree with what your saying about Hayne, he's not a fullback... he needs to be in the 17 somewhere though...

Dugan will be future Australian fullback, great player, i think he needs 1 more season in first grade before rep honours...

dclayw

Juniors
NSW are short on quality fullbacks atm, halflbacks too. In fact we're short on quality players in several positions, probably the main reason we keep losing the series. Selectors just can't seem to settle on a combination. I would rather Dugan at fullback with his inexperience then Hayne who has NFI about playing fullback. To be honest there's not much else to choose from (but that's not the reason I chose Dugan)

I don't think they would go too far wrong giving Dugan a shot. Plenty of options if it went bellyup, Bmoz could slot back to fullback, or even Hayne if worst came to worst. If NSW do pick players like Dugan, they need to persist with it and nurture these players. We have blooded players like Mullen, Campese in recent times but haven't gone on with it. I'd have Barrett at five-eight, but I'd seriously think about giving Campese another shot too.

Godz Illa

Coach
Listen, not that I care a great deal, but imo it's pretty obvious how they'll go. They'll pick Hayne and Gidley at 1 & 2. Gidley fullback in defence, wing in attack, Hayne fullback in attack, wing defence

dclayw

Juniors
Yeah I know, that's probably what they'll do, but how many more series do you think they need to lose before the selectors wake up. Selections are a big part of the lack of success in recent years, the other big part is simply lack of talent in key positions. What's compounded the problem is the chopping and changing and the hitting of panic buttons to try and get those key positions downpat. The end result is the same old strategies and the same old hacks = the same old result. QLD will win it again this year even though they have been seriously hit with injury.

boxa777

Coach
Listen, not that I care a great deal, but imo it's pretty obvious how they'll go. They'll pick Hayne and Gidley at 1 & 2. Gidley fullback in defence, wing in attack, Hayne fullback in attack, wing defence

Interesting concept but I don't see Gidley attacking from the wing. I reckon he will play at five-eighth.

Not that I care either.