What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

big hit!

Bench
I'm not sold on Dugan at centre just yet.
There is a big step up from playing the last placed under strength Sharks to playing 8 series in a row QLD.

I was thinking Walker is too young, but his performance tonight swayed me and I think he should get the nod, Hoppa on the wing.

With Bird coming back, I would drop Hoffman. Bird on the left edge, Lewis on the right with Scott on the bench.

Both Hoffman & Scott are starters, not benchies. If you don't put them in the run-on side, then leave them out completely.

They are crucial to Daley's structure and shoring up the edges. Scott was exposed in open play by guys like Slater (who isn't), but in the line he was solid and was integral in the Blues coming away from Lang Park with a win in the end. Furthermore, Daley isn't going to unsettle Reynolds and the right side even further with the Moz twins already gone. Scott will start and will start as the right forward. The decision will come down to who he picks as right centre and right wing. Just like Game 1, we need speed and threat here.

I'm expect both Hoffman & Scott to be selected again and as starting left & right forwards. I reckon the change will come in the middle of the ground with Bird starting here and pushing one of Tamou or Woods to the bench. Gallen will stay here, just with #8 or #10 on his back. The bench will then be Lewis, Watmough, Merrin, Tamou/Woods, and leaving Fifita out of the team completely.

FB - Hayne
RW - *
RC - *
LC - Jennings
LW - Tupou
RH - Reynolds
LH - Hodkinson
AH - Farah
PF - Gallen
PF - Woods/Tamou
MF - Bird
RF - Scott
LF - Hoffman
I - Lewis
I - Watmough
I - Merrin
I - Tamou/Woods

Last edited:

BranVan3000

Coach
You have to consider who would Mal prefer we selected, he will be cheering if we end up with Scott in the centers and McManus on the wing as Daley seemed to be hinting at

Sujskiez

Juniors
Eels tried it, and gave it a decent crack too, all it achieved was to push him closer to the ruck and mainly limited him to a single side. Which is exactly what you'd expect it to do when you think about it.

Yeh they did try but eels roster at that time was so bad and it still is where they can't find a fb to replace hayne but in nsw its different story you have stewart who can cover for hayne and hayne can take the position of 5/8 and get into the maroons face. I have a feeling he would be much more effective there for nsw as nsw rosters now have so many x-factor players such as hoopate, jennings, morrris brother and even stewart who is also a support player

no name

Coach
Both Hoffman & Scott are starters, not benchies. If you don't put them in the run-on side, then leave them out completely.

They are crucial to Daley's structure and shoring up the edges. Scott was exposed in open play by guys like Slater (who isn't), but in the line he was solid and was integral in the Blues coming away from Lang Park with a win in the end. Furthermore, Daley isn't going to unsettle Reynolds and the right side even further with the Moz twins already gone. Scott will start and will start as the right forward. The decision will come down to who he picks as right centre and right wing. Just like Game 1, we need speed and threat here.

I'm expect both Hoffman & Scott to be selected again and as starting left & right forwards. I reckon the change will come in the middle of the ground with Bird starting here and pushing one of Tamou or Woods to the bench. Gallen will stay here, just with #8 or #10 on his back. The bench will then be Lewis, Watmough, Merrin, Tamou/Woods, and leaving Fifita out of the team completely.

FB - Hayne
RW - *
RC - *
LC - Jennings
LW - Tupou
RH - Reynolds
LH - Hodkinson
AH - Farah
PF - Gallen
PF - Woods/Tamou
MF - Bird
RF - Scott
LF - Hoffman
I - Lewis
I - Watmough
I - Merrin
I - Tamou/Woods

Bird is far more effective on the left edge then in the middle.
Hoffman did squat in the first game so he has to go.
Ideally I don't really want Scott starting on the right but I wouldn't be as against it as Hoffman on the left.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Yeh they did try but eels roster at that time was so bad and it still is where they can't find a fb to replace hayne but in nsw its different story you have stewart who can cover for hayne and hayne can take the position of 5/8 and get into the maroons face. I have a feeling he would be much more effective there for nsw as nsw rosters now have so many x-factor players such as hoopate, jennings, morrris brother and even stewart who is also a support player

I might be wrong, but i believe that NSW has a winning record in games that Hayne has been fullback. For 5 years knowledgeable fans have been screaming for him to be given the FB position for the series so we have a chance to win. While he is effective anywhere, he is dominant at FB.

He is fit, why the hell would we not pick him at FB????????

Are you Bob Fulton?

PhilGould

Bench
Pat Richards kick-offs and goal kicks alone should put him in contention. Didn't see the Dragons last night so I can't comment on Dugan, but Dylan Walker is in outstanding form and should be there, especially if Inglis is out or playing fullback.

Dragon_Taylor6

Juniors
Pat Richards kick-offs and goal kicks alone should put him in contention. Didn't see the Dragons last night so I can't comment on Dugan, but Dylan Walker is in outstanding form and should be there, especially if Inglis is out or playing fullback.

Dugan was very good last night. However, that Sharks team would have to be one of the worst NRL teams of the last 10 years. So, I would not read to much into it.

Sime_11

Juniors
Hopoate and mansour, I'd pick McManus but mansour with those table breaks are what nsw needed as we had trouble getting out of our own half, he will be even more effective seeing as it looks as inglis is out.

But of course never under estimate Qld and wait till the Qld side is picked!!!

hardbaby

Coach
Hopoate and mansour, I'd pick McManus but mansour with those table breaks are what nsw needed as we had trouble getting out of our own half, he will be even more effective seeing as it looks as inglis is out.

But of course never under estimate Qld and wait till the Qld side is picked!!!

I reckon it will be Hoppa at centre and Dugan on the wing. I am a massive Walker fan but they were unlikely to pick a 19 year old and now he is injured. Dugan and Hoppa will both be in this team for years to come. I reckon they'll pick them.

timka4

Bench
I reckon it will be Hoppa at centre and Dugan on the wing. I am a massive Walker fan but they were unlikely to pick a 19 year old and now he is injured. Dugan and Hoppa will both be in this team for years to come. I reckon they'll pick them.
I agree with this and it will be this

Sucks that Walker is injured. I'd now have

4. Jack Wighton
5. Will Hopoate

Does anyone know when the team is named? Is it Tuesday?

Last edited:

Big_nick

Juniors
Hoppa is way too slow and will get dominated in origin (if he is against inglis). Sadly I think that's about all we have left.. As good as mansour is at taking hit ups when 'in trouble' we don't need that as much in origin, he has massive defensive lapses that I think will prevent him from being picked (at least for now).. I think it will be Dugan and Hoppa.

BennyV

Referee
Dugan should be wing, not centre. He would be fine either way in terms of defense, but in attack he has issues passing, particularly left to right. Also, as a winger we would benefit from his kick returns and metre eating coming out of our end, as well as the fact that he can jump like nobodies business.

betcats

Referee
Penrith ran rings around him. He is a yard or two slower atleast then when he last played origin, needs another year imo but im not sure who a better option is.

mxlegend99

Referee
Hopoate is in very poor form after his name has popped up toward the top of the list for Origin. If he can't handle Isaah Yeo for the Panthers, how do we expect him to perform at the highest level? His effort against Cowboys didn't look much better from what I saw either.

I think the safest option is to move Luke Lewis to right centre. He won't let the team down... and has Origin experience. If Josh Dugan gets a run there we will lose the game before the ball has even been kicked off. A few tries against a Sharks side missing 13 first graders doesn't mean he is ready to do it in State of Origin.

I also believe Josh Mansour would be the best option for the right wing. He's a metre eater and can score tries when the opportunity presents itself. Given it rarely does in State of Origin, atleast he will still have a lot to offer the team in 150+ metres gained, multiple offloads and tackle breaks. He's in great form right now and I see that as a far smaller gamble then picking a bloke who played Origin 3 years ago, has been out of the game in 2 years since and has yet to get back to the form he had before he left.

BranVan3000

Coach
Hoppa will get dominated? You mean like how he got dominated last time?

Hoppa was the in form outside back of the competition last time he wa selected

Since then he has lost a clip of pace and his defence is terrible

Wighton should be in front of Hoppa. I'd go Wighton Dugan