What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

Sujskiez

Juniors
I'd love to know which position Hayne himself considers is best for him at origin level. The position he really wants to play. People have him slotted in four different positions. I'd like to see him continue where he left off from the World Cup - in the centres on the condition he'll actually see some quality ball. I'd also like to see the back of Jennings and Morris. Can someone please write Jamie Lyon a cheque for whatever he wants so we can get him into this squad? Someone promise him that if he plays for NSW, then his mate Glenn Stewart can stay with Manly till he's 40!!!

:lol::pray: that he accepts the cheque and the offer from daily that glen would stay at manly

Springs

First Grade
there is practically no difference between a FE and HB these days. they can pick two guys who play in #6, or two guys who play in #7 at club level. that doesn't matter. the important thing is to make sure they've got two guys who are comfortable on the side of the field they're going to primarily attack and defend, and at least one of them can kick.

There's plenty. You only have to look at the difference between Robson and Carney's games.
Not everyone just plays with split halves.

Sujskiez

Juniors
Maybe we can even offer gidley and pearce a check for whatever they want to stay away from origin.:lol::sarcasm:

big hit!

Bench
I'd love to know which position Hayne himself considers is best for him at origin level. The position he really wants to play. People have him slotted in four different positions. I'd like to see him continue where he left off from the World Cup - in the centres on the condition he'll actually see some quality ball. I'd also like to see the back of Jennings and Morris. Can someone please write Jamie Lyon a cheque for whatever he wants so we can get him into this squad? Someone promise him that if he plays for NSW, then his mate Glenn Stewart can stay with Manly till he's 40!!!

His best position for NSW is the position he can get most ball.

Can't compare playing centre for AUS with guys like Cronk, Thurston, Smith etc inside him, with the no mans land of playing centre for NSW.

big hit!

Bench
There's plenty. You only have to look at the difference between Robson and Carney's games.
Not everyone just plays with split halves.

You can't compare the chasm of class between robson and carney with what is required from both halves at Origin level. If you don't have halves who take control on their side of the field at rep level, then forget it. Look at Thurston and Cronk. In open side plays from the left, Thurston is 1st receiver. When it comes from the right, it's Cronk. They're not necessarily split in attack. They just have their sides which they organise.

I wouldn't say its working for Cronulla at the mo anyway.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
His best position for NSW is the position he can get most ball.

Can't compare playing centre for AUS with guys like Cronk, Thurston, Smith etc inside him, with the no mans land of playing centre for NSW.

My query was one wondering what Hayne himself would want to play in the origin team. I'd love to know the answer. I'd like to know what he sees/feels is his best position.

I also said I'd like to see him in the centres on the condition HE GETS QUALITY BALL. I never compared Pearce and Maloney's service it to playing outside Thurston and co.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
My query was one wondering what Hayne himself would want to play in the origin team. I'd love to know the answer. I'd like to know what he sees/feels is his best position.

I also said I'd like to see him in the centres on the condition HE GETS QUALITY BALL. I never compared Pearce and Maloney's service it to playing outside Thurston and co.

hasn't he already said before that it's FB?

and referenced the world cup. one of the best players in your team is wasted in the centres when you know very well that he's relying on inconsistent deliver of getting quality ball out that way. he was great for AUS there because of the personnel inside him, and the organisation they provide.

In recent years for NSW, the ball gets out there in one or two passes from the ruck or in broken down play. It has rarely got out there in an organised backline manner.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
hasn't he already said before that it's FB?

one of the best players in your team is wasted in the centres when you know very well that he's relying on inconsistent deliver of getting quality ball out that way. he was great for AUS there because of the personnel inside him, and the organisation they provide.

In recent years for NSW, the ball gets out there in one or two passes from the ruck or in broken down play. It has rarely got out there in an organised backline manner.

Don't know. That's why I'm asking.

I'm aware he received quality ball at the World Cup. He played outside the player of the tournament. Amazing coincidence.

That said, I'd rather see Hayne in the centres and Dugan at fullback if both are fit and firing. Hopefully we'll have a halves paring capable of organising and passing this year.

big hit!

Bench
Don't know. That's why I'm asking.

I'm aware he received quality ball at the World Cup. He played outside the player of the tournament. Amazing coincidence.

That said, I'd rather see Hayne in the centres and Dugan at fullback if both are fit and firing. Hopefully we'll have a halves paring capable of organising and passing this year.

that's not a bad suggestion. load up the backline with a couple of x-factors. I just think Hayne should be the one getting the ball more and he can do that at FB

Spot On

Coach
that's not a bad suggestion. load up the backline with a couple of x-factors. I just think Hayne should be the one getting the ball more and he can do that at FB

Just on the fullback position, I think Dugan is a better ball returner but is not a pinch on Hayne as a ball player. Quite frankly, Dugan should stay the f**k out of any attacking raids as he usually kills the play or gives horrible service. Hayne is a freak in that regard.

Depends what you want to go with I suppose. I'd want the best ball returner we possibly have to counter the range and depth of kicking QLD have. Just return the ball as well as is possible. That's Dugan's go. Then I'd want enough fire power in my backline to actually score some points.

Obviously this is tied to our halves but I think we have a couple of blokes who could at least give a bit of service to the outside men if they are picked.

My 2 cents:
1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Brett Morris
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Morris
5. Jorge Taufua
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Aaron Woods
9. Robbie Farah
10. James Tamou
11. Beau Scott
12. Greg Bird
13. Paul Gallen

14. Luke Lewis
15. Anthony Watmough
16. Trent Merrin
17. Andrew Fifita

Notes:
- If Farah remains injured throw in Peats or Hinchcliffe (don't really care which, but Peats does offer more in attack)
- Yeah I know I've gone mad by including Pearce, but once the Blues reach the opposition attackig zone the ball must go to Carney's hands as much as possible with Pearce playing supporting half with clearance kicks, plus he's defence is solid.
- Carney and Thurston are similar type playmakers - they're visionary by playing whats infront of them. One of the biggest issues I had last year was that whenever NSW got inside QLD's 20m zone Maloney and Pearce looked like they had NFI what to do, whilst you can always smell a try when QLD got to NSW's attacking zone mainly thanks to Thurston.
- The rest pick themselves

Sujskiez

Juniors
My 2 cents:

Notes:
- If Farah remains injured throw in Peats or Hinchcliffe (don't really care which, but Peats does offer more in attack)
- Yeah I know I've gone mad by including Pearce, but once the Blues reach the opposition attackig zone the ball must go to Carney's hands as much as possible with Pearce playing supporting half with clearance kicks, plus he's defence is solid.
- Carney and Thurston are similar type playmakers - they're visionary by playing whats infront of them. One of the biggest issues I had last year was that whenever NSW got inside QLD's 20m zone Maloney and Pearce looked like they had NFI what to do, whilst you can always smell a try when QLD got to NSW's attacking zone mainly thanks to Thurston.
- The rest pick themselves

:lol::lol: Not sure if trolling or beign serious Carney and Thurston are not similar playmakers as a matter of fact carney name should not be mentioned in the same sentence as thurston

Noname36

First Grade
I think we all know we're gonna see this:

1. Dugan (Hayne out of his club position in the centres)
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
9. Ennis
14. Gidley (c)

It's gotten past the painful stage and now it's just funny lol.

GONZO72

Juniors
There is no way Ennis will be chosen. He is not an origin player. His form last year, in a dreadful year for the Bulldogs was horrid. He service from dummy half is atrocious. He won't even be playing first grade next year. Ennis is 3 years past his use by date. He should retire.

Latest posts