What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
They asked Daley on Sterlo, would there be players you ask not to be picked for City Country, he said yes.

Maloney, Pearce, Jennings, not picked, perhaps injuried.

The likes of Dugan, Fifta, Merrin are playing to keep spots.

He also Hayne was in, just not sure where yet. Could be fullback, centre of wing.

Cordner will be picked for NSW, play for the roosters helps his cause (as they supply a few players). Not having a go the roosters, just saying that helps him in Laurie's eyes. He will take Lewis' spot.

Springs

First Grade
Looks like Carney is out. Going off the Kangaroos team list, there is only 6 NSW players; J Morris, B Morris, Tamou, Bird, Gallen, and Cordner. What do you think automatic selection in the Blues I suppose. I think Cordner is a 50/50 in the Blues, I don't really rate him. If the forward pack from 2013 is injury free, and this will be NSW strongest pack:
8.Fifita, 9.Farah, 10.Tamou, 11.Bird, 12.Lewis, 13. Gallen, 14.(bolter), 15. Watmough, 16. Merrin, 17. (Spare prop - would go with Woods or even Cordner). I can't see any room for Cordner unless he takes 17. spot otherwise they will have to drop someone like Lewis who has yet to play a game this year.

What do you think?

Why do we need a spot reserved just for a 'bolter'?

Honestly City-Country isn't even an Origin trial anymore. What's the point of it if all the players going for NSW spots aren't picked?
It's like they said 'well these guys are definitely in NSW so don't play them, these guys are definitely not going to play so don't play them, eh just throw a bunch of young guys in'.

We're looking for a hooker if Farah is still out so they throw in Rein and Falloon? They obviously have the centres picked hence why Wighton, Idris and Walker are playing. Maloney and Pearce aren't playing despite still being frontrunners (Daley doesn't want them to be shown up?). Backrowers are clearly picked already and there's no way Jackson, Vaughan, Finucane, Docker, McCrone, Buhrer, Sezer or Klemmer are anywhere near an Origin jersey. Looks like a game to judge the wingers and props by.

Valheru

Coach
They asked Daley on Sterlo, would there be players you ask not to be picked for City Country, he said yes.

It?s definitely injuries in the case of Jennings/Maloney. Pearce isn?t injured though, he said he wanted to play in the match but Daley has obviously vetoed it.

kokz2014

Juniors
Usually the NSW players in aus squad are there for NSW, so he'll be there
I thought the exact same a few years ago. However, when Watmough made the Roos he wasn't selected in game 1 for SOS only game 2 and 3??

The likes of Dugan, Fifta, Merrin are playing to keep spots.

He also Hayne was in, just not sure where yet. Could be fullback, centre of wing.

Cordner will be picked for NSW, play for the roosters helps his cause (as they supply a few players). Not having a go the roosters, just saying that helps him in Laurie's eyes. He will take Lewis' spot.
That is interesting! I just saw the team list for City. If that is the case, then I suppose Pearce, Maloney and Jennings is guaranteed and yes it looks that way Cordner would replace Luke. I forgot about Hoffman too. I think Fifta and Merrin shouldn't have to play C vs C game?? Are the selectors doing the same mistake and repeat another SOS lost? Changing the structure of the Blues team is one of the main reason why NSW loses. I always believed if you can play well in SOS e.g. Hayne then you should automatically get picked, regardless if your out of form in NRL the following year. We see this happen to QLD many times but they were consistent in selecting their core players unless an injury occurred.

Why do we need a spot reserved just for a 'bolter'?

Honestly City-Country isn't even an Origin trial anymore. What's the point of it if all the players going for NSW spots aren't picked?
It's like they said 'well these guys are definitely in NSW so don't play them, these guys are definitely not going to play so don't play them, eh just throw a bunch of young guys in'.

We're looking for a hooker if Farah is still out so they throw in Rein and Falloon? They obviously have the centres picked hence why Wighton, Idris and Walker are playing. Maloney and Pearce aren't playing despite still being frontrunners (Daley doesn't want them to be shown up?). Backrowers are clearly picked already and there's no way Jackson, Vaughan, Finucane, Docker, McCrone, Buhrer, Sezer or Klemmer are anywhere near an Origin jersey. Looks like a game to judge the wingers and props by.
I agree, I only thought the bolter was an injury replacement to cover the halves/hooker. NSW have enough players who are dual position e.g. Hayne (Fullback, 5/8), B Morris (Wing, Fullback), etc. SOS 2013, J Reynolds was given no time in game 1 and was replaced by Cordner in game 3. Was thinking last year and the same this year to risk it and have no bolter at all to free up room for more forwards on the bench. This could work well and select our finest team for NSW.

With the NSW team, what is amazing me are the push, yet again for Greg Bird to play five eight. The rationale is to pick him to be the defensive noose on Thurston. Similar arguments are being made as to why Jared Hayne should be picked in the centres so he will mark up on Greg Inglis.

I mean are people for real? Five eight is a position where you want creativity, whilst Greg Bird has good ball skills, he is best suited to the back row where hius ball skills can complements his half and five eights. If they picked Bird at 5/8 it is just blunting our attack as, in my opinion, it reduces the number of creative players in the side whereas Bird at lock or second row enhances it.

As to Hayne in the centres? The guy is a freakish player who can create somethig out of nothing. He needs the ball in his hjands to be able to do sokething with it. Putting him in the centres negates that as he will see less ball than at fullback.

Additionally, if they did that to Hayne solely to accomodate Dugan, they would be picking a fullback who, based on his past performances, is reluctant to pass the ball. In my opinion Hayne should be at fullback.

Last edited:

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Not sure where u got that info from - Kelly is sweet.

Read the thread again. I couldn't make it any clearer that I would like to see Kelly in the side.
His only chance is the bench due to the Pearce love but that will do.
I suggested selecting him last year but copped the usual "he's not ready bullshit"
I want also to win but it would b great to see Kelly play at that level I think he would go up another gear and causemany problems for the qld defence.

Tayjack

Juniors
Read the thread again. I couldn't make it any clearer that I would like to see Kelly in the side.
His only chance is the bench due to the Pearce love but that will do.
I suggested selecting him last year but copped the usual "he's not ready bullshit"
I want also to win but it would b great to see Kelly play at that level I think he would go up another gear and causemany problems for the qld defence.

I agree, I'd play Kelly off the bench if fit- with a view to starting him in games 2 & 3 if Pearce fails in game 1. Kelly could defend with bird, and also play birds side for more confidence. I'd play him for sure, he still has so much to offer outside wag the has shown. He's a match winner too.

Helmet Man

Juniors
Kelly can tackle well. It's just his decision making and positioning in defence that is poor (mostly due to the fact that he goes for intercepts a lot of the times).

big hit!

Bench
FB - Hayne
RW - Radruku*
RC - J Morris
LC - Jennings
LW - B Morris
RH - Mullen**
LH - Kelly**
AH - Farah***
PF - Tamou
PF - Woods
MF - Gallen
RF - Scott
LF - Bird
I - Fifita
I - Merrin
I - Cordner
I - Watmough

* Hoppa says he ain't ready
** Not sure which sides Mullen & Kelly prefer. Hopefully it isn't the same one.
*** Assuming Farah will be good

Tayjack

Juniors
Kelly is a footballer, unlike Pearce. Defensive positioning is something that can be worked .

Pearce not a footballer??? Well that'll do me. Theres only two types that play:

Footballer
Athlete

He definitely aint an athlete.

In saying that id play kelly, just play him on greg birds side in attack and defence hell be sweet , he can tackle anyhow.

Spot On

Coach
FB - Hayne
RW - Radruku*
RC - J Morris
LC - Jennings
LW - B Morris
RH - Mullen**
LH - Kelly**
AH - Farah***
PF - Tamou
PF - Woods
MF - Gallen
RF - Scott
LF - Bird
I - Fifita
I - Merrin
I - Cordner
I - Watmough

* Hoppa says he ain't ready
** Not sure which sides Mullen & Kelly prefer. Hopefully it isn't the same one.
*** Assuming Farah will be good

You definitely put together good teams big hit. Like the halves combo. They compliment each other nicely. Not a Jennings fan so possibly shift Hayne to centre and Dugan to fullback if he's committed to the cause. Otherwise I'd love to see what that team could do.Kelly would cop a truckload of traffic though.

Helmet Man

Juniors
Kelly is a footballer, unlike Pearce. Defensive positioning is something that can be worked .
Yeah definitely. He just gets caught out quite a few times and makes wrong decisions. That can be worked on. But i don't think he is a huge defensive liability like Scott Prince was. However it is evident that teams do target him in defensive and to counteract that Kelly goes for intercepts. However he can tackle and has shown it a number of times such as tackling big men like Paul Gallen who he drove to the ground one on one.

kokz2014

Juniors
The way this is going, I think its better to stick with Pearce lol.

This will be the real team:
FB - Dugan
RW - Hayne
RC - J Morris
LC - Jennings
LW - B Morris
RH - Maloney
LH - Pearce
PF - Tamou
AH - Farah***
PF - Fifita
MF - Bird
RF - Cordner
LF - Gallen
I - Woods
I - Merrin
I - Watmough
I - Unknown - maybe bolter

It is clear who the selectors would pick. That settles it.