What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

big hit!

Bench
Mullen is on one leg, far from his best form and still has been able to outplay Reynolds twice easily in the space of two weeks. Not saying they should pick Mullen but surely that says Reynolds can't be there.

J Reynolds at Canterbury benefits from what A Reynolds & Sutton benefit from at Souths. A big forward pack that gets their opposition on the back foot, and then repetitive structure from their coaching. When this is taken away, all 3 are mediocre. I say this as a Souths fan even.

Mullen has to instigate much of what he does at Newcastle off his own back. This is the sign of a bona fide quality half. If he plays behind a NSW pack that can win the arm wrestle in the middle, then he will shine brightly. He will get the ball out to our backline unlike the spuds we've had to put up with the last few years.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Daley was just on triplem. He said they'll pick Farah if he is fit even if he hasn't played a game, he also have the indication that if he gets a game in beforehand they'll go with 4 forwards on the bench, if he hasn't played he'll pick a utility. Maloney and Lewis look like they will fit, if this is the case I think we'll see:

1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Hayne
5. Taufua
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Tamou
9. Farah
10. Woods
11. Bird
12. Coroner
13. Gallen

14. Lewis
15. Watmough
16. Merrin
17. Fifita

If Farah doesn't play a game I think we'll see woods drop out, gallen at prop, Lewis to start and j Reynolds on the bench

big hit!

Bench
Daley was just on triplem. He said they'll pick Farah if he is fit even if he hasn't played a game, he also have the indication that if he gets a game in beforehand they'll go with 4 forwards on the bench, if he hasn't played he'll pick a utility. Maloney and Lewis look like they will fit, if this is the case I think we'll see:

1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Hayne
5. Taufua
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Tamou
9. Farah
10. Woods
11. Bird
12. Coroner
13. Gallen

14. Lewis
15. Watmough
16. Merrin
17. Fifita

If Farah doesn't play a game I think we'll see woods drop out, gallen at prop, Lewis to start and j Reynolds on the bench

Why Maloney, but no Jennings? Jennings can make something from nothing, even when selected from NSW Cup.

Seriously, this BS of picking Pearce and Maloney because they have a halves club combo is dumb. The combinations they and all club halves have are with their hole runners and outside backs, not with each other.

They rarely provided quality ball to our outside players in previous Origin games. Our backs and edge forwards have had to grab it and do it all themselves from broken or one out play. NSW attacking highlights have rarely come from a structured multiple hands attacking move.

f**k 'em off!

Helmet Man

Juniors
Dissapointed that Kelly got injured and didn't get to play in the City vs Country game. Since none of the halves were that outstanding if he put in a quality effort then he may have been a bolter for Origin.

maple_69

Bench
Mullen looked a class above the other blokes. Country didn't have as many opportunities but he chose better options and executed well.
Woods needs to be there. The only other guys in contention that I thought put their hands up today were Idris and maybe Hoops, but I think he'll get a more serious look next year.
Most of it will be decided by ajennings, Maloney, Lewis, Hayne, Stewart's fitness.

brock0brien

Juniors
Mullen looked a class above the other blokes. Country didn't have as many opportunities but he chose better options and executed well.
Woods needs to be there. The only other guys in contention that I thought put their hands up today were Idris and maybe Hoops, but I think he'll get a more serious look next year.
Most of it will be decided by ajennings, Maloney, Lewis, Hayne, Stewart's fitness.

Hopoate did shit all compared to Mead

Jason Maher

Immortal
1. Hayne
2. Mead
3. Jennings
4. Morris
5. Morris
6. Mullen
7. Carney
13. Bird
12. Watmough
11. Scott
10. Tamou
9. Farah/Peats
8. Gallen (c)

14. Merrin
15. Fifita
16. Cordner
17. Grant

Sir Biffo

Bench
Mullen has been consistently the best half in NSW for the last 5 years and can't get a run. They won't pick him. If we had him in either of the last 2 series we win. Easy.

Game 1 last year was the most ominous sign that Pearce/Maloney are failures and always will be. We dominated that game still couldn't put many points on the board, plus Queensland were absolutely atrocious.

Pearce/Maloney might one year happen to be in a winning series but they definitley don't give us as good a chance as having Mullen there.

Spot On

Coach
99% of me believes this too.

If lewis plays the remaining Cronulla matches and doesn't re-injure his shoulder or injure anything else prior to selection sunday, then he's probably got the right edge position ahead of Scott. Right now though, I think it's Scott's position.

Dunno what Daley's thoughts are re Gallen. I.e., whether he is contemplating him in as a Prop. He did this last year to select Hoffman on the left edge and keep Bird in the team by shifting him into the middle third, but Ryan has been nothing like the form he had at this stage last season so this unlikely to happen.

I reckon we have at least 3 bona fide front line props this year in Tamou, Woods & Fifita who ought to be selected, and the 4th player who can play as prop in the rotation will probably be Merrin. Selecting 3 props will also give Daley the flexibility to remain big or go mobile in the middle during the match if the progression of the game requires it. Merrin, Watmough, Gallen, Bird & Cordner are all able to play in the middle if required. Important to have this flexibility, IMO.

What did you think of Woods today??

Jason Maher

Immortal
Woods was a passenger in his one Origin game. I'm sure he'll get another go at some point, but for mine Grant should get another go first. He was great in 2012. But we know our selectors don't like blokes who actually perform in Blue.

Apey

Staff member

1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Hayne
5. Taufua
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Tamou
9. Farah
10. Woods
11. Bird
12. Coroner
13. Gallen

14. Lewis
15. Watmough
16. Merrin
17. Fifita

If that's the team we definitely will need a Coroner out there because we'll get murdered. Again.

Noname36

First Grade

1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Hayne
5. Taufua
6. Maloney
7. Pearce
8. Tamou
9. Farah
10. Woods
11. Bird
12. Coroner
13. Gallen

14. Lewis
15. Watmough
16. Merrin
17. Fifita

*shudder*

Congrats on another series Qld.

Noname36

First Grade
Seriously, this BS of picking Pearce and Maloney because they have a halves club combo is dumb. The combinations they and all club halves have are with their hole runners and outside backs, not with each

Totally agree. If they want to pick players for club combinations Mullen's combination with Scott is 10x more dangerous and actually practical for Origin than Maloney and Pearce's combination is anyway.

Latest posts