What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

Anyone not picking
1.Hayne
6.Mullen

And 4 forwards on the bench is geniused, wrong and probably already part of the NSW selection panel.

Spot On

Coach
Um yeah. A half backs job is meant to put players into space, get field position and guide the team around. Does Pearce do all that? We lost that game, but Watmough was excellent in that game. just because we lost doesn't mean we didn't have any amazing performances. Was Jarryd Hayne terrible in losing origin games?

I think you should re-read what I wrote, read it nice and slow so you can understand what I'm saying but just in case you can't do that I'll try writting it in a simpler way for you. NSW has amazing depth in the back row. There are many back rowers going around in the NRL who are looking more impressive than him and if you were only looking at performances in the NRL and picking your back row, Greg Bird could miss out with the likes of Gallen, Watmough, Merrin, Cordner, Stewart, Sims being in the form that they are in BUT we know that we it comes to origin time, Greg Bird goes up 20 gears so regardless of form in the NRL and of other players, Greg Bird HAS to be there.

Who's calling for Pearce to be selected?? We know exactly what he can and can' t do. Unfortunately Watmough didnt 'change the whole game' enough to get us over the line.

You have an unusual way of looking at form players that's for sure. Bird is in terrific form at club level. Merrin possibly the other standout atm.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
I think most of these teams are pretty on the money.
1. Hayne- he is our best god damn player, put him in the most important position
2. Taufau- he's been the best winger over the last few years in the NRL
3. Jennings- Idris if not fit
4. Morris- I'd switch him to join Brett if Idris comes in so the biggest human in the world can look after Inglis
5. Morris
6. Mullen- he's the best half in NSW
7. Pearce- I think Mullen/Carney is our best chance of winning a series but hey who needs that
8. Woods- big ticker, better off starting
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Gallen
14. Cordner
15. Merrin
16. Fafita
17. Watmong

We haven't been far from QLD for the last two years. With a half that knows what they're doing, Hayne at the back and no wasted spots on the bench as well as the big 3 ageing we'll be a shot. Decider in QLD is going to take a big game from one of our halves and Pearce, Maloney, Reynolds, Reynolds can't offer that at this level.

I like this side a lot. I'd probably make one or two tiny changes but as a whole this is probably the best one I've seen named.

Anyone not picking
1.Hayne
6.Mullen

And 4 forwards on the bench is geniused, wrong and probably already part of the NSW selection panel.

Agreed.

Joely01

Bench
1. Hayne- he is our best god damn player, put him in the most important position
2. Taufau- he's been the best winger over the last few years in the NRL
3. Jennings- Idris if not fit
4. Morris- I'd switch him to join Brett if Idris comes in so the biggest human in the world can look after Inglis
5. Morris
6. Mullen- he's the best half in NSW
7. Pearce- I think Mullen/Carney is our best chance of winning a series but hey who needs that
8. Woods- big ticker, better off starting
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Gallen
14. Cordner
15. Merrin
16. Fafita
17. Watmong

We haven't been far from QLD for the last two years. With a half that knows what they're doing, Hayne at the back and no wasted spots on the bench as well as the big 3 ageing we'll be a shot. Decider in QLD is going to take a big game from one of our halves and Pearce, Maloney, Reynolds, Reynolds can't offer that at this level.

Basically my side also.

I'd have Hoppa instead of Taufua though (i may be biased) but Hoppa is pure class, and you know exactly what you will get from him.
I'd also start cordner, with Lewis on the bench.

BranVan3000

Coach
It's depressing that everyone is picking Pearce. Our problem hasn't been forwards or backs the past few years, it has been Pearce. Yet here we are

I'd go with Mullen and Sutton in the halves. Who cares if they are both five eights, they are the most likely to have an impact on the game out of all NSW's halves

Joely01

Bench
It's depressing that everyone is picking Pearce. Our problem hasn't been forwards or backs the past few years, it has been Pearce. Yet here we are

I'd go with Mullen and Sutton in the halves. Who cares if they are both five eights, they are the most likely to have an impact on the game out of all NSW's halves

We are picking him because Laurie has already come out and said he will be the 7.

natheel

Coach

No use fighting the inevitable Daley has already picked him prior to round 1. Personally I'd have

6. Reynolds
7. Mullen

Sutton maybe for a bench spot as he can play backrow also

big hit!

Bench
FB Hayne- he is our best god damn player, put him in the most important position abso-f**kin-lutely
LW Taufau- he's been the best winger over the last few years in the NRL i'd like to see him playing in a shit team. benefits enormously on the end of wicked backline at club level
LC Jennings- Idris if not fit Jamal would have to be moved to the right
RC Morris- I'd switch him to join Brett if Idris comes in so the biggest human in the world can look after Inglis J Moz is a left centre anyway so he will actually add more there
RW Morris
RH Mullen- he's the best half in NSW yes. doesn't rely on a dominant pack to organise the backline, unlike the reynolds', sutton, pearce and maloney. he is a bona fide quality half
LH Pearce- I think Mullen/Carney is our best chance of winning a series but hey who needs that. i just don't understand
PF Woods- big ticker, better off starting yes. better off in the starting XIII as Fifita has much more benefit than him as an impact player off the bench
AH Farah halves will struggle to command the team with this selfish Robbie at acting half, but at the same time, no one else other than Peats at the moment comes close to being a threat around the ruck
PF Tamou
RF Lewis
LF Bird
MF Gallen
I Cordner
I Merrin
I Fafita
I Watmong

I've taken the liberty to get rid of the numbers put the positions they'll be playing, and expand with my own points in bold. This is practically my team from several pages ago, ex Pearce who I had replaced with Kelly who will now definitely miss through injury anyway, Lewis replaced with Scott as I was unsure if Lewis would be ready for Game 1, and I had Hoppa in on the right wing with B Morris on the left and Tafua left right out.

TBH, wing is a difficult position to select as the players who get noticed are those who predominantly get a lot of space due to all the work done by their inside players at club. They end up being on the end of good play, score tries and playing for winning teams. It does not mean that they are the best wingers in the state.

Wing has been an absolute ballsup for NSW for several years and has only been saved by moving one of our best player's there, and thanks to B Morris who shows has regularly showed his class over recent years in a shit team. Most others have been misses. Hoppa was the goods before he left the game.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
People hated Ennis because he provided f**k all in attack.

Now Farah is being attacked for trying to do too much in attack.

Here's the thing, if NSW had decent halves, Farah wouldn't feel the need to do more of the attack.

Look at how he has played this year with a genuinely good halfback in the side. He's not overplayed his hand, has actually done less playmaking and had been playing arguably close to the best he ever has.

I'd even go as far as to say that Farah this year has been the best hooker in the comp.

timka4

Bench
Final decided team after first 8 weeks of NRL and CvC, Aus and previous origin performances

1. Hayne (Obvious)
2. Hopoate (simply class, people can say he is not big enough yet or not fast enough but he is just that talented that'll he'll perform and be great anyway. Won't brain snap in defense like Taufua will if he gets the nod imo)
3. Jennings (Been good before, still no one really better to drop him for)
4. J. Morris (No reason to drop him, experienced and always does well in origin)
5. B. Morris (best NSW winger)
6. J. Reynolds (Form 5/8 of comp, looked like he was trying too hard to impress in CvC. Also because Carney is injured/not right at the moment)
7. Mullen (control game with kicking and passing, good defense, ready for origin)
8. Gallen (Obvious)
9. Farah (Obvious)
10. Fafita (Has huge impact from get go, will match it with QLD straight away and get us guarenteed early metres whereas Woods could be a risk starting)
11. Bird (Obvious)
12. Scott (one of the form backrowers, I want Fensom at lock and Merrin in 12 but wont happen)
13. Merrin (Good player will be in NSW for years to come)

14. Cordner (clash player that abit down on form, but will be there in the future and will hold his own)
15. Watmough (classic pick)
16. Tamou (one of the best in NSW)
17. Woods (has started twice and gotten monstered, maybe when play slows down abit he can come on provide more punch).

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
People hated Ennis because he provided f**k all in attack.

Now Farah is being attacked for trying to do too much in attack.

Here's the thing, if NSW had decent halves, Farah wouldn't feel the need to do more of the attack.

Look at how he has played this year with a genuinely good halfback in the side. He's not overplayed his hand, has actually done less playmaking and had been playing arguably close to the best he ever has.

I'd even go as far as to say that Farah this year has been the best hooker in the comp.

It won't matter who are the halves. Farah over plays in rep games. He is one of the main play makers at his club, like Smith is at MEL, but Cam knows when to get quick ball away and knows when to take advantage of fatigue or laziness around the ruck.

Farah continually takes the ball away himself from acting half rather than getting it to the 1st receiver half quickly when it's needed to get there.

Farah always gets himself noticed. Doesn't mean it's best for the team.

Whether it's Pearce and Maloney, or another half or set of halves, they will be hamstrung by Farah who will end up wanting to do it himself.

Gallen is same. There is no doubt that he is a gun. But his dominant personality sees him regularly call and get the ball 2 hit-ups a set on many occasions. Not only does it lessen his impact as the match progresses, it's poor utilisation of our other forwards who fail to have any impact because they don't get much of the ball. We haven't been flogged too many times in origin in recent years. The boys are doing the job in defence. It's selfishness that hurts this team.

Both Gallen and Farah need to temper their egos by remembering that there is no 'I' in team. We have historically gone into many of these Origin matches in recent times with 16 players because of dumb utility selections that are used for less than 10 minutes. The failure of both Gallen & Farah to share the load ends up in an overall failure of using many of the other players in the team efficiently and effectively.

Mr Saab

Referee
Why are so many people picking Luke Lewis? He has not played all yr, wont even be match fit for an NRL game, let alone oriigin

Who's calling for Pearce to be selected?? We know exactly what he can and can' t do. Unfortunately Watmough didnt 'change the whole game' enough to get us over the line.

You have an unusual way of looking at form players that's for sure. Bird is in terrific form at club level. Merrin possibly the other standout atm.

No one is, but you said bench forwards are meant to make an impact, I'm pointing out that every player is meant to do something but not everyone does it. When Watmough came on he was excellent, he did in fact change the whole game. Woods was getting dominated and Tamou wasn't having a good night, enter Fifita and Watmough and that's when the NSW forwards really started belting Qld up the middle.

I don't have an unusual way of looking at form. I've already said to you that he's been carving up in recent weeks in a struggling roosters outfit, that point wasn't enough. That's when I tried a different way by explaining by why he got chosen in the Aus team. Bird has been in good form, no disputing that. I've actually been following the Titans this season, but what my argument was that there are players for NSW who are playing better then him in the NRL. But in no way am I saying that they would do better for NSW then Mr State of Origin.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Why are so many people picking Luke Lewis? He has not played all yr, wont even be match fit for an NRL game, let alone oriigin

If it was Thurston, Thaiday, Parker or Smith in this equation Qld wouldnt hesitate to pick them.

Lewis is proven Origin and deserves to be picked if available. He will lift for the jersey

Its really that simple

kokz2014

Juniors
After watching City vs Contry, I think it is quite obvious who the players are likely to be selected.

Here we go guys:
1: Dugan
2: Morris
3: Morris
4: Idris/**Jennings - injuried
5: Hayne
6: Mullens/**Maloney - injured
7: Pearce
8: Tamou
9: Farah - is fit to play now
10: Fifita
11: Bird
12: Croydner
13: Gallen

14: ?? (Bolter Gidley/Reynolds) or another forward (Hoffman)
15: Merrin
16: Watmogh
17. Woods

Backup players: R Hoffman, Trex, etc.

I think Idris and his monstrous size is very hard to contain 1 on 1. Mullens has a very a good kicking game. Woods will go nicely off the bench as an extra battery ram. I believed that is NSW best team to take the field. Number 14. will be the only hard decision to make. Will like to see another hard backrower unless they are thinking giving Farah interval breaks to bring on a bolter like Gidley/Reynolds.

That's seals it, selection period over now!

Jono078

Referee
Haven't really read through the thread. But I feel like Sutton is the forgotten man in the 5/8th race and he's probably been the best one so far this year.

If I had to pick the team tomorrow he would be my 5/8th.

Sujskiez

Juniors
After watching City vs Contry, I think it is quite obvious who the players are likely to be selected.

Here we go guys:
1: Dugan
2: Morris
3: Morris
4: Idris/**Jennings - injuried
5: Hayne
6: Mullens/**Maloney - injured
7: Pearce
8: Tamou
9: Farah - is fit to play now
10: Fifita
11: Bird
12: Croydner
13: Gallen

14: ?? (Bolter Gidley/Reynolds) or another forward (Hoffman)
15: Merrin
16: Watmogh
17. Woods

Backup players: R Hoffman, Trex, etc.

I think Idris and his monstrous size is very hard to contain 1 on 1. Mullens has a very a good kicking game. Woods will go nicely off the bench as an extra battery ram. I believed that is NSW best team to take the field. Number 14. will be the only hard decision to make. Will like to see another hard backrower unless they are thinking giving Farah interval breaks to bring on a bolter like Gidley/Reynolds.

That's seals it, selection period over now!

I'm not sure what u on but putting hayne on the wing is like having hayne not playing at all. It is simply wasting his skills on the wing put him in fb or in the centre againt inglis now that would be a play to watch where hayne and inglis go against each other

maple_69

Bench
Four forwards on the bench is better than carrying a "utility" who isnt a utilities ass hole and then him sitting on the god damn bench for 151 minutes across two games. We've been pretty lucky to have versatile players in the Blues set up for a while.
Of course if a utility was used properly the discussion might be different. I see a lot of realism in this thread. Pearce is picked when no one wants him. This thread is more 'Pick the NSW side keeping in mind Daley's limited coaching ability'.