What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW whinging about the referees.

Hutty1986

Immortal
It's all a bit ridiculous. Ricky Stuart calling a private meeting with the referees... Wtf for Ricky? Move on. The 5 million threads from NSW fans complaining about the refs, then the 1 thread about the NSW fans whinging bout the refs.

haha true. every muthafarker is whinging!

Funnily enough, there hasnt been another mention of the morris try...i wonder why? Fair try, there wasnt a knock on there.[/QUOTE}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Hgq0R5YtI

Pause this video at 0:32 seconds then recommence performing 'double clicks' on the Pause button. It advances the frame very slowly indeed. Watch as Morris catches the ball from over the head of Boyd. A great leap and catch. Then as he and Boyd are falling in sync. Morris brings the ball down onto Boyd's right shoulder dislodging the ball from Morris' grasp. You can see how the ball is held in his hands until he contacts Boyd's shoulder.He has his left and right hands spread at the top of the vertical orientated ball. Both hands are vertically atop one pointed end of the ball pushing the other end of the ball into Boyd's right shoulder from above and close behind.

After contacting Boyd's shoulder with one point on the shoulder and his two hands on the uppermost point pushing the ball downward into conact with Boyd's body, Morris loses contact with the ball via his left hand. The left hand of Morris then slid toward Boyd's back but doesn't get between Boyd's back and the ball.

Morris then scoops the ball back toward himself away from Boyd's back and towards Morris' chest. The ball remains in contact with Boyd's back until Morris withdraws his arms and scoops the ball back toward his body from Boyd's back. Morris's hand on one point of the ball pushing the other point of the ball into Boyd's back as he regains control after his knock on, before he draws it closer to his body.

Thus at anytime that Morris has two hands holding on one end of the ball, pushing the ball into Boyd's back as they were falling from the jump means that he wasn't holding the ball, he was pushing it onto Boyd.

A very small knock on. One in which Morris has a semblance of control in real time, but not when you slomo.

Bretto

Bench
I'd like for someone to go through the rule book, but I'm pretty sure you can't use an opposing players body as a conduit for attaining possession of the ball - it constitutes a knock on. As in, you can't push the ball into an opposing player in the act of gaining possession of the ball.

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
The sour grapes stench wafting from South of the border is becoming worse every year! The moaning, groaning, bitching, temper tantrums is pure comedy gold. Keep it up fellas.

I would like to remind you of a word called credibility....after losing 7 series in a row, there is not much left for NSW. I suggest you use it wisely.

Snappy

Coach
Referees don't give Blues a chance in Origin III
Andrew Webster The Daily Telegraph July 07, 2012 12:00AM

WHAT we're about to say is going to be hounded down as sour grapes and whinging from boneheaded Queenslanders but you know what? We don't give a flying ...

The Justin Hodges try before halftime in the Origin decider was an absolute disgrace. The NSW side had feared they would be reamed by the referees and they were bang on.

Then again, it is merely par for the course.

If ARL Commission director of operations Nathan McGuirk is so pleased with how the game is being refereed under the stewardship of Bill Harrigan and Stuart Raper, why did he hold a three-hour meeting with them at League Central yesterday?

Take it as fact that the pair of them remain under massive pressure to keep their jobs.

(After holding his own press conference after the ridiculous Greg Inglis try in game one, Harrigan has gone mysteriously quiet, failing to return calls).

Nobody disputes that the Maroons are a cracking team - perhaps the best ever assembled, in any form of the game - and their achievements deserve unbridled acclaim.

But fair-bloody-dinkum ... give the Blues a chance.

The legendary Ron Massey, a well-respected figure in rugby league who has watched more matches than you and me put together and then some, weighed in yesterday on the try Hodges was awarded despite running directly behind prop Ben Hannant.

"Under the rules, it wasn't a try," Massey said. "When they start quoting all these reasons ... They'll find a reason for something. To me, it was not a try. The NSW team were well aware of what the move was. They were there to cover it but didn't think they had to when Hodges ran behind one of his players because they thought the referee would pull it up."

The move Massey is talking about is called "Elvis" by the Maroons. They have used it to great effect in the past, but it's been snuffed out in the last two series.

On Wednesday night, Hodges stuffed the play up, running behind the lead runner (Hannant) instead of passing to five-eighth Johnathan Thurston.

A Blues assistant coach, speaking on the promise of anonymity, explained it for us yesterday.

"We defend that play at training over and over and over again, because Queensland has had success with it before," he said. "Over the last couple of series, we've defended it very well because we've practised for it. The reason why there was a gap between Todd Carney and Beau Scott is because there's no player there to receive the football. The only way a player can make a break there is through an illegal play of running behind the lead runner.

"He was covered by Scott and Robbie Farah. Carney made a great read on Thurston, because he was meant to be ball receiver.

"When he wasn't, there was no other option but for Hodges to take that gap when no player was there in defence, because no player is supposed to be there in attack. We defend structured attack through our repetition in defence at training."

You can't defend howling referee errors. Nor can you do anything about a match review committee that considers it kosher for Nate Myles to headbutt Robbie Farah. Twice. At some stage, McGuirk or the myriad people who run the game might consider doing something about that.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...eave-blues-irate/story-e6freye0-1226419374933

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Karl

Juniors
Funnily enough, there hasnt been another mention of the morris try...i wonder why? Fair try, there wasnt a knock on there.[/QUOTE}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Hgq0R5YtI

Pause this video at 0:32 seconds then recommence performing 'double clicks' on the Pause button. It advances the frame very slowly indeed. Watch as Morris catches the ball from over the head of Boyd. A great leap and catch. Then as he and Boyd are falling in sync. Morris brings the ball down onto Boyd's right shoulder dislodging the ball from Morris' grasp. You can see how the ball is held in his hands until he contacts Boyd's shoulder.He has his left and right hands spread at the top of the vertical orientated ball. Both hands are vertically atop one pointed end of the ball pushing the other end of the ball into Boyd's right shoulder from above and close behind.

After contacting Boyd's shoulder with one point on the shoulder and his two hands on the uppermost point pushing the ball downward into conact with Boyd's body, Morris loses contact with the ball via his left hand. The left hand of Morris then slid toward Boyd's back but doesn't get between Boyd's back and the ball.

Morris then scoops the ball back toward himself away from Boyd's back and towards Morris' chest. The ball remains in contact with Boyd's back until Morris withdraws his arms and scoops the ball back toward his body from Boyd's back. Morris's hand on one point of the ball pushing the other point of the ball into Boyd's back as he regains control after his knock on, before he draws it closer to his body.

Thus at anytime that Morris has two hands holding on one end of the ball, pushing the ball into Boyd's back as they were falling from the jump means that he wasn't holding the ball, he was pushing it onto Boyd.

A very small knock on. One in which Morris has a semblance of control in real time, but not when you slomo.

Yep. Knock on. It has to be.

Hutty1986

Immortal
We'll call it a square-up for GI's game one "try." FMD, 99% of the whinging is from qlderp fans..just enjoy the win

firechild

First Grade
Watch as Morris catches the ball from over the head of Boyd. A great leap and catch. Then as he and Boyd are falling in sync. Morris brings the ball down onto Boyd's right shoulder dislodging the ball from Morris' grasp.

You're making it sound suspiciously similar to the Inglis try in game 1. Are you suggesting that perhaps the refs got them both wrong?

BTW, I don't think the video ref was pausing and "double clicking" while he was watching the replay. You're clutching at straws.

You're making it sound suspiciously similar to the Inglis try in game 1. Are you suggesting that perhaps the refs got them both wrong?

BTW, I don't think the video ref was pausing and "double clicking" while he was watching the replay. You're clutching at straws.

I doubt the video refs ability to get much right even with the tools at their disposal.

The difference between Inglis' try and Morris', is that Boyd's shoulder and back weren't aimed at getting the ball out of Morris' grasp. They were nothing more than the landing spot for the ball as Morris hauled the catch in. Knock on Morris. All of this happens too quickly to be seen by the vid-ref. Remember that what we are double-clicking to an even slower frame rate on youtube than the video ref's slowest slo-mo guide. We can slow it down even further on Youtube because our starting-point is the slo-mo footage, that we are now slowing frame by frame. The point is not a criticism of the vid-ref. The point is determining what happened.

With Farah's check at the ball in Inglis's hands we have a different situation. Farah makes no attempt to go for a try saving body-check on Inglis instead he steps aside and hangs his foot out in Inglis' direction. Forcing the ball loose.

I don't expect that the Morris try should not be counted because the vid-ref didn't pick it up, merely that like the Uate try in 2012 Game 1, it was a knock-on which went undetected by the vid-ref. There is tremendous pressure, especially when we are talking about State Of Origin, for the vid-ref to not only arrive at the correct decision, but to waste as little time as possible in order to maintain the pace of the action.

The only reason I posted the video is to show that a previous poster was correct when he maintained that it was a knock on. One of the commentators also questioned whether Moris could use Boyd's body as a landing pad(for the ball) when he was bringing the ball in.

I couldn't give a shit about straws. The series has been decided and the better team won. If the lesser team won I might give a shit about some of the decisions. It still is worth knowing what happened in the try.

Latest posts