What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NT, does the nrl care?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The Eels had a regular deal with the N.T Govt.That may have expired.
The N.T has rl clubs ,Tasmania doesn't.
ATM I think the NRL has more pressing issues.Such as ensuring all matches are completed this year,and no club has a positive COVID result.

didn't expire, as I understand Covid screwed it for this year and we dont know what restrictions will apply next season

Perth Red

Post Whore
I would rank Darwin above Adelaide for an NRL team. It is unclaimed territory. Where as Adelaide is hard AFL.

If we had a $15mill club spending cap and clubs could get by on 9k crowds and $2mill sponsorship then yeh Darwin would be an option.

I would rank Darwin above Adelaide for an NRL team. It is unclaimed territory. Where as Adelaide is hard AFL.
Adelaide is probably ahead of Perth these days. Better time zone, less travel, great crowds for games played there, no RU to compete with and it would make a significant boost to local player numbers.

Darwin is a wonderful joint. I love any place that is overrun with saltwater crocodiles.

The NT Crocodiles would be a great addition to the NRL, but only after a 20,000 seat stadium is built and fumbleball has been banned by the NT Gov.

T-Boon

Coach
Maybe the Cowboys could change their name to Northern Cowboys (this sounds better anyway) and play 3 games a year in Darwin. Get some sponsorship from the NT government.

Maybe the Cowboys could change their name to Northern Cowboys (this sounds better anyway) and play 3 games a year in Darwin. Get some sponsorship from the NT government.
I cannot see that happening. Not with a brand new stadium in Townsville. But it would be advantageous to the Cowboys if 2 or 3 Sydney clubs played their "home" games against NQ in Darwin, with proceeds from the match going to the Sydney clubs.

T-Boon

Coach
I cannot see that happening. Not with a brand new stadium in Townsville. But it would be advantageous to the Cowboys if 2 or 3 Sydney clubs played their "home" games against NQ in Darwin, with proceeds from the match going to the Sydney clubs.

Yeah I understand that point of view but I disagree with it. 12 home games is clearly too many for every team as none of them ever get close to their stadium capacity.
No fan base can kick up a stink at losing some games. And for the handful of fans that do go to all 12 games each year if they want to complain complain about their friends who don't turn up.

Yeah I understand that point of view but I disagree with it. 12 home games is clearly too many for every team as none of them ever get close to their stadium capacity.
No fan base can kick up a stink at losing some games. And for the handful of fans that do go to all 12 games each year if they want to complain complain about their friends who don't turn up.

I'd prefer it if they took 3 games to Cairns, to counter the Victorian invasion of that city. Give Barlow Park a cheap upgrade to make it a rectangular stadium and all of a sudden there's a new venue for the game.

Latest posts