What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NT look to enter NSW Cup in 2012

Smiley

Bench
Cyril Connell Cup (u16s) and Mal Meninga Cup (u18s)

Just Queensland version of Harold Matthews and SG Ball.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
The commission needs to look at a national reserve grade competition. NRL teams could adopt developing areas and use those teams as feeder sides. Melbourne already send their players to Brisbane and Cronulla to play QLD & NSW cup why not send them to Perth or Darwin.

jbl31649

Juniors
Good luck to them. Does anyone know if they produce players up to NSW Cup standard?

I played up there when in the defence force. The standard isn't very high for League, nor is the following. Lots of expats, defence people and their kids.

The biggest following, by a huge number is AFL. Then Union, because of the defence force. The NT rep side beat Samoa in a friendly in 2006.

League is a distant 3rd. Don't get me wrong there was a couple of stand outs from some of the indegionous kids, great speed and foot work. If those kids had quality opposition, their standard of play would get better.

Probably the travelling would become quite an expence aswell. But in saying all that the NRL needs to have a foot in every capital city in some form, if their dreams of a full National comp is to be realised.

The AFL have denied them on numerous occassions and the have only in recent times had a team in the SAFL. So it could also be a waste, where as PNG has a huge almost fanatical following of League.

RL Tragic

Juniors
Next season their are 13 teams confirmed - Canterbury, Auckland, Cronulla, Norths, Wentworthville, Newtown, Newcastle, Balmain, Manly, Windsor, Wests and Illawarra (St George) and Mounties (Canberra) wouldn't it be good to see another team to make it 14 - Any Suggestions/Thoughts? Or are Northern Territory seriously an option?
progress.gif

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes me too, we need somewhere for our talented SG Ball players to go to as the local WARL still isn't strong enough. Having said that it would cost $1mill a year to run a Perth NSW cup team and we would need to be linked to an NRL side in order to attract the better players so I can't see it happening before the Reds enter the NRL.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Like to see both NT and WA enter the NSW Cup. Maybe Melbourne can go alone again instead of merging with Cronulla and have a feeder club/state relationship with one of these area's.

Timbo

Staff member
It's a shame this has popped up so late.

Would have been ideal for either Canberra or Manly, who have both finalized their deals for 2012 now.

Haffa

I think the strength of the team would be reliant on the commitments of the representative rugby union players (rugby being a wet season/summer sport) who play both codes as well as any defence force deployments/commitments.

There are lots of decent footy players up there and the NTIS have a decent program for league, they're coached by Duncan MacGillivray. Whether any of them are NSWRL level is debateable, but perhaps a step down from that giving them time to grow I'm sure they'd be competitive pretty quick.

drago brelli

Bench
Next season their are 13 teams confirmed - Canterbury, Auckland, Cronulla, Norths, Wentworthville, Newtown, Newcastle, Balmain, Manly, Windsor, Wests and Illawarra (St George) and Mounties (Canberra) wouldn't it be good to see another team to make it 14 - Any Suggestions/Thoughts? Or are Northern Territory seriously an option?

progress.gif
The Illawarra team entering the NSW Cup in 2012 has nothing to do with St George. Illawarra businesses an the Illawarra leagues club are funding the team. The only connection with St George is that some of the St George/Illawarra squad players will play in the team. Those that don't make first grade.

siv

First Grade
I personally think that we shouldn't have RG teams wearing different jersies to their FG teams

Whats wrong with 16 team RG comp without the 4 Qld & NZ teams with Norths, Newtown, Magpies and Illawarra added

Other teams like Wenty, Ryde Eastwood, Windsor, Mounties can continue to play NSW Bundy Cup

Latest posts