What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Number 1 No.1.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Ok Everyone, we have had some cracking good Fullbacks over the years, but who does everyone think has been our best?

Wesser, Moylan, Leeds, Flash???

We’ve had a few. I think Edwards will be right up there very soon!

But my vote goes to Rhys Lighting! Man I loved to watch him! You never really New what was going to happen!

Fangs

Coach
Get the poll on baby.

Definately Wes. He was sublime for a number of years.

Career ended when Elliott came to Penrith. At the same time the game felt like it evolved and he didn't.

age.s

First Grade
Yeah agreed MX. Flash in that shortish space of time was phenomenal, and would imo have been a more prominent part of the conversation if he'd been moved from the wing earlier (not to mention that untimely injury). It says a lot about Elliott that one of the fullbacks in this conversation only played there as an injury replacement.

It also says a lot about the footy media hype train that people still wet themselves over Haynes 2009 while Flash's 2010/11 never gets mentioned.

roofromoz

First Grade
I would feel inclined to say Gordon too, although Wesser on his day was great.

Edwards a few years from now may be seen as the best ever though.

franklin2323

Immortal
Ok Everyone, we have had some cracking good Fullbacks over the years, but who does everyone think has been our best?

But my vote goes to Rhys Lighting! Man I loved to watch him! You never really New what was going to happen!

He was good but he had a very short peak. What was he real outstanding for 5 years? He'd probably be mine

Pomoz

Bench
Wesser for how long he was great. All the tries he scored and ofcourse being part of our 2003 premiership.

But Flash 2010 and 2011 was probably the most complete fullback we've had. His ball playing was his only real flaw.
That's a good post. When he was on fire in 2003 and 2004, he reached heights that Gordon hasn't reached. At times he would have been close to the fastest player in the NRL and balanced like ET as he glided across the field. But Gordon was also really good and a better defender than Wesser, but geez, Wesser got you out of your seat like no other fullback we have had. Sometimes for his dumb plays too :mad:

mxlegend99

Referee
That's a good post. When he was on fire in 2003 and 2004, he reached heights that Gordon hasn't reached. At times he would have been close to the fastest player in the NRL and balanced like ET as he glided across the field. But Gordon was also really good and a better defender than Wesser, but geez, Wesser got you out of your seat like no other fullback we have had. Sometimes for his dumb plays too :mad:
Once the ball was in his hands. Wesser was as good as any fullback. Speed. Strength. Balance and great instincts on where to pop up.

But he had alot of moments under the high ball or in defence or with his positioning etc. That could be costly. I would feel safest with Flash at fullback. But goddamn Wesser on fire was probably the most exciting player to wear a Panthers jersey. Just nowhere near as complete or as consistant as others.

Pomoz

Bench
Kevin Dann or Mark Levy.
I'll admit I haven't seen those two. The first fullback I ever saw in Panther colours was Neil Baker. When the ball went in the air the supporters used to cross themselves and say a little prayer. Heart surgeons used to love him. Would always guarantee at least one heart attack. Each half.

ammatt

Juniors

I liked Leeds but thought he was just too slow to be a really effective fullback. For mine it is Wesser but am looking forward to watching Edwards develop