What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nyc

Red'n'White

Juniors
Who of the current crop of NYC players will be NRL stars? Who do we keep? Who do we let go?
Dan Hunt, Justin Poore or Merrin, Hancock?
Hornby, Soward or Henry, Rosser, Carter?
Creagh, Smith, Young or Marketo, Jones?
Morris, Dell, Nightingale or Whare, Vickery, Raiwalui?
A hell of a lot of good players there plus Boyd, Fein, Head, Priddis, Weyman, and many more too many to list. Unbeatable in a year or so, if we keep and sign the right players. BUT WHO?

Patto

Juniors
From the games I've seen I think we definitely need to keep Merrin, Marketo and Henry, all have looked outstanding. Plus Henry and Marketo seem to have formed a pretty good partnership.

Godz Illa

Coach
It's talented bunch! You'd love to keep all the good ones but with the salary cap it's not possible. Henry, Whare and Hancock are still eligible for NYC next year though, but Merrin, Marketo, Vickery would all be priorities.

It remains to be seen of course how many will progress into the NRL - usually it's a small percentage, but sometimes you get a very talented group and they almost all make it. Our 2005 Jersey Fegg side for instance contained the Morris twins, Nightingale, Dan Hunt, Chris Houston, Danny Wicks, George Ndaira, Daryl Millard, Beau Ryan, Tom Hewitt, Charlie Leaeno, Lee Te Maari and Josh Lewis (which gives you an indication of how hard it is to retain good young players). That was a rather special team - minor premiers and premiers, and of course they famously scored over 100 points in a single game. Our current U20's side is not quite at that level imo, at least not yet.

SaintScotty

Juniors
I don't think that Head and Priddis will be here next year. Fein is probably taking over both those roles.

I'd like to see the dell move on and retire perhaps. That way Morris and Nightingale could take up the wing spots.

SuperSoward

Juniors
Definitely re-sign Beau Henry. He is an awesome halfback.
Trent Merrin is pretty good,
Henry Raiwalui is great at fullback
And I like what I have seen of Mitch Rein at hooker.

fortae

Bench
It can get very complicated with the scenario you have put together.

Poore, Morris, Sailor are the only NRL players off contract, while Henry and Marketo are the only confirmed players under contract. There are other names you have left out e.g. Suckley, King that are also under contract. And of course, the other NRL players off-contract Paea, Lett, Ranieri, Thorby etc

There's 19 NRL players currently under contract, unless salaries are moved around. I'd say there's a position for a winger, a centre, a half, two props and a backrower or prop depending on other signings. The rest will have to be in the NYC or 2nd also tier. It's about who you can convince to stay, which depends on whether they are eligible for the NYC next year, what kind of opportunities they see here and elsewhere ...

Best case scenario, internally, would have the six spots going to BMorris, Whare/Linnett, Henry, Poore, Merrin, Paea/Marketo.

:f:

Whare and Linnett would come down to what was being offered elsewhere. Linnett is over age, while Whare has another year in the NYC next year, which may help. Also Travis Roche has another year and I think we need to see how he comes back from injury.

I think we need to try to keep all three, as difficult as it could be. I'm not sure there are any long-term centres in first grade ... Cooper is there for another couple of years, Scott is an in between ... as is Stanley, though he's more a backrower long-term, whereas Scott may stick. Boyd can play centre but he's our fullback for the forseeable future. Nightingale would be closest to a long-term centre.

If Fien is replacing Priddis, i.e. Priddis does retire, I'd be giving the spot to another young centre.

Paea/Marketo depends on Poore. Paea will probably get a better offer, if Poore stays. Marketo is under contract as stated. Merrin and Hancock are in a similar situation to Linnett/Whare. Hancock has another year in the NYC.

Rosser and Jones also have time. Vickery could be tricky with other teams looking at outside backs.

:f:

In terms of talent, this would be my depth chart (Under 20s Squad) ...

Fullback: Kyle Stanley, Travis Roche, Chris Astill, Henry Raiwalui

Winger: Joe Vickery, Chris Astill, Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa

Centre: Dean Whare, Travis Roche, Kane Linnett

Halves: Beau Henry, Kyle Stanley, Scott Rosser, Josh Kent

Lock: Wes Suckley, Alex McKinnon, Nathan Jones, Brad Hudson, Sam Campbell

2nd Row: Jarrod Thompson, Alex McKinnon, Wes Suckley, Jake Marketo, Ken Edwards, Jack Stockwell, Clifford Morris, Brad Hudson, Nathan Jones, Sam Campbell

Prop: Tom Hancock, Trent Merrin, Jack Stockwell, Wes Suckley, Shannon Wakeman, Ken Edwards, Sam Campbell

Hooker: Cameron King, Mitch Rein, Brock Dunn

Utility: Cameron King, Brad Hudson, Josh Kent

Also Jarrod Broderick hasn't played yet but he'll be in amongst the best outside backs. Ahead of two of the current starters in Raiwalui and Fai-Fai Loa.

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
Who are you counting in the 19 under contract players? I have got the following

Darius Boyd
Beau Scott
Matt Cooper
Jason Nightingale
Jamie Soward
Ben Hornby
Dean Young
Michael Weyman
Ben Creagh
Matt Prior
Jeremy Smith
Jarrod Saffy
Dan Hunt
Neville Costigan
Nathan Fien
Chase Stanley
Daniel Fepuleai
Luke Priddis

dragonfire

Bench
Man we have some good depth, like i havent really seen before, especially in the backline when an international player cant crack the starting side.

Latest posts